Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    HELP!

Just before the summer started i signed a 12-month tenancy agreement with 'Campus Cribs' in Bolton for a room in a shared student house, but over the course of the summer circumstances have happened which means i might have to leave university!

I haven't even moved into the house yet as I'm not allowed until September 9th, but when i called them they said that since I've already signed a contract I'd be liable for full rent over the next 12 months, or until I (or they) find a new tenant.

The story behind my leaving university is because I am being made to repeat a year due to not completing a number of assignments. But unfortunately I've had a word with the SLC but they say they can't fund the repeated year because i've already used up my 'gift' year (i switched courses 1st year.) And i cant afford to fund the year myself.

On top of this the reason i got really behind on my coursework and attendance is because in the last semester before the summer, me and my family found out my mum had a brain tumour, and she had to have major surgery to have it removed. She didn't do so well in hospital after the surgery so i had to be at home a lot of the time, and she's been really struggling since then too.

So basically i only just signed the tenancy agreement just before the summer started, but over the course of the summer my mum's been struggling more and more. And THEN she went to see a doctor for some scan results two weeks ago, and we've found out that the surgery hasn't worked, so she's going to have to have a large course of radio-therapy!

With all this happening i really think that leaving university is my best option, but i REALLY can't afford to pay rent for a room in a shared house i'm not living in. And with my mum being out of work now my parents CANNOT afford to be paying the contract for me (they are the guarantors.)

I've been getting really upset and stressed over this and i am desperately wondering if there is any way to convince a landlord to surrender an agreement??

Please help!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Linds3112;49434683]HELP!

Just before the summer started i signed a 12-month tenancy agreement with 'Campus Cribs' in Bolton for a room in a shared student house, but over the course of the summer circumstances have happened which means i might have to leave university!

I haven't even moved into the house yet as I'm not allowed until September 9th, but when i called them they said that since I've already signed a contract I'd be liable for full rent over the next 12 months, or until I (or they) find a new tenant.

The story behind my leaving university is because I am being made to repeat a year due to not completing a number of assignments. But unfortunately I've had a word with the SLC but they say they can't fund the repeated year because i've already used up my 'gift' year (i switched courses 1st year.) And i cant afford to fund the year myself.

On top of this the reason i got really behind on my coursework and attendance is because in the last semester before the summer, me and my family found out my mum had a brain tumour, and she had to have major surgery to have it removed. She didn't do so well in hospital after the surgery so i had to be at home a lot of the time, and she's been really struggling since then too.

So basically i only just signed the tenancy agreement just before the summer started, but over the course of the summer my mum's been struggling more and more. And THEN she went to see a doctor for some scan results two weeks ago, and we've found out that the surgery hasn't worked, so she's going to have to have a large course of radio-therapy!

With all this happening i really think that leaving university is my best option, but i REALLY can't afford to pay rent for a room in a shared house i'm not living in. And with my mum being out of work now my parents CANNOT afford to be paying the contract for me (they are the guarantors.)

I've been getting really upset and stressed over this and i am desperately wondering if there is any way to convince a landlord to surrender an agreement??

Please help![/QUO

call the university's advice center for help.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation with the rent thing, I've just signed a 12month tenancy on a shared house with boyfriend and friends and now want to change uni and course but am stuck in the house (have no option of getting out of it as sharing a room with my bf with high rent so cant really get someone else to move in haha) But my advice would be get posting on your uni accommodation websites, if they have one, and try and find someone who needs a room there's always people who didn't think they were going to get in who do and people who wanna move ect especially in September so just try and find someone to replace you then you'll probs just lose any agency fees you paid ect but at least you wont have to pay the rent. Sorry to hear about you mum,sounds like you're having a really hard time, you maybe be able to get around the contract with extenuating circumstances if it's through a uni based company if its normal estate agents then probably not, but it may not be as hard as you think to find someone to fill your place

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.