Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'It's never OK for a man to hit a woman!' Watch

ReputationRep:
    'It's never OK for a man to hit a woman' is something I hear quite a lot and it makes me sad, not because I suddenly want it to be acceptable to hit women, but because it suggests hitting a man is actually a justifiable thing to do. Why is it okay for anybody to hit anybody? Gender aside, don't hit people.

When would you say hitting someone is actually a justifiable act?

ReputationRep:
    When they hit you first (an eye for an eye) not SRS

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess the only situation I can think of is self-defense. I don't understand the whole "omfg you can't hit a woman!11" thing either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowster)
    'It's never OK for a man to hit a woman' is something I hear quite a lot and it makes me sad, not because I suddenly want it to be acceptable to hit women, but because it suggests hitting a man is actually a justifiable thing to do. Why is it okay for anybody to hit anybody? Gender aside, don't hit people.

When would you say hitting someone is actually a justifiable act?

When you are getting properly attacked. Gender doesn't come into it in that sense. Of course, if it's a woman you should turn it on its head, or a man, and start beating THEM up but just sort of self-defence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    When they hit you first (an eye for an eye) not SRS

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm ****ing serious.

I don't care if you're a man or woman or tgender; if you hit me I'll hit you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    I'm ****ing serious.

Lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's understandable if she hit him first.

ReputationRep:
    If she acts like a man then expect to get treated like one.

ReputationRep:
    In a situation where the flight in fight or flight has been ruled out, I'd say it's justifiable to hit somebody. However, if an average unarmed man strikes an average unarmed woman, I would say this was excessive, as the man could probably restrain her without having to actually hit her, simply due to physical power differences.

ReputationRep:
    Live by the word, die by the word.

ReputationRep:
    I think if someone hits you then you have the right to hit them back, I don't think it's fair that woman can give it to a man and then complain when she gets it back

It's not okay to hit anybody

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you hit her with

Nah, its never ok to hit anyone regardless of gender unless they seem intent on physically hurting you then you have the right to defend yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DontWantYourBloodMoney)
    In a situation where the flight in fight or flight has been ruled out, I'd say it's justifiable to hit somebody. However, if an average unarmed man strikes an average unarmed woman, I would say this was excessive, as the man could probably restrain her without having to actually hit her, simply due to physical power differences.
    I'd get beaten up easily by most women, I'm a wimp. If in doubt, just run away.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok for a man to hit a woman in the context that the woman initiates physical violence on him. In other words, she gets what's coming to her.

ReputationRep:
    I think that if she hits you first, you have a right to defend yourself, as long as you don't full out beat her.

Another unfair double standard is the men being able to sleep around without being shamed whilst women are called sluts for it. I don't get that.

ReputationRep:
    Genuine self defence is always justifiable, regardless of the genders of the people involved. If a woman or man attacked me I would be perfectly within my rights to fight back. This isn't a feminist issue in any way.

ReputationRep:
    Do you want to be known as the woman beater like Chris Brown. If yes beat the heck out of the woman

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solivagant)
    I'd get beaten up easily by most women, I'm a wimp. If in doubt, just run away.
    Which is why I said an average man and average woman, and the part about when flight isn't an option. Obviously if the woman is significantly stronger than the man, then they could restrain the man rather than actually hit him.

ReputationRep:
    It's wrong for people to hit anyone. This statement is so sexist - it's also wrong for women to hit men. Men to hit men, women to hit women. However, If a woman hits a bloke then the bloke should hit them back. If you ain't a lady then expect to be treated like a man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    I'm ****ing serious.

Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.