The Student Room Group

Mirtazapine

Hey guys,

I have severe social anxiety and I've been on different medications for it in the past (Fluoxetine, Venlafaxine) but today my doctor put me on Mirtazapine. I know that benzodiapines are normally used to treat anxiety, but I can't use them because of asthma.

Has anyone ever had success using this medication?
I'm on mirtazapine and have been for a few years now so pretty much all side effects have worn off for me. I also have social anxiety and found that the mirtazapine didn't really help with that at all (it helped a lot with depression though, hence why I still take it). BUT what works for one person may not work for another and vice-versa so I'd recommend giving it a go and seeing what it does for you. I know it does help some people a lot so don't be disheartened by my post. Just to give you an idea of the side effects: to start with it made me really sleepy, this effect tends to wear off at higher doses. It also made me very hungry and I put some weight on - to minimize this try snacking on low calorie foods, I found carrots and celery keep my mouth busy without adding loads of calories and therefore weight gain. This has also worn off for me now although it took a good couple of years.

Good luck - I hope it works for you!
I also have severe Social anxiety and have been through a whole lot of different medications for it over the years and despite the side effects of Mirtazapine (knocking me out really fast at night, and an increased appetite) I have found them the best for keeping my anxiety on an almost even keel. I also have asthma but have been prescribed benzodiazepines for very short term use in extreme instances of anxiety, and got on ok with those (although the ones I was prescribed are addictive, so I don't think anyone would recommend them for long term use!)
Reply 3
Also went on Mirtazapine for SA. If you like sleeping for more than half the day, this is the drug for you!

In all seriousness, did nothing for anxiety or depression. I just slept.
I got on really well with mirtazipine, at lower doses (15mg) it can be quite sedating but I found that to be a good thing as I struggle with sleeping. It really helped my anxiety.

Quick Reply

Latest