The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

I also keep saying all the wrong things today :frown:
I could really do with some help if someone is willing to read this.

I go to University on the 13th of September and am incredibly nervous about it. I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 2011 and was suffering from it for about 2 years before it was diagnosed. In that period of time I have literally lost all my friends and basically live the life of a recluse. I had a job for a year last year but ended up relapsing three times due to the stress, but during one of my better periods I thought I could handle university and so applied and got 3 unconditional offers. Now though I feel very apprehensive about the whole thing and I'm not sure how I will cope.

I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't make that many (if any) friends while I'm in halls and I'm OK with that but I'm still really nervous about the whole thing. The course I'm doing is something I've wanted to do for years but never felt like I had the chance. Now I don't want to relapse again because of the pressure so I'm concerned about what I'm going to do. Has anyone got any advice for me at all?
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy

I go to University on the 13th of September and am incredibly nervous about it. I was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia in 2011 and was suffering from it for about 2 years before it was diagnosed. In that period of time I have literally lost all my friends and basically live the life of a recluse. I had a job for a year last year but ended up relapsing three times due to the stress, but during one of my better periods I thought I could handle university and so applied and got 3 unconditional offers. Now though I feel very apprehensive about the whole thing and I'm not sure how I will cope.

I've come to the conclusion that I probably won't make that many (if any) friends while I'm in halls and I'm OK with that but I'm still really nervous about the whole thing. The course I'm doing is something I've wanted to do for years but never felt like I had the chance. Now I don't want to relapse again because of the pressure so I'm concerned about what I'm going to do. Has anyone got any advice for me at all?

Awesome advice for people with MH issues at uni.

And try not to do yourself down. :hugs: Yes, it'll be difficult, but if it's something you're really passionate about then you'll find a way. :smile: You might even surprise yourself and make a few friends! Have you tried looking up the course/uni on TSR and seeing if there's a chat thread? I managed to find a really nice course-mate through doing that.
Original post by McNuggetsAhoy

I think uni will be really good for you. I suggest you get support sorted out fairly quickly (DSA, student support) and they can really help you.

I went through uni with undiagnosed paranoia, and i really think if id have had a diagnosis my time at uni would have been better, and had much more support.

Everyone thinks "ill never make friends" but because noone has friends there they make them.

I really hope this works out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by superwolf
I don't have PTSD myself but that still sounds interesting. :smile: It's weird how many recreational drugs have potential therapeutic qualities - makes me want to be a guinea pig myself. :tongue:

Keep an eye on MAPS. They're doing work on it currently. They recently did some crowd funding to complete phase 2 of their research for this, which is in progress. Phase 2 involves trying it on up to 24 people at each of about 5 separate facilities, according to information I've read (off the top of my head). So far its been very promising. They hope to finish phase 2 by 2016 and then they'll start phase 3 with hundreds of subjects. Once this is done in 2021 they'll seek FDA approval to use it as a treatment. There are 2 AMAs on reddit somewhere about guys who've had the treatment. Plus a bunch of other info.

It is fascinating. There has begun to be a resurgence in research for medical use on psychedelic substances unfortunately due to political, legal and media **** it's not easy. Many of these substances are still considered of no medical value which clearly isn't true and are schedule 1'd so it's hard to get clearance. Many scientists believe several substances are very safe, especially when taken correctly, and of course believe they have huge medical potential. Not only as treatments but learning about the human brain. Research was quite popular on psychedelics until 1970 when it all ground to a halt. Apparently because of the Vietnam war. I believe it was because they thought that politicians thought these drugs would mean people wouldn't be prepared to fight and therefore spread propaganda about the apparent dangers.

David Nutt, robin carhart-harris and rick doblin are all well known names to me in this field.
(edited 9 years ago)

Awesome advice for people with MH issues at uni.

And try not to do yourself down. :hugs: Yes, it'll be difficult, but if it's something you're really passionate about then you'll find a way. :smile: You might even surprise yourself and make a few friends! Have you tried looking up the course/uni on TSR and seeing if there's a chat thread? I managed to find a really nice course-mate through doing that.

Original post by PandaWho
I think uni will be really good for you. I suggest you get support sorted out fairly quickly (DSA, student support) and they can really help you.

I went through uni with undiagnosed paranoia, and i really think if id have had a diagnosis my time at uni would have been better, and had much more support.

Everyone thinks "ill never make friends" but because noone has friends there they make them.

I really hope this works out for you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated :smile:.

The support seems especially important. Thankfully I've got DSA sorted which took quite awhile. All I need to do now is make an appointment with student support when I get to Uni and have registered on the course. I'm hopeful it'll help out as I have issues with lots of people being around me.
Hey guys! :biggrin:

I've struggled with mental health issues for a few years and am now going into Year 13.
Should I mention them on my UCAS (ie in the disability box)?
It has made things a lot harder especially around exam time but it doesn't show because I got 10 A*s at GCSE and 5 As this year. Wanting to apply to Cambridge, Bath, UCL, Edinburgh and Manchester.
Is it worth mentioning anywhere? I'd ask my tutor to put it in the reference, but only one teacher knows and I'd rather the rest didn't.
Original post by k_slatch

I've struggled with mental health issues for a few years and am now going into Year 13.
It has made things a lot harder especially around exam time but it doesn't show because I got 10 A*s at GCSE and 5 As this year. Wanting to apply to Cambridge, Bath, UCL, Edinburgh and Manchester.
Is it worth mentioning anywhere? I'd ask my tutor to put it in the reference, but only one teacher knows and I'd rather the rest didn't.

Others might be able to help more, but ultimately its your choice, if you dont want teachers you do know knowing, do you want potential lecturers? I dont think it will make much difference either way :dontknow:
Also is it diagnosed, or a self diagnosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey. :smile:

I'd mention it in the disability box, but not bother elsewhere. With those grades you should easily get in on your own merits without having to explain your problems to people, so unless if you're applying for something where having personal experience with MH difficulties might actually be relevant (such as nursing etc.) I'd say it's unnecessary to tell what are only your prospective unis about your illness.

Once you've firmed somewhere on the other hand, I'd really encourage your talking to the uni's disability support office and disclosing as much as you feel comfortable with, so they can support you to the maximum level. You might also find it useful to read through the link I posted to McNuggetsAhoy, which has a lot of good advice about going to uni with a mental illness. :smile:
Others might be able to help more, but ultimately its your choice, if you dont want teachers you do know knowing, do you want potential lecturers? I dont think it will make much difference either way :dontknow:
Also is it diagnosed, or a self diagnosis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's a good shout, thanks! Diagnosed

Hey. :smile:

I'd mention it in the disability box, but not bother elsewhere. With those grades you should easily get in on your own merits without having to explain your problems to people, so unless if you're applying for something where having personal experience with MH difficulties might actually be relevant (such as nursing etc.) I'd say it's unnecessary to tell what are only your prospective unis about your illness.

Once you've firmed somewhere on the other hand, I'd really encourage your talking to the uni's disability support office and disclosing as much as you feel comfortable with, so they can support you to the maximum level. You might also find it useful to read through the link I posted to McNuggetsAhoy, which has a lot of good advice about going to uni with a mental illness. :smile:

That's really helpful! thank you!

I mentioned it in the disability box ^^ The support I had in place before I went to uni was invaluable; so I'd recommend it to anyone. Have you thought about applying for DSA too since you've mentioned it's diagnosed?
Original post by Deyesy
I mentioned it in the disability box ^^ The support I had in place before I went to uni was invaluable; so I'd recommend it to anyone. Have you thought about applying for DSA too since you've mentioned it's diagnosed?

DSA?? I know absolutely nothing about it
DSA?? I know absolutely nothing about it

Disabled Students Allowance :smile: It can help you with equipment for university - such as a dictaphone to record lectures if you suffer from anxiety or just can't focus in a lecture at all because of your mental health; it can help you with monatary costs such as printer ink and non essential books; you can get a study support helper who can help you outside of your lectures with things such learning how to reference, how to structure essay's properly to a university standard etc. ^^

I got a laptop, printer and dictaphone equipment wise and have a general allowance of around £300 per year for printer ink and non-core textbooks each academic year.

Again. Worthwhile support if you don't mind having it available to you. The support isn't means tested either :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Deyesy
Disabled Students Allowance :smile: It can help you with equipment for university - such as a dictaphone to record lectures if you suffer from anxiety or just can't focus in a lecture at all because of your mental health; it can help you with monatary costs such as printer ink and non essential books; you can get a study support helper who can help you outside of your lectures with things such learning how to reference, how to structure essay's properly to a university standard etc. ^^

I got a laptop, dictaphone and a printer equipment wise and have a general allowance of around £300 per year for printer ink and non-core textbooks each academic year.

Again. Worthwhile support if you don't mind having it available to you. The support isn't means tested either :smile:

Oh that's awesome- sounds so useful!! I'll look into it, thank you!
Stressful- I hate UCAS!! But we're going out for dinner so not all bad :smile:

You??
Yeah that's a good shout, thanks! Diagnosed

That's really helpful! thank you!

Yeah, only disclose what your happy with, like wolfie said when you have a firm THEn contact them about things.
Going to uni with a diagnosis is possibly easier than being diagnosed half way through (i was diagnosed with depression half way through 3rd year then paranoia was added half way through my resit 3rd year so actually had such little support than i should have had)

Also i hear DSA is invaluable!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, only disclose what your happy with, like wolfie said when you have a firm THEn contact them about things.
Going to uni with a diagnosis is possibly easier than being diagnosed half way through (i was diagnosed with depression half way through 3rd year then paranoia was added half way through my resit 3rd year so actually had such little support than i should have had)

Also i hear DSA is invaluable!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fab thank you! I'll just tick the box for now then
I've not left my room all day but I got my 2nd free month of netflix so that makes things a bit better!

How is everyone on this Sunday?
erm, has anyone gone to uni with PTSD? I've already had the DSA assessment for my autism, NVLD, ADHD, raynaurds and dyslexcia, would they do anything for PTSD? for lack of better phrase xx
Original post by hellokittymad
erm, has anyone gone to uni with PTSD? I've already had the DSA assessment for my autism, NVLD, ADHD, raynaurds and dyslexcia, would they do anything for PTSD? for lack of better phrase xx

i don't have PTSD myself, but don't they generally lump that in with anxiety disorders?

Latest