The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Going to keep this short and basic or it'll be a dissertation. :tongue:

A few years ago I was diagnosed with depression and spent a period of time in hospital. Since then I've got better and I'm about 97% recovered.

I started uni a few weeks ago and since then I've been in a constant state of anxiety, even at home (I commute). This manifests itself in shaking, fast heart rate, cold sweats, unnecessary worry, always thinking the worst etc. I went into town today and found myself checking my bag for my phone and purse literally every 2 - 4 minutes because I was so paranoid that I had lost them.

Basically, I don't know what to do. Will this go away? I really don't want a massive relapse.

Hey sweetie. Uni is a pretty big step for anyone to take and I'm sure that, once you get used to being there, your symptoms will disappear
:hugs:
Original post by trekkin
Hey sweetie. Uni is a pretty big step for anyone to take and I'm sure that, once you get used to being there, your symptoms will disappear
:hugs:

Hey, thanks for your reply. I hope so :hugs:
Original post by rmhumphries
I find in my limited experience; when moving to a new area, if you are in need of decisions being made, GPs will usually refer you on to a psychiatrist. It sounds like you will be anyway. #4 isn't a particularly high number; it is possible whoever said that was anti-drugs - however if you push for a solution involving medication, I think they usually will try, even if they are reluctant - and you can always ask for a second opinion if they don't.

I thought that might be the case, failing that I'm just going to ask to be referred. I did get the impression that he was pushing the therapy at me quite a lot, I'm happy to try different meds. Mostly just concerned that I need to be able to put in ~70 hours/week for my course and I already feel a little zombified on current medication (when I'm not really really awake) so would do with being able to think properly too.
Original post by Valvopus

That's not true, unless you're talking about St. John's of course *cough* rather be at Oxford *cough*

:nothing:

:teehee:

:ninja:

Original post by Anonymous
Going to keep this short and basic or it'll be a dissertation. :tongue:

A few years ago I was diagnosed with depression and spent a period of time in hospital. Since then I've got better and I'm about 97% recovered.

I started uni a few weeks ago and since then I've been in a constant state of anxiety, even at home (I commute). This manifests itself in shaking, fast heart rate, cold sweats, unnecessary worry, always thinking the worst etc. I went into town today and found myself checking my bag for my phone and purse literally every 2 - 4 minutes because I was so paranoid that I had lost them.

Basically, I don't know what to do. Will this go away? I really don't want a massive relapse.

Hey,

It may well be a short-term thing. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to get in touch with your new uni's disability department and/or your new GP, just so that you can keep an eye on things. Best to do these things sooner than later, trust me :eek:
Original post by tasha96
You know you've been unwell far too long when you get excited that the chemists have changed their packaging... :sigh: :facepalm: :colondollar:

I wish my chemist would change its packaging :sad:
Though one of my meds i get every so often is in a bright pink packet at this chemist which i got overexcited by :party:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha96
You know you've been unwell far too long when you get excited that the chemists have changed their packaging... :sigh: :facepalm: :colondollar:

or when you get excited because you get to start a new blister pack on a monday and it's labelled with the days of the week :colondollar:
Original post by tasha96

Over here medication comes in little orange bottles. I easily have a few hundred of them - pretty much everywhere you look in my apartment you see little orange bottles. :colondollar: I keep meaning to recycle them....
(edited 9 years ago)
horrible flashback :cry: :cry: anxiety so bad. why am I living why why why
Original post by PandaWho
I wish my chemist would change its packaging :sad:
Though one of my meds i get every so :colone:often is in a bright pink packet at this chemist which i got overexcited by :party:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh pink.. :colone:
Original post by Team_McDreamy
or when you get excited because you get to start a new blister pack on a monday and it's labelled with the days of the week :colondollar:

:eek3:
Mine dont come like that! :sad:
Original post by Sabertooth
Over here medication comes in little orange bottles. I easily have a few hundred of them - pretty much everywhere you look in my apartment you see little orange bottles. :colondollar: I keep meaning to recycle them....

:hugs: My mum always says anybody going through our bins are going to get a shock at the number of blister packs I throw away. :colondollar:

Original post by ScaryScience
horrible flashback :cry: :cry: anxiety so bad. why am I living why why why

:jumphug:
Can you ground? :hugs:
Original post by tasha96

:eek3:
Mine dont come like that! :sad:

:sad:
you're missing out :tongue:
Original post by tasha96
Oooh pink.. :colone:

:hugs: My mum always says anybody going through our bins are going to get a shock at the number of blister packs I throw away. :colondollar:

Yep :ahee: i got far too excited when i first picked them up as id only ever had boring packs before, but havnt ordered any for a while so it may have changed.

Haha im tidying the bedroom ready for the new bed and finding loads of blister packs! Hope noone goes through that bin bag!
But between me and rory we go through LOADS haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Team_McDreamy
:sad:
you're missing out :tongue:

I know. :sad: Feeling quite hard done by now... :tongue:
How are you lovely? :smile: :hugs:

Yep :ahee: i got far too excited when i first picked them up as id only ever had boring packs before, but havnt ordered any for a while so it may have changed.

Haha im tidying the bedroom ready for the new bed and finding loads of blister packs! Hope noone goes through that bin bag!
But between me and rory we go through LOADS haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The most exciting mine ever get is that sometimes instead of three fluoxetine 20 I get one massive fluoxetine 60. And it looks like something you'd give a horse. :tongue:
:erm::erm:
Original post by Valvopus
I thought that might be the case, failing that I'm just going to ask to be referred. I did get the impression that he was pushing the therapy at me quite a lot, I'm happy to try different meds. Mostly just concerned that I need to be able to put in ~70 hours/week for my course and I already feel a little zombified on current medication (when I'm not really really awake) so would do with being able to think properly too.

Therapy isn't a bad idea, but I think you can get the best results from attacking the problem at all angles, i.e. meds and therapy combined. While I am not certain off-hand, then I am sure there a drugs in a class you haven't tried that are not sedating, or zombifing more precisely. Possibly ask for advice here on a few possible drugs before your next appointment, so you have some ideas of drugs which might work well.
Original post by IDukem
:erm::erm:

Whats up dude?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by plasmaman
Hey what are the placements in?

A catholic secondary school - I'm a trainee teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tasha96

The most exciting mine ever get is that sometimes instead of three fluoxetine 20 I get one massive fluoxetine 60. And it looks like something you'd give a horse. :tongue:

paracetamol now looks like horse tranquilisers, now i'm used to the size of 50mg sertraline.

Same old same old.
Original post by tasha96

it actually gets quite confusing if you miss a date because then you're one day behind but you don't always remember that when you go to take it :tongue:

lil bit better than earlier today, i think. 8:00PM dash to the hall's vending machine may have happened :ninja: still not great though, feeling wobbly
Original post by IDukem
Same old same old.

:jumphug: can always PM me, or if you want my facebook or skype you can have it :lovehug:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest