The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society Mk XIV

Scroll to see replies

Thank you for the support guys. I thought I was just being weird. I think it's maybe just the way my department is since nobody seems to spend much time with each other.

I have a meeting tomorrow with somebody from the uni so might mention it there. Haven't had meetings I'm supposed to have had and not really getting much support at the moment.

Gah.

Anyway, had news that my boat is ready to be moved this weekend so I should be able to stay on it from next week. Just picked out some lovely fabric for the curtains and started my origami fairy lights. It's going to be a snuggly whimsy hidey hole where I can run away and be alone.

Getting disapproving comments from my in-laws because they think I'm better in hotels but I'd rather have somewhere safe that I can store my stuff instead of having to lug it around all day. Even if it just gives me breathing space to be alone that'll help my mental health. My family are taking me out in a couple of weeks to teach me how to drive it but for now I'll focus on making it lovely, warm and stupidly snuggly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jean-Luc Picard
the whole Freud stuff just pushed me over the edge tbh, that and them having some bloke on the news basically saying the only value humans have is how much profit can be exploited out of them for the markets followed by him saying that those with learning difficulties (people like me basically) aren't "worth as much" because we give less profit, it's sickening, dehumanizing depraved **** & im sick of hearing it.

If someone's doing a job, they're doing a job? It doesn't matter if they're black or white or male or female or are classed as disabled or not classed as disabled. If they are able to do the job they should be paid for it as anyone else doing that job is, and the same amount. Everyone has different strengths, and just because someone, say, struggles with maths (learning difficulty or not, it's just the first example that came into my head) doesn't mean they should be paid less in a job that only requires writing skills or something! :unimpressed:

/rant, sorry guys! Probably not the place for this in here :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
If someone's doing a job, they're doing a job? It doesn't matter if they're black or white or male or female or are classed as disabled or not classed as disabled. If they are able to do the job they should be paid for it as anyone else doing that job is, and the same amount. Everyone has different strengths, and just because someone, say, struggles with maths (learning difficulty or not, it's just the first example that came into my head) doesn't mean they should be paid less in a job that only requires writing skills or something! :unimpressed:

/rant, sorry guys! Probably not the place for this in here :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yup, I agree, people should get a fair days pay for a fair days work regardless of who they are! what they were saying applies to people with mental health issues as well so this kind of is the place imo, there are people basically saying that we are worth less than other humans because of things we have no control over, it's repulsive.
yup, I agree, people should get a fair days pay for a fair days work regardless of who they are! what they were saying applies to people with mental health issues as well so this kind of is the place imo, there are people basically saying that we are worth less than other humans because of things we have no control over, it's repulsive.

Exactly! I don't know why anyone would make those kind of comments tbh, it's obviously going to offend people and is just so ridiculous that I don't really see how someone could have that opinion if they actually stopped to think about it :redface:

How are you, anyway? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly! I don't know why anyone would make those kind of comments tbh, it's obviously going to offend people and is just so ridiculous that I don't really see how someone could have that opinion if they actually stopped to think about it :redface:

How are you, anyway? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can think of a few reasons but they probably aren't appropriate to say here :tongue:

bit calmer after a quick nap, might play a game for a bit or something to take my mind off things, got therapy tomorrow so mixture of anxious/looking forward to it tbh!
I can think of a few reasons but they probably aren't appropriate to say here :tongue:

bit calmer after a quick nap, might play a game for a bit or something to take my mind off things, got therapy tomorrow so mixture of anxious/looking forward to it tbh!

Fair enough :lol:

Good :smile: Games are good for taking mind off things, not that I've ever really got into them unless you count sims or something :colondollar: From what I've heard about therapy that's probably about right, people seem to come away feeling worse but then it helps (or not) in the long run? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Fair enough :lol:

Good :smile: Games are good for taking mind off things, not that I've ever really got into them unless you count sims or something :colondollar: From what I've heard about therapy that's probably about right, people seem to come away feeling worse but then it helps (or not) in the long run? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile:

yeah, I play a lot of different games tbh, doing a lot on FIFA atm :tongue: well I don't know how it will go yet but I know the therapist & they are normally good so hopefully will be okay, just a bit unsure what to mention/not to mention I guess
:smile:

yeah, I play a lot of different games tbh, doing a lot on FIFA atm :tongue: well I don't know how it will go yet but I know the therapist & they are normally good so hopefully will be okay, just a bit unsure what to mention/not to mention I guess

Never been into football either, so that counts me out :lol: Fair enough, just mention whatever you think of at the time? Or write a list? I've never had it, but even going to the doctors or something I always forget most of what I'm meant to be saying so writing a list would probably make sense for me, too :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Never been into football either, so that counts me out :lol: Fair enough, just mention whatever you think of at the time? Or write a list? I've never had it, but even going to the doctors or something I always forget most of what I'm meant to be saying so writing a list would probably make sense for me, too :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's okay haha, the Sims I play sometimes as well, can be good fun to mould their lives :smile: I might make a quick list on my ipad to take with me, so I at least mention the most pressing stuff on my mind!
that's okay haha, the Sims I play sometimes as well, can be good fun to mould their lives :smile: I might make a quick list on my ipad to take with me, so I at least mention the most pressing stuff on my mind!

I've not played it in ages, might do that tomorrow if I need a distraction! Yeah could be a good idea- if all else fails you could at least just hand it to the person then, I'd guess the explaining part is probably what's meant to help though so no idea, could just use it as a prompt :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deyesy

You studied economics at degree level? I'm picking up Latin as my lectures on Biopsychology go on :smile: Macho influences?
Yeah, I got through first year but 2nd year was a step up & I felt very demotivated & didn't attend a lot of lectures & stuff, my social life was pretty non-existent as well which didn't help my mood, just felt like suspending it really, may go back next year & try to finish it I'm not sure. Ah ok cool :smile: Just basically some guys to hang around with & talk/do some guy stuff. Can't be all girls, surely :tongue:
I have somehow become organised and I don't know where it came from :confused: but I've done so much today and I've even downloaded all tomorrow's lecture slides and backed them onto a usb stick just incase :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
I have somehow become organised and I don't know where it came from :confused: but I've done so much today and I've even downloaded all tomorrow's lecture slides and backed them onto a usb stick just incase :eek:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Woooo :smile:
Go socks!
Cant sleep
Feeling rather fat.
Still awake after no nap, an awful sleep last night, urgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really need to get my sleeping habits sorted out. Even when I get up early I still can't go to sleep at a reasonable hour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Abbie :)
Nah I didn't get to sleep, opted for a nap just there :smile:

How you manage to do uni on so little sleep is just completely admirable.

High, low and completely numb not feeling anything :tongue: Rumours are horrible :frown: Could you try and maybe do as much as possible with people outside of your course, like housemates or people on your floor or something? Doesn't stop lectures being no fun, but at least you can be hopefully alright the rest of the time, ish. I'm taking a gap year, will do physics next year hopefully if I get in!

Sadly not feeling anything is sometimes a positive >.< My flatmates are lovely - I can't really complain about them. They're just all very close together and somewhat the outsider. I'm doing something outside of the flat and my course which involves new people and socials which is definitely a good thing. I've just got to somehow grim and bare facing going into uni for 3 years. Any plans for this year? Volunteering or travelling or? Decided on where you want to apply to?

Original post by Multitalented me
Yeah, I got through first year but 2nd year was a step up & I felt very demotivated & didn't attend a lot of lectures & stuff, my social life was pretty non-existent as well which didn't help my mood, just felt like suspending it really, may go back next year & try to finish it I'm not sure. Ah ok cool :smile: Just basically some guys to hang around with & talk/do some guy stuff. Can't be all girls, surely :tongue:

I've heard from others there's a step up from 1st to 2nd year. How come you felt demotivated? :/ And the non-existant social life? :/ Better to suspend it than continuing and coming out knowing you didn't give it your best shot and being disappointed with the end result. There's a few on my course but I'd say it's about 85-90% female? So there's about 30-40-ish males out of about 250 of us on the course in total?
Sick of this not sleeping *******s, sick of a lot of things.
Original post by Meaty_man
Sick of this not sleeping *******s, sick of a lot of things.

:console: there anyone you can ask about it at all?

Latest