Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I would like to know if it is possible to get a place in medicine if I re-sit my whole AS year. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Most medical courses don't like resitting. Be careful.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Ms. Epic)
    Hey guys, I would like to know if it is possible to get a place in medicine if I re-sit my whole AS year. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
    Have a look here for information regarding resit policies: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...Resit_Policies

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly the situation I am considering! Lol.

I hope you don't mind me asking, but how did you do?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pretty much nil, a handful will consider resits after a2 in extenuating circumstances but none will accept an AS year resit.

ReputationRep:
    Might be time to accept defeat mate

ReputationRep:
    Pretty unlikely, most specify A levels in 3 years. If you really want med do A2 and resit the AS modules within the year.

ReputationRep:
    Biomed to Med post-grad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helloworld_95)
    Pretty much nil, a handful will consider resits after a2 in extenuating circumstances but none will accept an AS year resit.
    How do you know? Is it not better to resit now then later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker12345)
    Pretty unlikely, most specify A levels in 3 years. If you really want med do A2 and resit the AS modules within the year.
    But then, if you are resitting AS would you still not be completing your A-Levels within three years?

ReputationRep:
    I resat my AS year and am now studying medicine at keele from September

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I resat my AS year and will now be studyin medicine at keele from September, ask me anything and I'll do my best to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MissBellyrina)
    Because I applied to medicine and was in a situation where I didn't have the best grades but did have extenuating circumstances. But no, it's not better to resit now, they'd rather see you try to get the grades in the same time frame as everyone else first before resorting to extra years.

ReputationRep:
    But then, if you are resitting AS would you still not be completing your A-Levels within three years?
    No. You do A levels this year. Resit the bad AS modules AS WELL.

ReputationRep:
    I did this and will be studying medicine at keele starting next month so feel free to ask anything and I'll do y best to help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

He's definitely right. I know because I studied the policies in detail when applying to medicine whilst wanting to resit A2, they all specify A levels in 3 years but some allow you to resit A2, especially if you had extenuating circumstances.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ibbyb94)
    I resat my AS year and am now studying medicine at keele from September

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Any further details on that? Like extenuating circumstances, gap years, etc?

ReputationRep:
    Although i'm not in as bad a position to think of redoing the whole year of AS, I am in by no means the 'perfect' position. I am going to tank it and take some AS Resits as well as do the A2 and aim high! All depends on work ethic... which I will improve.

Do you really think you can do so many exams in one period? If so, go with what I am doing .

ReputationRep:
    Any further details on that? Like extenuating circumstances, gap years, etc?
    No extenuating circumstances, my parents sent me to boarding school in year 12 I didn't a just quick enough did poorly, so came back redid sixth form at my local school, applied in year 13 with AAAB grades, didn't get in anywhere, decided to take a gap year and applied again, got an offer thank god lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toxiictests)
    Although i'm not in as bad a position to think of redoing the whole year of AS, I am in by no means the 'perfect' position. I am going to tank it and take some AS Resits as well as do the A2 and aim high! All depends on work ethic... which I will improve.

Do you really think you can do so many exams in one period? If so, go with what I am doing .
    Yes, you can. What grades did you get? Mine of my friends had BBBB at AS, resat within A2 year and ended up with A*A*A, all within the two years (she wanted to do dentistry so needed it too)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.