Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I always knew it would be a risk to re take year 12 but I really want to be a vet and did not do well enough first time. I worked very hard this year and achieved 5 As in my AS exams. Am I still at a serious disadvantage?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I have known people who re-took year 12 and still got into vet school - a friend of mine did this and got into RVC. Not all vet schools allow resits, but others will - do your research.

I would say that you also need a strong work experience record and PS so it's not just about applying with the right grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverstarDJ)
    I have known people who re-took year 12 and still got into vet school - a friend of mine did this and got into RVC. Not all vet schools allow resits, but others will - do your research.

I would say that you also need a strong work experience record and PS so it's not just about applying with the right grades.
    Yeah before I decided to retake I rang up the vet schools I was interested in and asked, it's fine for Notts, RVC and Liverpool which are my favourites anyway. And also Surrey which will be worth applying to I guess.
    I have about 17 weeks so far, but I am thinking of taking a gap year as I really want to make up for my re sit with work ex. I was very reluctant to organise work exp for this summer as I was so worried about what my results would be.
    I know it's a silly thing to ask, but do you think it's better to have re-sat and got straight As or apply with Bs? I want to know if I would still be at the bottom of the pile as I know many people do apply to vet school with a few Bs or lower at AS.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 2344277)
    I know it's a silly thing to ask, but do you think it's better to have re-sat and got straight As or apply with Bs? I want to know if I would still be at the bottom of the pile as I know many people do apply to vet school with a few Bs or lower at AS.
    If you resit without extenuating circumstances then you really do limit your choices of where you can apply. In that respects, it might be better to work your ass off at A2 level to push your grades up, with a few retakes, especially if you got a solid/high Bs and know how you can push your grade up (ie you identified why you didn't perform as well and can rectify it). And if things go wrong, you might be able to retake year 13 or resit a few exams if you still failed to get the grades (so you're not limiting your choices so early on).

If there is a reason why you grades were lower beyond your control, e.g. illness, bereavement, then it is safe to repeat a year as you will be classified as a first time applicant, so long as you can prove this obviously. I have also heard this is true if you picked the wrong subjects because you had not realised you wanted to be a vet back then - but would advise to speak to unis about this.

Hope this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.