Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think all people are equally valuable? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think all people are equally valuable, or do you think some people in certain situations might be more valuable than others (say, a severely retarded patient vs. a doctor who could potentially save hundreds of lives)

ReputationRep:
    Well morally everyone is equal ie made of the same stuff with varied talents/potentials in different areas (whether socially pronounced or hidden). People are not equally valuable though for a variety of reasons such as as you say unfortunate genetics/illness, not making the most of themselves etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Masumah125)
    Do you think all people are equally valuable, or do you think some people in certain situations might be more valuable than others (say, a severely retarded patient vs. a doctor who could potentially save hundreds of lives)
    Yes, someone who can contribute more to the aggregate pleasure in the world than someone else is surely more valuable.

ReputationRep:
    It honestly depends on the situation but I think everyone is valuable and should be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    It honestly depends on the situation but I think everyone is valuable and should be appreciated
    Hitler?

ReputationRep:
    The difficulty surely arises when you try to define value. What does that mean? In what situations does that apply? What about other situations which require different skills?

Giving value to a human, or animal life, is essentially arbitrary to the point of complete irrelevance at best and a dangerous precedent for discrimination and exploitation at worst.

ReputationRep:
    Your value is detirmed by the extent to which you can satisfy the wants or needs of others.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm not a judgmental person.

ReputationRep:
    No.

67 Israelis = 1920 Palestinians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think some people are more valuable than others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pussy Galore)
    Your value is detirmed by the extent to which you can satisfy the wants or needs of others.
    No its not. We're not objects

ReputationRep:
    I don't think people are all equally valuable. That's absurd.

ReputationRep:
    I think what everyone is assuming here is that value = worth which in this case, when we're walking about human life is not the case.

You might be more valuable in terms of contribution to society but I think everyone's life is worth something and that although you might not be as skilled as the next person and might not be able to contribute to the world in the same way that doesn't mean your life is not worth anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    No its not. We're not objects

you are all objects of my desire

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.