Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do we really need an army? watch

ReputationRep:
    My brother is in his late twenties and is of the opinion that there shouldn't be an army, he doesn't agree with countries having armies. Apparently there are some countries without an army who do just fine. Does anyone know where he is coming from with this, are there lots of people who are if the same opinion? In my view it is simple..we need the army for defence/protection.

ReputationRep:
    A country without an army will be overrun by street gangs, that turn into warlords... it really wouldn't work if no one had an army.

ReputationRep:
    Yes we need an army.

As ignorant as this will sound, the countries without an army aren't really important anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I feel it's almost our duty to have an army, even though we're in relative peacetime (no immediate threats to the UK) it's important we have an army to support those countries in the middle East when they need it or to run rescue missions in Iraq. We're a relatively rich country so we're using some of our wealth to support less developed countries and employ our own citizens. Seems like a win, win for everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    until everyone can reach an agreement, there will always be an army, and people will never always agree so i guess armies will always exist so long as humans are alive and armies mean war, there can never be peace

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TornadoGR4)
    Yes we need an army.

As ignorant as this will sound, the countries without an army aren't really important anyway.
    I don't know what my brother is talking about then, he has held the opinion for years. It's not as though he is young and easily influenced.

ReputationRep:
    Yes although our foreign policy should be defence only, not intervention.

ReputationRep:
    But who will stop kim jong un?

ReputationRep:
    There needs to be a army because there's too much scum in the world .

ReputationRep:
    We need to have an army, it's as simple as that.

There's a case for changing our foreign policy but we need to have an army. It's great to have pacifist ideals, but that just isn't the world we live in. It's not the world of today or of tomorrow. Better talk quietly and carry a big stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    A country without an army will be overrun by street gangs, that turn into warlords... it really wouldn't work if no one had an army.
    Why would this happen? The army (at least in the UK) are not police officers, they have nothing to do with the prevention of doemstic crime.

ReputationRep:
    Only small countries do.

But then if somebody invades us by land, then what are we going to do?

Countries with no armies are like Tonga or small places like that. We need all four branches plus nukes....better safe than sorry.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    As a concept, no country should NEED an army or police or any form of protection - if everyone could be trusted and does not engage in crime or violence.

Oh look - what's that pink thing with four legs flying past my window?

Most people are satisfied with being happy and having a safe and reasonable standard of living. However, we all live in a very unequal world and some people crave wealth and power above and beyond reasonable which includes subjugation and oppression to impose their will on those unable to defend themselves.

A lack of insurance leaves fate open to hope and chance. Being able to afford a military insurance is something else.

Better hope those without military insurance can rely on the goodwill of hand-outs from the countries that can afford it.

And when the **** hits the fan, the countries with no insurance are in an untenable bargaining position. Hence why having a seat at the top table comes with the price tag of a credible and significant military.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunatley as long as one nation has an army most will need. It's the most basic concept, something that should be obvious to the most innocent child.

person A has a big stick
    person B has nothing

things can get along great for a while, then A and B have a disagreement. What stops A from using his stick on B?

It's classic escalation of arms, same reason so long as anyone has nukes then other people should have them. I would love it if nuclear bombs has never been invented, unfortunatley I don't think they will ever disappear from the face of the planet.

People who say we don't need an army live in cuckoo land. If people cared that much about cutting the defence budget they would propose an unpaid national service or local militia. Of course our military would then be usless for anything except island defence, which is pretty much where it is at nowadays anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    Why would this happen? The army (at least in the UK) are not police officers, they have nothing to do with the prevention of doemstic crime.
    Iraq ringing any bells to you?

The post suggested that no country at all needed an army, not just the UK. It MAY work in a country that's really small and with strong diplomatic ties to economic superpowers. Large countries and any country in the middle east NEEDS an army.

ReputationRep:
    Thing is our defence budget is large because we get in wars like Iraq or Sierra Leone that don't affect us. We even helped bomb ISIS, who gives a **** what they do? At least Muslims who were born and live here can go there if they hate UK culture so much lol.. Our defence budget would be a lot smaller if we didn't take part in ****ty wars overseas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Some countries have no armies and this doesn't happen (for example Costa Rica). The main concern for our armies at the moment would be the barbaric people in the Middle East who seen all to keen to destroy our way of life but not to live their own.

ReputationRep:
    Costa Rica and Iceland can afford not have a military, because they are so small it doesn't really matter and their security and sovereignty is insured by other regional powers. The United Kingdom on the other hand has interests across the world that can only be served by having a military capable of projecting it's force. We are a member of NATO and are expected to play an important role in the organisation. Without a military we would be unable to protect our seas, air space and overseas possessions, nor intervene in any conflict whatsoever, and our ability to distribute humanitarian aid would be greatly diminished. Although I believe going down the route of Soft Power is more important for the UK we still need to retain our hard power.

Britain could probably get rid of it's Army, and increase the size of it's Air force and Navy, by expanding the Royal Marines and RAF Regiment, keeping our Special forces and possibly the Gurkhas. We would be able to support operations much better, but would play a much more logistical role. But it would be a shame to loss an asset as great as the British Army.

ReputationRep:
    I can think of many reason why a country needs an army:

What if some armed malitia gane in a country started trying to overthrow their governmentputting British citizens in that country a risk. How, without an army, could we safely evacuate them? In 1994 during the Rwandan Genocide France used its army to evacuate French nationals who would otherwise have been killed.

What if lawlessness and armed gangs or terror organisations tried to turn an overseas territory into a hotbed for their illegal activities; the local olice couldn't cope? We would need an army to step in an ensure security in our own territory.

What if terror groups were slaughtering people in their thousands in an attempt to impose their own ideological views on a country, like we see in Iraq? We would need an army to step in an help out in a humanitarian mission.

Saying we don't need an army is as ludicrous as saying the world would all be perfect and function even better than it does now if the concept of money never existed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inthedark1)
    My brother is in his late twenties and is of the opinion that there shouldn't be an army, he doesn't agree with countries having armies. Apparently there are some countries without an army who do just fine. Does anyone know where he is coming from with this, are there lots of people who are if the same opinion? In my view it is simple..we need the army for defence/protection.
    We are a species who today is a predator by choice, a species who only ended the imperial age because we finally became so powerful that we could wipe everybody out in minutes. We are a divided and brutal species. Does your

Even if we ignore having a military for offensive capabilities such as defeating genocidal tyrants then we still have defensive concerns.

Does your brother really think that Russia would not invade given the chance.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.