Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am aged 22. Did my O' levels in 2008, completed A' levels in 2013 after resits and gap years (a terrible phase of my life). I have no work experience. My question are:
    1.Am I a mature student?
    2.would be compulsory to get in uni through access in my case?
    3.is the option to get in uni through access open for me?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

Generally, yes you are considered a 'mature' student in terms of your age.

I don't think you would need to do an access course if you already have A-levels, not unless you don't have the right grades or you want to study something completely different from what you studied for your A-levels.

My partner got an unconditional offer to do graphic design with A-levels that are 18 years old, with no work experience in the subject.

Always best to check with the unis.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I went to uni aged 44 and I didn't have to do an Access course. However the other mature student on my course did. Mature student entry is decided on a case-by-case basis but my situation seemed to be the exception rather than the rule for my uni.

I had been studying a couple of online courses relevant to my degree and one of my online tutors wrote my UCAS reference. I also had some practical experience in my degree field as a volunteer, some of which was with the uni I applied to, so I was known to staff who taught the course. I also went to a couple of Open Days and spoke to staff, to ensure that they remembered me.

Usually, the uni wants to see evidence of recent successful study, to show that you are capable. If you did A Levels a few years ago, they might still require an Access qualification to show that you're currently capable of studying at the right level. These days they're also quite strict about applicants having at least Grade C English and Maths GCSEs to ensure basic literacy and numeracy.

The only way to get a feel for your situation us to email a few uni Admissions Offices, tell them what degree(s) you're interested in and ask them whether they would accept your current qualifications or whether you need more. If they ask for an Access course, ask which type - there are different 'flavours' and it would be gutting to spend time and money doing the wrong one for your degree.

To answer your specific questions:
    1. You're borderline for some unis. My current one defines "mature" as 22 and over, but I've seen thresholds up to 25. Student Finance will not automatically assess you on your own income until you're 25 - before that age you will be assessed on your parents' income unless you can prove that you have supported yourself for 3 years before your course starts, you are estranged etc.

2. Not necessarily. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and you need to ask the unis about your particular course and situation.

3. Yes I don't see why not. If the unis won't accept your A Levels for whatever reason, Access would be a standard route in.

ReputationRep:
    I left school in 1991 my gcse results were nothing above an E. In 2005 I did a 6 month pc maintenance course and started working for pc world support line, then in 08 did an ou coures about basic computers then 2 years ago I started a part time IT Certificate and now I got an unconditional place at studying an BSc (Hons) Computing at Sheffield Hallam. I'm 39 married with 2 children. I read alot on the forum people been on access course but if like myself you have experience or have done a gew online course's you might get a place.
    1. Write down your experience
    2. Contact the universities via phone or email.
    3. If you need to top up your skills you have the open university or an access course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebrahmabull)
    I am aged 22. Did my O' levels in 2008, completed A' levels in 2013 after resits and gap years (a terrible phase of my life). I have no work experience. My question are:
    1.Am I a mature student?
    2.would be compulsory to get in uni through access in my case?
    3.is the option to get in uni through access open for me?
    I'm 38 and just completed an Access Course. The only reason I had to do the course was because I hadn't got any recent science experience and experimenting and writing scientific reports was going to be a large part of the degree I wanted to do. I had more than enough UCAS points from qualifications that are much older than yours as well as working in a related field but just needed the practical science experience. I think it very much depends on the University and type of course that you want to do though. The best thing to do would be check with admissions for the course you want to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was able to get in without doing an Access course because I have several years of work experience relevant to my degree subject and I teach in a related subject on a Foundation Course. I have done online study courses and most of my jobs prior to my current involved me taking exams at least once a year and I have been a teacher/trainer/tutor since I was 23, which they said definitely qualified me for study. My A-levels are 15 years old and although they did expect them to meet the entry criteria, they did not really put much more thought into them. It also makes a difference that my course interviews its applicants and they assess your writing ability too. But I am also being offered courses in Study Skills so I can make sure I'm able to cope with uni demands.

If you're applying without this experience and less than perfect A-Levels/GCSEs it is reasonable to assume you will be required to resit A-levels and/or GCSEs or relevent qualifications, this may include an Access course. But if you're A-levels meet the entry requirement and you have your Maths and English GCSEs which I presume you needed anyway to start A-levels, then you'd probably be fine. Best thing to do is rhtink about what you want to study and where then call a few uni admission teams for advice.

Out of interest, why do you call them O'Levels not GCSEs and why A-Levels not AS1/2s? You must be the only 22yo in the country to have O'Levels!

ReputationRep:
    It's still possible to sit O levels (or it was when I looked into it for my son a few years ago). Some exam boards have them for overseas students and you can sit them as an independent candidate.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't think they still existed, was genuinely curious as I volunteer with sixth formers and have never heard them refer to these older qualifications. Its great if they still, exist, suddenly I don't feel so antiquated!

ReputationRep:
    IIRC, they were still in use in Hong Kong and some other places when I was researching it a few years back.

ReputationRep:
    I believe you are considered a mature student at 21. I'm 26 and didn't need to do an access course to get in this year, I did a BTEC a few years ago and got in with that

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.