Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thought I would share the revision notes I made when revising for a resit of F215 earlier this year.

I ended up getting 135 UMS in this unit, which is 90%/A*.

In 2013 I took the same unit and got an E.

Only thing I did differently was write these notes out from scratch. Well, not completely from scratch, but copying from textbooks and from other notes online and then cutting out the crap.

I got this method of writing notes from Scott Brueckner on YouTube. Watch his videos, they will change your life. I didn't write the notes exactly how he says to because this was my first time trying this style.

I started writing these notes about 2 weeks before my exam. I had already done a little revision before, but it was ineffective. I was just reading 4-6 pages of the textbook a day.

So yeah I was cramming pretty hard with these notes but still managed to get an amazing result.

What I recommend to year 13 students:

• Start early. Get into the habit of doing just 5-10 minutes daily of reading these notes, or your own version of these type of notes, or just a revision book.
    • Watch this video. Watch the whole thing and do nothing but what he advises. If you follow his steps you are pretty much guaranteed an A.
    • Revise hard for mocks. I never did this but it is definitely a good practise. Treat them like the real thing and by the time the real exam comes around you will find it so easy.
    • Do all work using the Pomodoro technique. Which is basically working in 20 minute slots and taking 5 minute breaks in between. After four 20 min sessions, you take 15 minute break. I never stuck to this properly because I could only ever do 1 or 2 sessions before wanting to kill myself. But it definitely helped.
    • Make sure you understand. I never found it hard to understand the work when I finally got around to doing the work. Take your time and read slow. Read again and again till you get it. Read multiple books if you don't understand it in one book (some explain stuff in a ****ty way).
    • Keep reminding yourself to do the above steps. Don't do them for a week and forget. Make it a habit.

When the last week or two before your exam come around, use your time to read over the notes you've made again and again. Do a few past papers. Basically just keep reading and trying to memorize as much as you can. If you've taken the above steps from when you start your year you will get an A. All I did was write the notes and read them, 2 weeks before the exam, so if you start earlier you will an even greater chance of getting a high mark.

I missed a tiny bit of the specification out of these notes, so don't blindly follow them and use nothing else. I think it was Population and Sustainability. I still got a good grade without it in but do make sure you cover everything.

I've attached a Word doc for easy editing and adding the missed stuff in, and check my website for more in detail notes: joedaniels.co.uk

If I can get an A, ****ing anybody can. People say this all the time but with me it is true. All throughout sixth form I constantly failed mocks, never did homework etc. When it came to exams I crammed and scraped by with C's and D's. Sometimes E's like in this unit. Using this style of notes got an E to an A, you'd be foolish not to use the same style.

I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc F215 Outlined Revision Notes.doc (100.0 KB, 6909 views)

This is fantastic thank you so much! Need to turn my b at as into an a* and this post is exactly what I was looking for!
    Thanks a bunch xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much this really helps, I got grade B in my biology and chemistry exam and I would really like an A by the end of the year.

I am a yr 12 student going onto year 13, I would really like to know if you have recommend books that I can purchase additional to the OCR Textbooks. Please and Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iyesha)
    Thank you so much this really helps, I got grade B in my biology and chemistry exam and I would really like an A by the end of the year.

I am a yr 12 student going onto year 13, I would really like to know if you have recommend books that I can purchase additional to the OCR Textbooks. Please and Thank you.
    I did buy this and it is alright. Some parts it is lacking but some parts it is really concise where other books ramble on too much:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-...dp/144417973X/

Apart from that I used the CGP book and the green textbook. But really any will do you don't need them all. And search around online for revision notes like these!

ReputationRep:
    Hey have you got f214 notes? It would be helpful if you could upload them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JosephDaniels)
    Thought I would share the revision notes I made when revising for a resit of F215 earlier this year.

Only thing I did differently was write these notes out from scratch. Well, not completely from scratch, but copying from textbooks and from other notes online and then cutting out the crap.

I got this method of writing notes from Scott Brueckner on YouTube. Watch his videos, they will change your life. I didn't write the notes exactly how he says to because this was my first time trying this style.

I started writing these notes about 2 weeks before my exam. I had already done a little revision before, but it was ineffective. I was just reading 4-6 pages of the textbook a day.

So yeah I was cramming pretty hard with these notes but still managed to get an amazing result.

• Start early. Get into the habit of doing just 5-10 minutes daily of reading these notes, or your own version of these type of notes, or just a revision book.
    • Watch this video. Watch the whole thing and do nothing but what he advises. If you follow his steps you are pretty much guaranteed an A.
    • Revise hard for mocks. I never did this but it is definitely a good practise. Treat them like the real thing and by the time the real exam comes around you will find it so easy.
    • Do all work using the Pomodoro technique. Which is basically working in 20 minute slots and taking 5 minute breaks in between. After four 20 min sessions, you take 15 minute break. I never stuck to this properly because I could only ever do 1 or 2 sessions before wanting to kill myself. But it definitely helped.
    • Make sure you understand. I never found it hard to understand the work when I finally got around to doing the work. Take your time and read slow. Read again and again till you get it. Read multiple books if you don't understand it in one book (some explain stuff in a ****ty way).
    • Keep reminding yourself to do the above steps. Don't do them for a week and forget. Make it a habit.

When the last week or two before your exam come around, use your time to read over the notes you've made again and again. Do a few past papers. Basically just keep reading and trying to memorize as much as you can. If you've taken the above steps from when you start your year you will get an A. All I did was write the notes and read them, 2 weeks before the exam, so if you start earlier you will an even greater chance of getting a high mark.

I missed a tiny bit of the specification out of these notes, so don't blindly follow them and use nothing else. I think it was Population and Sustainability. I still got a good grade without it in but do make sure you cover everything.

I've attached a Word doc for easy editing and adding the missed stuff in.

If I can get an A, ****ing anybody can. People say this all the time but with me it is true. All throughout sixth form I constantly failed mocks, never did homework etc. When it came to exams I crammed and scraped by with C's and D's. Sometimes E's like in this unit. Using this style of notes got an E to an A, you'd be foolish not to use the same style.

Hey congratulations for your grade! I just want to ask if all you had to do was memorise and understand your notes? Or is there anything else to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ifty426)
    Hey have you got f214 notes? It would be helpful if you could upload them
    Unfortunately not. I didn't actually complete them in time for the exam, so afterwards I just deleted them because I thought there wouldn't be any point in sharing them half done. I focused on F215 more and had more time for it so I ended up only completing notes for F215. Shows you how little time I had and yet I still did well!

(Original post by Aleenaa)
    Hey congratulations for your grade! I just want to ask if all you had to do was memorise and understand your notes? Or is there anything else to it?
    All I did was write the notes. This was just straight up copying from the CGP revision book and text book. Then once I finished the notes I kept reading through them again and again, and trying to memorise them. One or two days before I did some past papers.

You are starting so early compared to me and you have far more time to revise, so you should find them easy.

Write out your own set of notes just like I have, on the computer, in the same style. If you just use mine that won't work, and I'd only recommend that if you don't have time to write them yourself. Do half an hour a night or even less writing these notes, and spend 5-10 minutes every now and again skimming it all again. By exam time you will already know everything.

Like I said in the main post, watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjip0wygAI

It is what helped me and where I got the notes style from. He also has other videos and gives a bunch of other great advice for learning for different subjects etc.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not. I didn't actually complete them in time for the exam, so afterwards I just deleted them because I thought there wouldn't be any point in sharing them half done. I focused on F215 more and had more time for it so I ended up only completing notes for F215. Shows you how little time I had and yet I still did well!

All I did was write the notes. This was just straight up copying from the CGP revision book and text book. Then once I finished the notes I kept reading through them again and again, and trying to memorise them. One or two days before I did some past papers.

You are starting so early compared to me and you have far more time to revise, so you should find them easy.

Write out your own set of notes just like I have, on the computer, in the same style. If you just use mine that won't work, and I'd only recommend that if you don't have time to write them yourself. Do half an hour a night or even less writing these notes, and spend 5-10 minutes every now and again skimming it all again. By exam time you will already know everything.

Like I said in the main post, watch this video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLjip0wygAI

It is what helped me and where I got the notes style from. He also has other videos and gives a bunch of other great advice for learning for different subjects etc.
    Hey thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:

I've attached a Word doc for easy editing and adding the missed stuff in.

Hi, thanks for your tips and I watched the video and it was quite helpful ,I was just wondering you had another link to your notes bc I cant open the doc you sent for some reason.

Thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.