Should all drugs be legalised?

Watch
MattyR2895
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I used to think it was crazy, but now I can't think of a good reason why all drugs, not just cannabis, should be legalised. It would stop the war on drugs, save countless lives in certain parts of South America where drug cartels rule (if every country did it), save police resources, gun crime in America would plummet(this is the answer, not banning guns), generate more money for the economy and give people the right to choose what they want to do with their own body.
Now obviously drugs can be dangerous, but if someone wants to put potentially dangerous substances in to their own body without first doing their research (eg. how to use them properly, if at all, the side effects, the financial aspect, the fact that they may have to continue taking drugs for the rest of their lives) and they get hurt or even die, this can only benefit society as a whole. One less idiot passing on their genes to the next generation.

What do you think?
Zorgotron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Legalizing drugs would be a tremendous danger to public health and overall productivity of the nation. This will lead to an increase in drug use, it will normalize and diminish the taboo of drug use - especially in new generations, who will grow up in a framework, where drugs have always been legal and thus normal.

Legalizing all drugs is also problematic in the sense that not all drugs are opiates - drugs, such as crack, crystal, cocaine in general and amphetamine are stimulants, that do not relax the user, but instead make him more aware, aggressive and paranoid. Stimulants are also highly addictive and I have personal accounts how such drugs can completely destroy families and relationships. It's just not the sort of thing you want to encourage by legalizing it. After all, by legalizing it the state is sending an implicit message that ''doing drugs is okay'', or at the very least tolerable.
forborall
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, all drugs should be legal.
JohnPaul_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What a ridiculous proposal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bubadeeboop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
personal responsability, if people want to **** up their lives on hard drugs that's their problem, but if they commit a crime to fund their habit they should get the book thrown at them.

People in the west are far to protected from the real world.
MattyR2895
Rep:
?
(Original post by JohnPaul_)
What a ridiculous proposal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, lets not explain anything, just discount other opinions and call them ridiculous.
College_Dropout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes.
DErasmus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by bubadeeboop)
personal responsability, if people want to **** up their lives on hard drugs that's their problem, but if they commit a crime to fund their habit they should get the book thrown at them.

People in the west are far to protected from the real world.
The Bible? Legalising drugs is an awful idea, even the Nordic countries think so and these are some of the most liberal in the world. The Netherlands is just crazy.
MattyR2895
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zorgotron)
Legalizing drugs would be a tremendous danger to public health and overall productivity of the nation. This will lead to an increase in drug use, it will normalize and diminish the taboo of drug use - especially in new generations, who will grow up in a framework, where drugs have always been legal and thus normal.

Legalizing all drugs is also problematic in the sense that not all drugs are opiates - drugs, such as crack, crystal, cocaine in general and amphetamine are stimulants, that do not relax the user, but instead make him more aware, aggressive and paranoid. Stimulants are also highly addictive and I have personal accounts how such drugs can completely destroy families and relationships. It's just not the sort of thing you want to encourage by legalizing it. After all, by legalizing it the state is sending an implicit message that ''doing drugs is okay'', or at the very least tolerable.
What's wrong with increased drug use? Although I have never, and probably will never use currently illegal drugs, I think people should have the choice to use them. Many illegal drugs CAN be used safely, provided the user knows how to use them properly. I'll all for educating people on the dangers of drugs, but the benefits of legalising drugs far outweighs the negatives. Many of the reasons why drugs are so destructive is because they are illegal, such as getting involved with the wrong people. Legalising them will allow the government to regulate the sale of drugs, and fund programmes to help with addiction.
also, what about all the poor residents of parts of Columbia and Mexico who have to suffer living in towns owned by drug cartels, whose police force is under trained and under equipped to deal with them?
bubadeeboop
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DErasmus)
The Bible? Legalising drugs is an awful idea, even the Nordic countries think so and these are some of the most liberal in the world. The Netherlands is just crazy.
Only the Bible if it is written entirely in size 50 font, otherwise it will not hurt enough to teach them a lesson.

I actually felt far safer in the Netherlands than I do in the UK. Buying weed off a dealer (still illegal in the Netherlands) was fun, our guy used to visit our place, make the deal, then share his own stash with us and even go in on ordering pizzas.

Personal responsability, if you can't handle your **** face the consequences.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Zorgotron)

Actually most experiments with drug legalisation, such as Amsterdam and Portugal, have shown reduced drug use amongst the population. Whether this is because it's no longer seen as taboo, because there is much better education towards drug use or because seeking treatment for addiction is seen as more acceptable and is more widely available, I'm not sure.

It's not really saying doing drugs is ok, equally tobacco, alcohol or even eating too much or exercising too little aren't ok, but they're still legal, so legality has nothing to do with saying it's ok.
DErasmus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Helloworld_95)
Actually most experiments with drug legalisation, such as Amsterdam and Portugal, have shown reduced drug use amongst the population. Whether this is because it's no longer seen as taboo, because there is much better education towards drug use or because seeking treatment for addiction is seen as more acceptable and is more widely available, I'm not sure.

It's not really saying doing drugs is ok, equally tobacco, alcohol or even eating too much or exercising too little aren't ok, but they're still legal, so legality has nothing to do with saying it's ok.
ffs the nonsense of 'because alcohol is legal drugs should be too!'
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Decriminalise use of all drugs, and possibly legalise Cannabis. Reinvest the money saved from going after the users to take down the dealers and importers of drugs such as cocaine and heroin. All money taken from the assets of drug dealers, and brought in through legal sale of Cannabis should be given to the NHS and ring fenced for spending on drug rehabilitation programmes.
Helloworld_95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DErasmus)
ffs the nonsense of 'because alcohol is legal drugs should be too!'
What are you on about? If anything I was saying how that's not an accurate representation.

I'll admit that it's a good argument for some drugs with limited or comparable safety issues like cannabis but to say it should apply to all drugs is ridiculous.
JohnPaul_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MattyR2895)
Yes, lets not explain anything, just discount other opinions and call them ridiculous.
I have posted in other similar topics at full length as to why I think it is ridiculous. But the onus is on the legalisers to prove why it would be a good thing... no argument has been good enough for me so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Zorgotron
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MattyR2895)
What's wrong with increased drug use? Although I have never, and probably will never use currently illegal drugs, I think people should have the choice to use them. Many illegal drugs CAN be used safely, provided the user knows how to use them properly. I'll all for educating people on the dangers of drugs, but the benefits of legalising drugs far outweighs the negatives. Many of the reasons why drugs are so destructive is because they are illegal, such as getting involved with the wrong people. Legalising them will allow the government to regulate the sale of drugs, and fund programmes to help with addiction.
also, what about all the poor residents of parts of Columbia and Mexico who have to suffer living in towns owned by drug cartels, whose police force is under trained and under equipped to deal with them?
What's wrong with increased use?

• Decrease of public health.
  • Increase of violent behavior, especially when we're talking about stimulants (amphetamine, cocaine, crystal etc).
  • General increase of antisocial behavior.
  • Bigger state expenditures necessary for state health departments to take care of drug related medical conditions.
  • Bigger expenditures needed in the context of law enforcement, to deal with increased antisocial and violent behavior.

That's just to start off. Your assertion that you would never use illegal drugs is sort of moot, if the said drugs are legalized. Are you implying that if the drugs were legalized (they wouldn't be illegal anymore), you would then start doing those drugs?

If you legalize drugs, it stands to reason that people will start using them more and that will lead to many social problems, as I listed above. There is no doubt that right now there are people, who would use drugs if they weren't illegal. We're talking about people who:

• want to use drugs, but don't have the connections to get drugs and don't even know who to turn to.
  • want to use drugs, but are afraid of dealing with shady and potentially violent dealers.
  • want to use drugs, but are afraid that whatever batch they get may be contaminated.
  • want to use drugs, but they're too expensive.
  • want to use drugs, but are afraid of getting caught by law enforcement authorities.
  • want to use drugs, but out of sheer principle do not wish to break the law.

Obviously, these aren't the only reasons, why some people, who in other circumstances would happily try/do drugs, abstain from drug use. Legalizing drugs will remove all of these breaks. Legalizing drugs will make them cheaper, easier and safer to get, more pure and with no threat of legal punishment. These people will simply try drugs, some of them will become frequent users and some of them will become addicts. It's deluded to suggest that legalization will lead to a decrease in usage, when all these factors are considered.

Some people do cite Portugal as a posterboy, but the studies related to Portugal are methodologically flawed and misconstrued - saying that drug use between people aged 15-19 has decreased after legalization while failing to mention that drug use (primarily weed) in the ages of 19 and above has increased, is intellectually and methodologically dishonest.

Can drugs be taken in moderation? Opiates probably, yes, but it is highly unlikely that people will exercise any sort of self-restraint in this regard - you just need to look at our binge drinking culture, where nobody in any way tries to discipline their alcohol use. Stimulates are a different story - crack, cocaine and amphetamine are drugs that increase your awareness, thought processes, paranoia, aggression and fear, when the kick starts burning out. There is no way to take stimulates in moderation or safely - safe in regards to yourself and the people around, as a crackhead is very likely to interpret even the mildest social interactions as a provocation and respond with violence or a fit of rage. Stimulates do not dull your senses, they do not have an anesthetic, relaxing effect that opiates (such as weed) do.

It's very unlikely that after legalization, everybody will just hold hands and sing about peace and love while being high - especially those who are prepped up by crack, crystal, cocaine and amphetamine.
Greg Jackson
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes they should
nimrodstower
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Drug use leads to this kind of thing.

Dave saves
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There is no war on drugs. Prosecutions for possession of an illegal substance are incredibly low in this country, drug use is so high because there is no effective deterrent for first time use.

We don't want a society already riddled by the obsession of drinking to also become addled with a further addiction. The minuscule amount of money saved from this so called "war on drugs" would be dwarfed by the additional cost placed on the NHS. The legality of alcohol should not be the precedent for legalisation of more harmful substances.
n00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have posted in other similar topics at full length as to why I think it is ridiculous.
I don't think telling us to go read a book by an alcoholic with a penchant for scaremongering over issues like MMR, someone with clearly no scientfic understanding of drugs that seems to base their position on religious dogma rather than the realities the effects drug policies have had around the world is answering at full length.

But the onus is on the legalisers to prove why it would be a good thing... no argument has been good enough for me so far.
I don't see why. Where drug laws have been liberalised we haven't seen any significant increase in use, often there is a slight decrease but what we do see is a reduction in crime, a decrease in related health issues such as overdoses, HIV infections, improved mortalily rates, users more readily seeking treatment. The onus should be on the puritans to show that the growing evidence that liberalised drug laws work is all somehow wrong. That taking the very drastic approach of removing our bodily autonomy is justified. Public opinion is fast moving against our current approach with a majority now wanting to see laws based on the evidence coming from countries like Portugal, clearly you are losing the argument.

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpu...gs-policy.aspx

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2011/06/16/...cies-dont-work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (110)
35.71%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (42)
13.64%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (19)
6.17%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (32)
10.39%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (37)
12.01%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (36)
11.69%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
10.39%

Watched Threads