Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

So I'm really excited to start Uni in September. I am a bit worried though as due to health problems and medication I am currently taking to keep my symptoms under control I can't drink any alcohol. I'm not so bothered about this as it doesn't really agree with me and makes me fell unwell so I would rather not drink it anyway, I'm worried what others might think and how this will affect my opportunities to make new friends. Obviously I'm not really going to want to go out if everyone else is drinking and I'm living at home so won't meet people in halls either. I was just wondering if anyone else has been or is in a similar situation and how you overcame this problem? Any suggestions would be much appreciated thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    During freshers week, most universities put on alcohol-free events as an alternative. Also there will be plenty to do during the day where you can still meet people. Check out what events are being put on (you can normally find it on the website). Don't worry, there will be loads of other people that can't/don't want to drink

Exactly in the same boat here but I'll be at UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erin.23)
    Hey,
    During freshers week, most universities put on alcohol-free events as an alternative. Also there will be plenty to do during the day where you can still meet people. Check out what events are being put on (you can normally find it on the website). Don't worry, there will be loads of other people that can't/don't want to drink
    Thanks! I will definitely have a look to see what's on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stickman)
    Exactly in the same boat here but I'll be at UCL.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Glad to know I'm not the only one in this situation

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink due to personal choices but I'm still going to participate in the student nights as they'll sell soft drinks etc! The reason I want to do this is that I'm not living in halls so I've got the fear that I won't make friends properly :/

ReputationRep:
    If you are happy to still go clubbing or to the socials then you don't have to drink, no one will judge you! You might find the drunk people annoying though lol, but as long as you aren't preachy about not drinking no one will bat an eyelid. You might get the odd omg how weird comment to start with but don't exclude yourself just because you don't drink.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.