Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I did bad in AS levels. Help please? Watch

• View Poll Results: What should i do?
    Resit the year?
    55.56%
    Resit my 3/4 exams in A2
    44.44%

ReputationRep:
    I got CDE in maths geog and psychology for AS and I'm shocked and sad and have no idea what to do. I loved geog. It was my life and I found out I was 1 mark off an c overall. I'm gonna remark that and resit that since I got an A in unit 2. Also I want to resit the whole psychology. Maybe C2 in maths so I would have 3/4 exams to work on Aswell as the 7 for A2. Please any advise. No university will offer me what so ever. I am thinking for resitting the year but I am apprehensive of that. I know all the stuff but it's my exam technique. My literary skills let me down. Also it is weird that in practice essay questions I get A/Bs In geog. I don't understand. I really don't. I might take a gap year after A2 to maybe apply for better unis. I was hoping for ABB. Not CC/DE!! I'm so sad. What do u guys think? Resit the 3 exams (C2 maths won't take as much effort as the essay exams) please. Will resitting my AS levels affect an application to Birmingham for geology and geography degree? i am also curently doing an EPQ so hopefully that will help me get offers this year (if i continue at A2) then if my hard work actually pays off then maybe adjustment? help
    NB: i was 1/2 marks off a C in C2 but i still will resit and remark it. Alo with psychology unit 2 i was one mark off a D, i know it isn't good but looks better than an e. Also i was wondering if i can remark at AS? and the cost of resitting 3 AQA exams and 1 OCR? also remarking 2 AQA and 1 OCR? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YuS97)
    I got CDE in maths geog and psychology for AS and I'm shocked and sad and have no idea what to do. I loved geog. It was my life and I found out I was 1 mark off an c overall. I'm gonna remark that and resit that since I got an A in unit 2. Also I want to resit the whole psychology. Maybe C2 in maths so I would have 3/4 exams to work on Aswell as the 7 for A2. Please any advise. No university will offer me what so ever. I am thinking for resitting the year but I am apprehensive of that. I know all the stuff but it's my exam technique. My literary skills let me down. Also it is weird that in practice essay questions I get A/Bs In geog. I don't understand. I really don't. I might take a gap year after A2 to maybe apply for better unis. I was hoping for ABB. Not CC/DE!! I'm so sad. What do u guys think? Resit the 3 exams (C2 maths won't take as much effort as the essay exams) please. Will resitting my AS levels affect an application to Birmingham for geology and geography degree? i am also curently doing an EPQ so hopefully that will help me get offers this year (if i continue at A2) then if my hard work actually pays off then maybe adjustment? help
    NB: i was 1/2 marks off a C in C2 but i still will resit and remark it. Alo with psychology unit 2 i was one mark off a D, i know it isn't good but looks better than an e. Also i was wondering if i can remark at AS? and the cost of resitting 3 AQA exams and 1 OCR? also remarking 2 AQA and 1 OCR? Thanks
    U r worth a lot more than the gradeds u got on a piece of paper.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, I'm sorry to hear about your grades - it seems like a lot of people did quite badly this year.
    I do geography, philosophy, maths and biology and got ABBE this year and I'm feeling you pain.
    I reckon continue with A2 but resit your AS exams in the process? It may be worth talking to your tutor or someone specifically about exam technique if that's what you find is letting you down, if you get A/B in mock tests then it may be nerves under the pressure of exams that effects your grades? It doesn't sound like it's worth redoing a year if you already know the majority of a content.
    It's probably a good idea to try and decide what you want to do after A2 too as it might help you focus more
    Being so close to grade boundaries sounds like it's definitley worth getting them remarked btw as CDE could go up to BCD which is already much better

Just a thought, I really have no idea

ReputationRep:
    iv had a look around and if i could get my teachers to predict me BBC could i apply to Aberystwyth (260 points) or Plymouth (280) Possibly Swansea which i really want to go to but (BBB). All i want are offers, i know i can get the grades needed. Also anyone know about Southampton: foundation year Geology (BCC) or Liverpool foundation year Earth Science (DCC). I can guarantee i WILL get at least a B after resitting unit 1 geog. I was only 9 raw marks away from an overall B in geog so i WILL get it!! i'm determined

Note: I am also doing an EPQ if that helps at all?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YuS97)
    You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it.

ReputationRep:
    Although your results seem bad, you have actually passed all of your AS-Levels which is better than some. Seems like you were close to the next grade in some of your modules, so it may be worth it to get a couple of them remarked or to resit the exams. I wouldn't resit the whole year though unless you feel like you really have to to get the grades that you want.

About the EPQ...If you're thinking of applying to the top universities then I think its great that you're doing it. Some unis really value the EPQ especially if its linked to what you want to do in uni. Also, if you've narrowly missed your uni offer some unis will still consider you if you get a good grade in your EPQ

All is not lost. If you want ABB then hopefully this experience will make you more determined to work harder to get those grades-anything is possible. Stay positive!

ReputationRep:
    Take the pressure off and restart. Loads of people spend three years doing A levels, it really isn't a problem and you stand a good chance of getting great grades. If you resit the AS and take A2s at the same time is it loads of pressure and very hard to do really well.

ReputationRep:
    See if the unis are okay with retakes. If they are, you can retake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amethystx5)
    Although your results seem bad, you have actually passed all of your AS-Levels which is better than some. Seems like you were close to the next grade in some of your modules, so it may be worth it to get a couple of them remarked or to resit the exams. I wouldn't resit the whole year though unless you feel like you really have to to get the grades that you want.

About the EPQ...If you're thinking of applying to the top universities then I think its great that you're doing it. Some unis really value the EPQ especially if its linked to what you want to do in uni. Also, if you've narrowly missed your uni offer some unis will still consider you if you get a good grade in your EPQ

All is not lost. If you want ABB then hopefully this experience will make you more determined to work harder to get those grades-anything is possible. Stay positive!
    I have realistically thought about my chances and i have thought about getting/Hoping to get BBB/BBC now so i could get into a uni which iv named above.

ReputationRep:
    And more advise? Please?

ReputationRep:
    Not that far from my situation last year on the first unit I had a low gradet the second I had a hight grade. And you know how these things are, they go more down depending on the lowest grade. I made this up this year by getting both hight grades on my 3rd and 4th units. So dont worry, atlongs you try hard for the next two units you will have a great grade I swear ^^
    I dont like the marking system much :/ made me sad to find one of my class grades wehnt down on what I was going to get, I was on a B grade they told me and when I whent to get my results I was like 2? points off a B But I still got into Uni so I am alright

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.