Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I'm going to be a student at the uni of Glasgow next year, but I'm having a hard time finding clues about the cost of life there. I come from France, and we often say that life is more expensive in the UK. As far as I can tell, accommodation is really, really more expensive (I pay £360 a month for a twin room in Cairncross, but I could have an ensuite for £180 in France. I am not exactly complaining since coming to the UK is a great opportunity but... well, the accommodation fees are really killing my budget).
    After the accommodation goes out, I'll have £80 left a month from my French scholarship, to which my mum will be add £40 (hopefully, but I prefer not to count on it, to be prepared for the worst case scenario...).
    As you can see I am left with £20 to £30 per week.
    I have to add that I'll start in september with some saved money for the first month expenses like books, bedding, kitchen stuff etc.

I think it's more or less manageable but I'd like to hear from people who have already lived in Glasgow, whether I can eat and do my laundry with only this.

Thanks for your help !

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm from France too I will be studying Physics and I completely agree with you: life at the University of Glasgow is gonna be pretty expensive! And it's quite hard to find precise information!
    Any answer would be very helpful

Au fait comment t'as fait pour obtenir une bourse française??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Nice to see another French student here !
    I wouldn't be able to study there without the scolarship, honestly.
    Si tu es boursière tu peux demander une bourse sur critères sociaux CROUS comme si tu étudiais en France, ça fonctionne. Par contre il me semble qu'il est trop tard pour faire ton dossier maintenant...

ReputationRep:
    The student accommodation is pretty expensive, it's generally cheaper to rent a flat. But of course that's very difficult to do if you are currently in France. It's a pretty unfortunate situation. I've been working full time for the past year or so saving up to help me over my first year at uni. I imagine if you don't have the funds then getting a part time job while studying is sort of a necessity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I tried to look for flats a few months ago but really, I don't know anything about the city, I can't visit, everything is already complicated so I just chose the easy path and went for halls in first year x) In second year I should be able to have more money as I intend to rent a flat.
    Working would have helped me but I couldn't up until now so I hope to find a part-time job in September. I'm worried that due to my lack of overall experience, I'll have a hard time getting anywhere. Would you happen to have an idea of the difficulty to get a bar ou restaurant job there ? I am thinking of applying to some ads on Gumtree already.
    Thanks for your answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizieA)
    I tried to look for flats a few months ago but really, I don't know anything about the city, I can't visit, everything is already complicated so I just chose the easy path and went for halls in first year x) In second year I should be able to have more money as I intend to rent a flat.
    Working would have helped me but I couldn't up until now so I hope to find a part-time job in September. I'm worried that due to my lack of overall experience, I'll have a hard time getting anywhere. Would you happen to have an idea of the difficulty to get a bar ou restaurant job there ? I am thinking of applying to some ads on Gumtree already.
    Thanks for your answer
    Hey,

it's a difficult situation for you, as yes it would be cheaper sharing a flat, but that's difficult to arrange from France, especially if you don't know the city. Believe it or not, just outside of Glasgow, like 15 mins from the uni you could rent a flat for less than you are paying for a room. You should be able to find work of some description, bars, restaurants, supermarkets etc....I have a part time job in asda, and they are constantly looking for folk.

If you have any burning questions just message me and I'll see if I can help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizieA)
    Hello,
    I'm going to be a student at the uni of Glasgow next year, but I'm having a hard time finding clues about the cost of life there. I come from France, and we often say that life is more expensive in the UK. As far as I can tell, accommodation is really, really more expensive (I pay £360 a month for a twin room in Cairncross, but I could have an ensuite for £180 in France. I am not exactly complaining since coming to the UK is a great opportunity but... well, the accommodation fees are really killing my budget).
    After the accommodation goes out, I'll have £80 left a month from my French scholarship, to which my mum will be add £40 (hopefully, but I prefer not to count on it, to be prepared for the worst case scenario...).
    As you can see I am left with £20 to £30 per week.
    I have to add that I'll start in september with some saved money for the first month expenses like books, bedding, kitchen stuff etc.

I think it's more or less manageable but I'd like to hear from people who have already lived in Glasgow, whether I can eat and do my laundry with only this.

Thanks for your help !

I wouldn't panic about it, £20 should be enough food for a week if you shop cheaply (lidl and aldi), you won't need to buy all the books on the list and can just buy them as you need them, bedding is provided by Cairncross and there's laundry onsite. For your kitchen stuff try the click2campus Glasgow pack, it's seems quite reasonable and will save you a lot of hassle I'd imagine. As for work, there seems to be quite a few jobs available and I'll be looking for one to and I don't have any previous official work experience either. So there'll be plenty of other people in the same boat so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    If you're an undergraduate there's really no need to buy any books. There will be a couple of important set texts, but these are almost always available for short loan in the library. Obviously it's nicer and more convenient to have your own copies, but this is more a luxury than a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    The click2campus packs always seemed a bit excessive to me, even the 'essential' pack has stuff in you'll probably never use, and they're not exactly cheap. You could pick up a few rudimentary utensils in a place like Argos for much cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by European Son)
    The click2campus packs always seemed a bit excessive to me, even the 'essential' pack has stuff in you'll probably never use, and they're not exactly cheap. You could pick up a few rudimentary utensils in a place like Argos for much cheaper.
    I can see a need for pretty much everything on the list although I suppose it depends on how adventurous and how much cooking you do.

Although maybe not the cheapest way it does allow you to sort them out and pay for them before arriving which is quite convenient for me as it'll be a few days before I get my cards sorted and walking around Glasgow with assorted pots and pans isn't my idea of a good time really anyway

Also LizieA, if you're under 18 when you arrive you might have an issue buying kitchen knives from shops, as I think they're quite strict about that sort of thing in the UK. So you know, might be best to sort that online or find someone in Glasgow who can do it for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waffelmeister)
    I can see a need for pretty much everything on the list although I suppose it depends on how adventurous and how much cooking you do.

Although maybe not the cheapest way it does allow you to sort them out and pay for them before arriving which is quite convenient for me as it'll be a few days before I get my cards sorted and walking around Glasgow with assorted pots and pans isn't my idea of a good time really anyway

Also LizieA, if you're under 18 when you arrive you might have an issue buying kitchen knives from shops, as I think they're quite strict about that sort of thing in the UK. So you know, might be best to sort that online or find someone in Glasgow who can do it for you.
    Yeah, i suppose there are clear benefits to the service, especially if you're coming from abroad.

Keep in mind that everyone turns up at halls with a variety of cutlery and utensils, so you can always borrow from others if you want to take the time to do things on the cheap. There's usually a spirit of good will amongst housemates (at least in the early days of living together)

Budgeting really is the key here, i think £20 is a fine amount for food. The OP will just need to be very sensible during this academic year. If you can avoid drinking alcohol in bars and eating at restaurants money goes a long way!

ReputationRep:
    Ah dommage, je suis pas boursière donc j'aurais pas pu l'obtenir mai ça m'aurait aidé vu comme les études sont cher à Glasgow!!
    Anyways, don't worry too much about life there, there are several jobs available for students who need money at the university (library...) sans compter les cafés, supermarches...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your answers ! You raised a lot of issues I have thought of and I'm a lot more reassured seeing that you don't find my situation hopeless (far from it).
    Apparently finding a job you should be manageable too, it would be such a relief !
    I'm not much of a drinker (European Son), so this shouldn't be an issue.

I was trying to determine whether to go with the click2campus packs or not... It would be really convenient but I also read that I could get the same for less money if I bothered to go shopping once there. I still have some time to decide.
    I am 18, so buying cutlery should be fine, but thanks for the warning !

Well, you helped me out a lot and I'm less worried about september. As long as it's doable I'll make it.

ReputationRep:
    No worries, I wasn't sure as there are a couple of other french girls who won't be 18 when they move and I thought it's better to be safe than sorry.

ReputationRep:
    All these lovely French girls coming to Glasgow uni.

Happy days

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.