The Student Room Group

Go to uni or Retake?

Unfortunately, I failed to obtain the grades I needed for my Firm and Insurance universities (University of Nottingham and University of Leicester) due to personal circumstances that I can't even hold blame to. Through clearing I got a place at Nottingham Trent University to study Biochemistry. I achieved BCC when I was predicted AAB. However I am not happy with my results and I know that I am capable of achieving better. I don't know whether I should go to University this year, take a gap year and resit, or go to university while resitting some modules.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?
Will my a level results hinder my future job prospects even if i were to graduate with a 1st or 2:1?
Some graduate 'scheme' recruiters use A level grades just to filter applications and make the number of applications more manageable. BUT most grads don't get jobs through these 'schemes' anyway, so there is really not much to worry about here.

If you are happy with NTU, go with full heart and enjoy your time at Uni. A First in Biochem will open many, many doors. Enjoy.
I'm in exactly the same boat. I wanted the university of Nottingham and needed AAB but instead received BBC, again due to personal circumstances. My insurance is Trent to also study biochemistry (what a coincidence!) but like you I am truly disappointed! I am torn between going to Trent, even thought not sure I'll be happy there or sacrificing another year at Sixth form again to come out with a university I know I'll love spending the next four years at! It's a really tough decision!
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
Some graduate 'scheme' recruiters use A level grades just to filter applications and make the number of applications more manageable. BUT most grads don't get jobs through these 'schemes' anyway, so there is really not much to worry about here.

If you are happy with NTU, go with full heart and enjoy your time at Uni. A First in Biochem will open many, many doors. Enjoy.

I'm neutral with NTU I guess. I know its not a great uni but I'm just not happy with my grades... I really don't know if its best for me to just retake
Original post by Chrissy.x
Unfortunately, I failed to obtain the grades I needed for my Firm and Insurance universities (University of Nottingham and University of Leicester) due to personal circumstances that I can't even hold blame to. Through clearing I got a place at Nottingham Trent University to study Biochemistry. I achieved BCC when I was predicted AAB. However I am not happy with my results and I know that I am capable of achieving better. I don't know whether I should go to University this year, take a gap year and resit, or go to university while resitting some modules.

Has anyone else been in a similar position?
Will my a level results hinder my future job prospects even if i were to graduate with a 1st or 2:1?

If I were you I would resit - you will get a better quality of lecturing at another university. ( Not that I have anything against NTU - my son went there)

I can see from the tone of your message that you are annoyed with yourself. 1 year is not going to make any difference and you will be better prepared with better grades.

But don't be too hard on yourself - the TSR is full of students who have not done as well as they wanted.
Reply 5
Original post by joshjamesmoule
I'm in exactly the same boat. I wanted the university of Nottingham and needed AAB but instead received BBC, again due to personal circumstances. My insurance is Trent to also study biochemistry (what a coincidence!) but like you I am truly disappointed! I am torn between going to Trent, even thought not sure I'll be happy there or sacrificing another year at Sixth form again to come out with a university I know I'll love spending the next four years at! It's a really tough decision!

Wow that is a coincidence lol! But yeah I'm so stuck. I truly don't have a clue what to do
Reply 6
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If I were you I would resit - you will get a better quality of lecturing at another university. ( Not that I have anything against NTU - my son went there)

I can see from the tone of your message that you are annoyed with yourself. 1 year is not going to make any difference and you will be better prepared with better grades.

But don't be too hard on yourself - the TSR is full of students who have not done as well as they wanted.

/
Thanks for responding it's really appreciated :smile: so its better for me to retake and take a gap year and not go to uni this year?
If it really isn't what you want - don't go. Yes, it might all be 'okay' and never matter, but if you think you'll always have the thought 'What if I'd gone there instead?' then you are likely to feel a bit of resentment about being at NTU - not a great way to start Uni.

Take another year, do retakes and reapply.
Original post by Chrissy.x
/
Thanks for responding it's really appreciated :smile: so its better for me to retake and take a gap year and not go to uni this year?

This is just my opinion - I wouldn't want you to make a rash decision.

However if you feel that you could have done better then retake. Having seen 3 children through uni these are my thoughts

1. If you go to a lower ranking uni and do an arts degree it is harder to get a decent job. Your earning potential will be lower than someone who gets a science degree.

2. A good science degree from virtually any uni will get you a good job and if you are ambitious you can do anything

3. Do you feel that you can better your grades - did you work hard enough.

4. On a scale of 0-10 how much do you want to go to NTU

5. My daughter is doing maths at a top university; my son's girlfriend has just graduated from a lower ranking but equally prestigious uni. The content at my daughters uni is much harder - yet they will still come out with the same degree - on paper. what I am saying is that if you get a good degree from NTU - it will not matter where it is from it will still be a science degree. I used to think status was important, but that is less so these days.

I think it just comes down to whether you can stomach resitting
Reply 9
Original post by squeakysquirrel
This is just my opinion - I wouldn't want you to make a rash decision.

However if you feel that you could have done better then retake. Having seen 3 children through uni these are my thoughts

1. If you go to a lower ranking uni and do an arts degree it is harder to get a decent job. Your earning potential will be lower than someone who gets a science degree.

2. A good science degree from virtually any uni will get you a good job and if you are ambitious you can do anything

3. Do you feel that you can better your grades - did you work hard enough.

4. On a scale of 0-10 how much do you want to go to NTU

5. My daughter is doing maths at a top university; my son's girlfriend has just graduated from a lower ranking but equally prestigious uni. The content at my daughters uni is much harder - yet they will still come out with the same degree - on paper. what I am saying is that if you get a good degree from NTU - it will not matter where it is from it will still be a science degree. I used to think status was important, but that is less so these days.

I think it just comes down to whether you can stomach resitting

thanks a lot. For now I think I'm going to focus on my degree and go to NTU and possibly retake some a level modules but I won't take a year out

Quick Reply

Latest