Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know crying doesn't solve anything and right now there are so many decisions to make and I'm so lost.

At AS I received BBCC in Biology, Economics, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I was so upset however still applied for economics and received offers from Birmingham, York, Exeter & Nottingham. I firmed Exeter and Insured York. Applied for resits and worked harder during my A2 year.

My resits went up to ABB (Economics, Maths and Biology respecitvely) however at A2 I got BBC (My C was 3 ums off a B in maths) I'm so upset and so lost right now and have no idea what to do. I was in clearing, however I think I'm going to attend an independent sixth form college in order to get the grades that I know I'm capable of getting.

However, how will this affect my application for economics? Can someone just waffle at me please

I know it's probably too late to do an internship in my gap year? Can someone confirm this for me?

Can someone also recommend which modules I resit in order to ensure I get much much better grades.

Biology:
    BIOL 4 - 70/100
    BIOL 5 - 98/140
    TOTAL - 442/600

Economics:
    ECON 3 - 46/100 (Remark)
    ECON 4 - 83/100
    TOTAL - 296/400

Mathematics:
    C3 - 74/100
    C4 - 77/100
    M1 - 48/100 (Remark)
    TOTAL - 417/600

Please be kind, I'm already pretty emotional about everything.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    :confused:This probably doesn't help, but i'm on a similar boat...i was predicted A*AA and i managed to get CCD I'm in so much stress and anxiety and don't know what to do, i'm 8 ums off a B in maths and 8 UMS off a C in chem, i don't know what to resit either I got ABCCCC at AS

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress clearing has loads of economics courses. Bradford university, de Montfort, leeds met , Salford , Southampton Solent all do economics and are in clearing.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel any better, I applied to York and failed to get the grades. Got CCD instead of my predicted AAB.

Through clearing I got offers from Bangor,Plymouth,Greenwich Business School and UCLan. Choose Plymouth in the end. I know it is no York but Plymouth isn't a bad uni.

Also if you applied to Swansea through clearing they might give you a place. I missed out because the asked for a minimum of CCC.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Are predicted grades really that unreliable now? Everyone seems to be getting way lower than the predicted grades... Are your teachers too generous?

ReputationRep:
    OK - this is what I would do. Talk to both York and Exeter - tell them you really want to go there. Ask them how they view resits? Do they accept - do they ask for higher grades etc. May be drive down there with your parents - it will show commitment.

If both say they don't mind resits (likely), retake. Work damn hard and you will sail through.

As to which units to retake - obviously the worse performers. but if you can manage it retake at least two modules in each subject incase you have a bad exam. Its a trade off between extra work and insurance - but you have a whole year. If you are only a few UMS away then take just one.

I suggest don't just go to any old university if you have a strong preference for some.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajb)
    OK - this is what I would do. Talk to both York and Exeter - tell them you really want to go there. Ask them how they view resits? Do they accept - do they ask for higher grades etc. May be drive down there with your parents - it will show commitment.

If both say they don't mind resits (likely), retake. Work damn hard and you will sail through.

As to which units to retake - obviously the worse performers. but if you can manage it retake at least two modules in each subject incase you have a bad exam. Its a trade off between extra work and insurance - but you have a whole year.

I suggest don't just go to any old university if you have a strong preference for some.

Good luck.
    Thank you, this is the reassurance I think I've needed to hear.

I know it sounds incredibly unrealistic and cocky but I seriously know that I'm capable of way better than I achieved hence I'll now be attending a special independent sixth form college notorious for things like this.

Thank you so so much.

Yeah, that's what my parents say. I've always dreamt of doing Economics at a top Russell group uni and I'm so upset that this is all happening.

I'm just worried now that I'm applying with poor A2 grades, despite the predicted grades I feel universities won't think I'm capable and hence won't give me an offer the second time around - but I really do hope they do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahmad94)
    If it makes you feel any better, I applied to York and failed to get the grades. Got CCD instead of my predicted AAB.

Through clearing I got offers from Bangor,Plymouth,Greenwich Business School and UCLan. Choose Plymouth in the end. I know it is no York but Plymouth isn't a bad uni.

Also if you applied to Swansea through clearing they might give you a place. I missed out because the asked for a minimum of CCC.

Hope that helps.

(Original post by Hannahmay01)
    Don't stress clearing has loads of economics courses. Bradford university, de Montfort, leeds met , Salford , Southampton Solent all do economics and are in clearing.

Thanks for the replies, but I've always had my heart on completing an economics degree at a Russell Group university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solitarysniper)
    :confused:This probably doesn't help, but i'm on a similar boat...i was predicted A*AA and i managed to get CCD I'm in so much stress and anxiety and don't know what to do, i'm 8 ums off a B in maths and 8 UMS off a C in chem, i don't know what to resit either I got ABCCCC at AS
    What have you decided to do?

What course did you hope to study at uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat here. I managed to get into my insurance of Royal Holloway but I've realised that it's no longer for me. I'm contemplating taking a gap year to boost up my A Levels as a couple of A2 exams really anchored by AS grades of AAB to BCC. Does anybody have any insight whether universities such as Cardiff and Southampton look negatively on A2 retakes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliesmith18)
    I know crying doesn't solve anything and right now there are so many decisions to make and I'm so lost.

At AS I received BBCC in Biology, Economics, Chemistry and Maths respectively. I was so upset however still applied for economics and received offers from Birmingham, York, Exeter & Nottingham. I firmed Exeter and Insured York. Applied for resits and worked harder during my A2 year.

My resits went up to ABB (Economics, Maths and Biology respecitvely) however at A2 I got BBC (My C was 3 ums off a B in maths) I'm so upset and so lost right now and have no idea what to do. I was in clearing, however I think I'm going to attend an independent sixth form college in order to get the grades that I know I'm capable of getting.

However, how will this affect my application for economics? Can someone just waffle at me please

I know it's probably too late to do an internship in my gap year? Can someone confirm this for me?

Can someone also recommend which modules I resit in order to ensure I get much much better grades.

Biology:
    BIOL 4 - 70/100
    BIOL 5 - 98/140
    TOTAL - 442/600

Economics:
    ECON 3 - 46/100 (Remark)
    ECON 4 - 83/100
    TOTAL - 296/400

Mathematics:
    C3 - 74/100
    C4 - 77/100
    M1 - 48/100 (Remark)
    TOTAL - 417/600

Please be kind, I'm already pretty emotional about everything.
    I know for a fact that York's okay with retaking A2s, 'cos I did it after a not-great first set of results and it worked out pretty well for me. I'm studying physics, so I'm not so sure about the economics department's policies and stuff, but I'm not by any means the only person in my situation at York so the general attitude seems to be that it's fine. And once you get here, literally nobody cares

The best thing to do, though, would be to email the admissions people for the departments you're interested in applying to. They won't be able to guarantee anything or tell you about your specific case, but they can reassure you about their general attitude towards retakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    I know for a fact that York's okay with retaking A2s, 'cos I did it after a not-great first set of results and it worked out pretty well for me. I'm studying physics, so I'm not so sure about the economics department's policies and stuff, but I'm not by any means the only person in my situation at York so the general attitude seems to be that it's fine. And once you get here, literally nobody cares

The best thing to do, though, would be to email the admissions people for the departments you're interested in applying to. They won't be able to guarantee anything or tell you about your specific case, but they can reassure you about their general attitude towards retakes.
    Thank you so much, you've reassured me xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.