Report Thread starter 5 years ago
??!
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
xDave-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Help you with what?
Highfiveyou
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by xDave-)
Help you with what?
Does a comma splice only occur while joining two independent clauses?

Like this:

1)I went to the shops, I got myself a new bag.

Can a comma splice still occur in a sentence with three or more clauses, like
this?

2) Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer, considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

3) Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk, avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.

This is how I would use a comma with three clauses in one sentence . Let me know if there is an error of my comma usage.

When I have three or more linked thoughts in a sentence I do get confused while using a comma, and whether I have to put a coordinating conjunction and comma after every though that comes to mind.
xDave-
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Highfiveyou)
1)I went to the shops, I got myself a new bag.

Can a comma splice still occur in a sentence with three or more clauses, like
this?

2) Many businesses will require new and improved equipment, to enable that every task is carried out finer, considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance.

3) Although many people prefer smoking, some people disagree with smoking as it's a huge, life-threatening risk, avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many.
Well, you're not supposed to use comma splices, as far as I know.

Sentence 1 is a comma splice, yes. It would be better to say "and" rather than the comma, or just have two separate sentences. It'd read better if you removed "myself" from the sentence, btw.

Sentence 2 only has one independent clause ("Many businesses will require new and improved equipment") - well there is another one ("every task is carried out finer") but that's not worth mentioning here! You can tell because if you said "to enable that every task is carried out finer" or " considering this will only be an advantage to the businesses' overall performance", you can see that both sentences require more information to be complete. You don't actually need the comma between "equipment" and "to". Also, the English is a bit off at times. You should say "ensure" instead of "enable", perhaps "more precisely" instead of "finer", and "as this will be" instead of "considering this will only be".

Sentence 3 isn't independent clauses again. "some people disagree with smoking" is the independent part and it has a subordinate clause, "as it's a huge, life-threatening risk", attached to it. "Although many people prefer smoking" is another subordinate clause (you know this because it can't be said by itself as it wouldn't make sense alone). All your commas are right in those parts. "avoiding cigarettes may be beneficial for many" should have a full stop before it and be a new clause; what you've done there is a comma splice. "Avoiding" is a gerund in this instance; it functions as a noun. You can replace "avoiding cigarettes" with "it", so you know that is the subject of a new clause.

That help?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Nov '19
  • University of Hull
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties - Undergraduate and Postgraduate Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19

What offers have you received from universities?

Unconditional (33)
18.23%
Unconditional if firmed (14)
7.73%
Unconditional if insurance (1)
0.55%
Both unconditional and unconditional if firm/insurance (3)
1.66%
No unconditional offers (130)
71.82%

Watched Threads