Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Took an extra a-level in Biology and got an E but got As in the rest of my subjects. Should I apply or will they automatically discount me because of my fail in the fifth AS Level. Wanting to do History and Politics or HSPS or PPE...

Feel like I would have had a good chance if I had just taken the 4 a levels but not sure if I've ruined it now.

ReputationRep:
    speak to your college tutors or head of year, they'll know best whether or not you should apply, if you're planning on dropping that subject then it shouldn't be a problem but it's not just grades that Oxbridge look at, they will analyse how much ums you got per exam for each subject (usually they want 90%+) so if you're in the low A's I wouldn't suggest it as it's most likely that you will not be given an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mit0sis)
    speak to your college tutors or head of year, they'll know best whether or not you should apply, if you're planning on dropping that subject then it shouldn't be a problem but it's not just grades that Oxbridge look at, they will analyse how much ums you got per exam for each subject (usually they want 90%+) so if you're in the low A's I wouldn't suggest it as it's most likely that you will not be given an offer.
    Thank you for the advice! My ums over 3 best is 92%. Scraped one of them with a B in one of the modules but got 100% ums in both History modules! Not sure what to do..

ReputationRep:
    I say apply. You still have 4 A grades!!

Also, Cambridge are the only uni that looks at your UMS, though I believe others may be starting to this year as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paralove)
    I say apply. You still have 4 A grades!!

Also, Cambridge are the only uni that looks at your UMS, though I believe others may be starting to this year as well.
    That's good to hear, just don't want my optimism to blur into delusion! Oh really, where did you hear that? Which universities do you think would?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolitaa)
    That's good to hear, just don't want my optimism to blur into delusion! Oh really, where did you hear that? Which universities do you think would?
    I saw it somewhere on this forum a few weeks ago but I have no idea how to find the search button!! It was places like Oxford and Duhram if I remember correctly, but I'm not entirely sure. If you go on the university website it should be there though.

Where are you interested in applying to, outside of Oxford and Cambridge (PS Cambridge is better, totally not biased or anything....)?

ReputationRep:
    I saw it somewhere on this forum a few weeks ago but I have no idea how to find the search button!! It was places like Oxford and Duhram if I remember correctly, but I'm not entirely sure. If you go on the university website it should be there though.

Where are you interested in applying to, outside of Oxford and Cambridge (PS Cambridge is better, totally not biased or anything....)?
    Ohhh I see! Hahah are you at Cambridge now yeah? Not 100% sure, but thinking Exeter, Bath, UCL, LSE

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh I see! Hahah are you at Cambridge now yeah? Not 100% sure, but thinking Exeter, Bath, UCL, LSE
    I start in October!

Exeter is lovely and was one of my choices, and Bath is a great university - I live near so have visited it several times with my school.

ReputationRep:
    I start in October!

Exeter is lovely and was one of my choices, and Bath is a great university - I live near so have visited it several times with my school.
    Congratulations, hope the experience lives up to expectations! Yeah I know I would be happy in either university, just hope they don't look down on my results as I expect they will.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, hope the experience lives up to expectations! Yeah I know I would be happy in either university, just hope they don't look down on my results as I expect they will.
    What are your other 4 subjects?

ReputationRep:
    What are your other 4 subjects?
    Politics, History, English Literature and Maths!

Maths - 90% UMS
    History - 100%
    Politics - 86%
    English Literature - 88%

ReputationRep:

Maths - 90% UMS
    History - 100%
    Politics - 86%
    English Literature - 88%
    Well for your course, biology isn't necessary and having 4 A grades, the U shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you get an interview you may be questioned as to why you got a U in biology though. Bear in mind that Cambridge want high UMS - the average applicant has 90%+ and average offer-holder 95%ish across your best three. But that's average - people get in with less. Oxford will just see you have an A.

Personally, regardless of which one you choose, apply because you never know what will happen - I was convinced on my AS results day I'd never get in to Cambridge after the school messed my French paper up, so I got a B in it, but I did (for MML).

Pivk the course that you will enjoy most though - you will not succeed if you hate it.

ReputationRep:
    Well for your course, biology isn't necessary and having 4 A grades, the U shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you get an interview you may be questioned as to why you got a U in biology though. Bear in mind that Cambridge want high UMS - the average applicant has 90%+ and average offer-holder 95%ish across your best three. But that's average - people get in with less. Oxford will just see you have an A.

Personally, regardless of which one you choose, apply because you never know what will happen - I was convinced on my AS results day I'd never get in to Cambridge after the school messed my French paper up, so I got a B in it, but I did (for MML).

Pivk the course that you will enjoy most though - you will not succeed if you hate it.
    Thank you so much for all this advice! Do you think I should go for Oxford then? I was previously thinking Cambridge as I heard that you have to put all your unit grades on UCAS so I thought Cambridge would at least see how high the B was in one of the modules. But then again my 92% average over 3 isnt very promising..

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for all this advice! Do you think I should go for Oxford then? I was previously thinking Cambridge as I heard that you have to put all your unit grades on UCAS so I thought Cambridge would at least see how high the B was in one of the modules. But then again my 92% average over 3 isnt very promising..
    I think Cambridge would be concerned as to your low scores in Politics and English because of your subject choice of HSPS, particularly without extenuating circumstances(this sounds ridiculous but is to an extent true). I think you would have a greater chance at Oxford even if they place a bit more emphasis on GCSE grades. Also see if the universities have an aptitude test - score well in those and you have an even better chance!

Honestly, no one can say for sure who will get an offer, but you won't unless you apply!

ReputationRep:

Maths - 90% UMS
    History - 100%
    Politics - 86%
    English Literature - 88%
    Your relevant UMS % is 92.6. You have 100% in History. They will not be that bothered by the Biology.
    Look at this presentation:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...Applicants.pdf

For History & English there are plenty of offers around the 92.5% mark.
    Your chances of an offer are perfectly reasonable if a little below average. What would you swap to at Oxford? PPE is virtually their most competitive course of all.
    I would choose the course you really want and go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    Your relevant UMS % is 92.6. You have 100% in History. They will not be that bothered by the Biology.
    Look at this presentation:
    http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...Applicants.pdf

For History & English there are plenty of offers around the 92.5% mark.
    Your chances of an offer are perfectly reasonable if a little below average. What would you swap to at Oxford? PPE is virtually their most competitive course of all.
    I would choose the course you really want and go for it.
    Thanks, the link was so useful! I've recently been thinking of maybe going into Law directly as the course looks really interesting there. Have always had it in mind to study a subject I really enjoy then do the one year conversion but am warming up to the idea of just studying Law for the 3 years. But law is competitive everywhere so I can sense that I may be being unrealistic here..

Sorry I realise I'm not the easiest person to advise, I am pretty indecisive when it comes to this

ReputationRep:
    I think Cambridge would be concerned as to your low scores in Politics and English because of your subject choice of HSPS, particularly without extenuating circumstances(this sounds ridiculous but is to an extent true). I think you would have a greater chance at Oxford even if they place a bit more emphasis on GCSE grades. Also see if the universities have an aptitude test - score well in those and you have an even better chance!

Honestly, no one can say for sure who will get an offer, but you won't unless you apply!
    Yes I was thinking they may seriously look down on my low As.. Yeah I will probably give it a go, and just try and make up for my low chances partly through my personal statement!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.