Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    So setting aside the obvious (read Good Medical Practice and do the online practice paper) which I'm 100% going to do...

Does anybody have any recommendations for SJT textbooks where the reasoning/answers were really well explained and/or seemed to fit really well with the kind of logic they use for the real thing?
    I've heard stories about textbooks having the same questions to the practice paper but different answers, which is fairly non-ideal, so I figured I'd ask and see if anybody can point me in the right direction.

I know lots of people just go with the practice papers and GMP but I would kind-of feel happier in myself if I could do all available things.

Suggestions appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I've just bought the Get Ahead and Oxford Assess & Progress SJT questions. I'm pretty sure pastest and passmedicine have a bank of SJT questions to get through. All of my friends who just graduated mentioned the question banks contradict one another so I'm a bit stumped about how to tackle the SJT. Some people say use the GMP guidelines and the official question bank on the site but I think this is one exam you can prepare for.

ReputationRep:
    All the books i looked at contradicted themselves and each other frequently. It's not been going for long enough for them to develop to a good standard yet.

For mine i used books a bit, then gave up on them, and instead went through the online practice test twice and made sure i was familiar with the main themes (protecting confidentiality, acting in best interest, communication with patient/relatives/coworkers, professional behaviour etc) and what answers they seemed to want on the website.

The questions from the website are near identical to many from the exam, many from the books were completely different.

Knowing GMP inside out will be useful as well, but at the end of the day in the exam no matter what you do you'll frequently find yourself with 2 or 3 options of the 5 which are almost impossible to distinguish between.

I did pretty well from it, but the SJT is a real crapshoot, i know plenty of very capable, intelligent and professional people who had their FPAS application damaged by it. Though i would say there seemed to be some correlation between decile scores and FPAS scores as well.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.