Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My boyfriend and I had been going out for over a year. We had such an amazing relationship. We're best friends, and we trust each other with our lives. We want to same things from life, and he always talked about our future together.

But then a few days ago he broke up with me. He said he loves me so much, and if he wanted to be in a relationship it would 1000% be with me, but he's not sure if he wants a relationship with anyone right now and that our relationship has become all about sex for him. So he said he needs to figure out what he wants, and that it's not fair on me for him to continue in this relationship atm.

He went onto talk about getting with other girls, and assured me that if he did, it wouldn't be with anyone i'm close to? That we'll still be best friends. That after uni he'll probably propose to me?

what the ****?!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely if he loved me as much as he claimed, then he wouldn't value getting with random girls over a strong relationship based on trust.

Now he talks to me as if the break up never happened. It's pretty much the same, except without the physical aspect. Well not the same...i'm hurting and I'm angry. But I don't know what to do. I'm so confused because i love him and i need him in my life (if only as a best friend) He's the only friend and family i have.

someone please tell me what to do

ReputationRep:
    Kick him to the curb and never look back. Block him out of your life and ignore his every move. He can't like you that much if he is undecided on a relationship. I'm sure there's a boy out there who would kill to be in a relationship with someone like you. Even though I don't know you, I believe there's that perfect person out there. His behaviour shows you are not his perfect person and you feeling unsure shows he isn't your perfect person. Take the plunge and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Translation: I want to sleep around and I don't want a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like he is young and freaking out about being tied down but still wants you there for company. I'd say remove him from your life if you truly want to get over him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittr n swt)
    This, unfortunately.

OP I know it's difficult, but if I was you I'd just remove him completely. It'll be easier for you to move on and he shouldn't get to dictate whether you're friends or whatever. As you said, if he cared that much about you, he'd be more interested in continuing your relationship than "getting with other girls"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My boyfriend and I had been going out for over a year. We had such an amazing relationship. We're best friends, and we trust each other with our lives. We want to same things from life, and he always talked about our future together.

But then a few days ago he broke up with me. He said he loves me so much, and if he wanted to be in a relationship it would 1000% be with me, but he's not sure if he wants a relationship with anyone right now and that our relationship has become all about sex for him. So he said he needs to figure out what he wants, and that it's not fair on me for him to continue in this relationship atm.

He went onto talk about getting with other girls, and assured me that if he did, it wouldn't be with anyone i'm close to? That we'll still be best friends. That after uni he'll probably propose to me?

what the ****?!

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but surely if he loved me as much as he claimed, then he wouldn't value getting with random girls over a strong relationship based on trust.

Now he talks to me as if the break up never happened. It's pretty much the same, except without the physical aspect. Well not the same...i'm hurting and I'm angry. But I don't know what to do. I'm so confused because i love him and i need him in my life (if only as a best friend) He's the only friend and family i have.

someone please tell me what to do
    You need to cut contact with him. He'll either miss you so much that he realises he's made a terrible mistake or if he doesn't you'll be able to move on with your life and find someone that you deserve. The last thing in the world you want to do is hang around, still being his "friend", waiting for him in the hopes that you'll end up together while he's getting with random girls. You do not deserve that at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but if he loved you, he wouldn't be breaking up with you, or planning on sleeping with other girls.

I know it seems like such a big deal right now, like you can't be without him, but after a few weeks it gets easier and you'll think about him less.

You don't need that kind of destructive personality in your life. He has literally just questioned your worth and value. You need a boy who will show you how valuable you are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lad.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds about right.
    If he had such a problem about how the relationship had turned out, why didn't he talk to you about it rather than just completely ending the relationship? What a load of crap. But if he can't find anyone or decides he's made a mistake, he has kept you sweet with proposing after university. If he's so sure he wants to spend the rest of his life with you then why take a three year break? Don't bother.
    As much as you may truely believe you need him in your life it is absolutely not the case. It isn't. There is nothing he can do for you that you can't do for yourself or find elsewhere. Just because you think he's the only one that matters in your life, it doesn't mean you need him. You're better off without him, as much as you would doubt that at this stage.

ReputationRep:
    Guy wants to **** girls and chew bubble gum - and he's all out of gum...

Sounds like a bit of a weirdo anyways to be fair, trying to keep you around to play with after he's finished sleeping around, like some sort of pet or old toy.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't suggest wasting any more time on that guy. He sounds kind of like a moron to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkbullets)
    You need to cut contact with him. He'll either miss you so much that he realises he's made a terrible mistake or if he doesn't you'll be able to move on with your life and find someone that you deserve. The last thing in the world you want to do is hang around, still being his "friend", waiting for him in the hopes that you'll end up together while he's getting with random girls. You do not deserve that at all.
    Yep, agree with this. If he really loves you he'll miss you and come back, if not then it's good you got out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to all these people telling you to cut him off they most likely have no experience with sex never mind maintaining a friendship with someone of the opposite gender. To me it seems like you just need to have a conversation with him letting him know about your feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm sorry for that inconvenience.
    But if you he loved you truly, why would the idea of sex come into his mind?
    He seems like the sort of guy who is just not stable for a commitment.
    Most guys are scared of this because their nature is not governed around commitments than girls.
    Give him time to be reassured.
    He'll come back around when he finally has stopped contemplating.
    Just chill and become the greater woman that you are.
    Guys are complicated and are not always certain for what they desire.
    You should be glad that he was honest with you.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Some guys don't want a relationship at a young age, they want to go out and get with as many girls as possible while they can. All a relationship does is bring you down.

ReputationRep:
    Additionally, I want to keep you hanging around waiting and hoping for me meanwhile with the suggestion of a proposal.

He'd probably prefer you not to be with anyone else till he's bored enough to come back to you again.

He is selfish, undeserving and insulting of you.

Cut contact and maybe he'll realise what he's lost and come grovelling back. If you stay friends and continue "as normal without the physical side" he'll be getting exactly what he wants - stringing you along as you'll be unable to move on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He's not worth it honey! If he's going to be getting with other girls and expecting you to be ok with that and wait on him tell him to forget it! Things might seem dark now, but I promise you it will get better. Move on!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.