Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the meaning of this quote, please i need help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    “We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.” (John Keating, Robin Williams)

I have my own ideas but what do you think this quote means?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priyanka345)
    “We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race.” (John Keating, Robin Williams)

I have my own ideas but what do you think this quote means?
    Thanks
    Maybe it means that Poetry is just natural? like it is part of what makes us Humans? and distinguishes us from every other living creature... No other life form can do poetry.

ReputationRep:
    I've always interpreted this quote as poetry shows humans are complex creatures that have deep and meaningful feelings. From poetry we experience so many different emotions, ones we have and have no experienced in our own lives. Poetry proves humans are not mindless machines, but instead have 'souls' if that's what you choose to call it. Some poets do write poetry to seduce and seem sweet, but there are plenty of poems that are there to expose human feelings and leave the race raw and open for analysis. We learn a lot about ourselves through poetry; we see what makes us strong and weak as a race. I suppose many people are in search of who they really are in a philosophical manner and you can self analyse yourself by writing or reading poetry. Overall, I think it's quite an optimistic quote that shows the beauty in the human race compared to a more modern cynical view of what it is to be human.
    Obviously, this is just my interpretation of the quote. I adore Dead Poets Society so much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.