The Student Room Group

Got my AS results and did terribly in OCR Maths and I don't know what to do now?

Poll

What should I do?

My friend collected my AS results yesterday and I have been studying 5 subjects this past year. I was targeted all B's at the start of the year.
At AS I got an A/Distinction in ICT, A in Financial Studies, A in Business and Economics, D in Psychology ( will retake both exams 3 UMS of an C) and the worst one an U in Maths. C1 I got an D, S1 an E, C2 took it completely down and I got a pathetic UMS which was an U and it took my whole grade down. I was 5 UMS of an E and I don't know whether remarking is worth it

I've always loved maths and it's been one of my favourite subject it was a major suprise that i didn't get an A in GCSE but I didn't work hard enough at all and I didn't focus throughout the whole year. I definitely didn't give my 100% and i should have got a tutor so the fault is completely mine.

I didn't really enjoy the topics that we learnt throughout the year and I found it difficult but C3 looks better and I didn't give my 100% which could have meant a different story.

I can continue with 4 subjects but I knew I did badly in the exams so I wanted to focus on it for the next year and therefore I dropped out of extra curricular stuff I could have done in the next year. My sixth form say you need an D to continue with the subject but i'm going to organise a meeting and see what they say as I really think if I put my mind on it, I could get an A/B like my other friends. I think my biggest problem is that, I haven't yet decided on what courses I want to do

If I get in my predicted grade will be low and the courses I'm looking at in Uni ask for a high Maths grade. Not really sure what to do, any advice. If I do drop maths what courses do I look at? I don't really have a clue as it is different to what I was planning. I will reply
(edited 9 years ago)
i'm being real, if you couldn't just wing GCSE maths and get an A - A level maths is probably not for you.
Reply 2
Original post by ruthlessv
i'm being real, if you couldn't just wing GCSE maths and get an A - A level maths is probably not for you.

I got an A and didn't work hard, did the same at A level and put in less effort (focus diverted to 5 subjects) and I got an U ( 5 UMS of an E) which says something
Original post by krs122
I got an A and didn't work hard, did the same at A level and put in less effort (focus diverted to 5 subjects) and I got an U ( 5 UMS of an E) which says something

Im in a similar boat. Our school you need a D to continue. I got my D in maths (C1-D, C2-D, S1-E) but im going to retake the exams next summer. With my physics I got an E but I had a meeting with my school and they have alowed me to carry on as long as I get a good mock grade at christmas.

If you really enjoy maths, continue with it and retake the exams not the year and study in your own time. I have found that bad grades give me loads of motivation to do better. If you dont love psychology then drop that or do all four and if maths gets hard again drop around december :smile: good luck
Hey perry
I got my results this year i was shocked because i worked every hard in physics not so much in maths (which are both ocr) i was 1 ums of E in physics and 5 ums of D in maths. I really like boths subjects and i didnt do well because of nerves in the exam and maybe my revision techniques. I need to resit but i dont know whether to do them with my a2 which will be very hard? I was thinking about doing extra year. What do u think?
Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest