The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Question: If you guys couldn't go to uni what would you do as an alternative?
And Half term :party:
Original post by Savita Paul
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me make a sustained decision PLEASE!!
Right, I sat my exams in June 2014 however my grades were very poor. I did Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History. At the end of AS levels this is what I got
Bio D, Predicted B #but I want A
Chem U, Predicted B #But I want a C
Maths E, predicated B #But I want a B
History C, predicated A #I want an A

I was really hoping for someone to recommend on what I should retake and what I should do!!
In particular I need help with Maths, (i'm retaking everything)--
C1- D
C2- E
S1- E

I'm not sure on what modules I should retake? please would someone be able to help me out. I cannot find my exam results sheet, to find out my UMS scores.

Thank you

How can we recommend without knowing scores?
Original post by Elm Tree
And Half term :party:

half term started last week for me :lol:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
How can we recommend without knowing scores?

I've mentioned my as grades above!

Bio - D
Maths - E
Chem- U
History -C
Original post by Savita Paul
I've mentioned my as grades above!

Bio - D
Maths - E
Chem- U
History -C

Yes but some people get like B in one module worth a small amount, and an E in something worth a lot more and so get a D or whatever. So you'd retake the E.

You should probably have just redone the year tbh.
Does anyone here think it is ever a good idea to resit an as module if you have scraped an A? My teacher has said i should to ensure I get an A overall, but I'm not sure if it is actually worth it? :dontknow:
Original post by LemonFish
Does anyone here think it is ever a good idea to resit an as module if you have scraped an A? My teacher has said i should to ensure I get an A overall, but I'm not sure if it is actually worth it? :dontknow:

No no no

Well which module?
chemistry unit 2
To be fair, i don't have any other resits to do and its the subject i want to do at uni
Original post by LemonFish
chemistry unit 2
To be fair, i don't have any other resits to do and its the subject i want to do at uni

F322? What was your score?

If it was below 130 you might as well give it a shot because it'll probably be your only may exam, and F324 will make it easy peasy
123, so yeah I think I'll go for it. Thanks for the help :smile:
Do you guys think knowledge is abstract?
Original post by Bude8
Do you guys think knowledge is abstract?

What does abstract mean in this context?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
What does abstract mean in this context?

Doesn't exist physically, but we can use/interact with it. A bit like the concept of 'numbers'.
Original post by Bude8
Doesn't exist physically, but we can use/interact with it. A bit like the concept of 'numbers'.

Then yes, knowledge is abstract imo. If knowledge had a physical quantity we'd be selling it.

It doesn't exist in the form of neural pathways or anything, and it can't be transferred.

For now anyway.
Original post by Bude8

Yeah it's abstract I think, by any reasonable definition of abstract.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
What are people up to this half term? :smile:

I'm giving blood! I'm more excited than I should be😒

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
I'm giving blood! I'm more excited than I should be

Posted from TSR Mobile

No man that is exciting, good for you :smile: . Unfortunately I'm not eligible to do it myself but if I could I totally would do.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
No man that is exciting, good for you :smile: . Unfortunately I'm not eligible to do it myself but if I could I totally would do.

Aha thanks! That's a shame about you not being eligible though😟 this is my second time, I just want to collect all the colour cards you get when you reach a certain number of donations because silly things like that excite me😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
Aha thanks! That's a shame about you not being eligible though this is my second time, I just want to collect all the colour cards you get when you reach a certain number of donations because silly things like that excite me

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to go with my mother when she donated and they would hand out different coloured key rings with the different blood groups on them. :biggrin:

I was kinda dissapointed when I found out that I couldn't do it, but apparently there's a risk that I could transmit the human version of mad cow disease if I do, so perhaps its for the best :lol: . I can't do bone marrow either but I'm on the organ donor register which didn't appear to have the same restrictions (I imagine that they still apply, but that they don't advertise them. I suppose that its best to recruit as many people as possible, and then just not use them). I hope that one day, when my intestines are scraped off of a road and shoved into somebody else, that I don't end up turning their brain into a sponge :h:

Latest