The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Can anyone think of any arguments to why Public health can be considered a strand of medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rachelc142
No problem! I also recommend the Naked Scientists and insidescience. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I shall give my own recommendation of the StarTalk radio show (Neil deGrasse Tyson's) :biggrin:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Maybe their courses aren't as good as they think :mmm:

I'm actually warming to the idea of any of my universities. Like to think that my worst choice is still top 10 in UK for Chemistry, is pretty damn good to have.

Trying to explain to my parents that if I go to Bath, it's still pretty damn good :lol:

They came top 3 in UK this year for Chemical Engineering. That person from Imperial said they were impressed because Bath has gone really far :biggrin:
My friend and I were having an argument about whether how 'tripos' is pronounced. How is it pronounced?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
My friend and I were having an argument about whether how 'tripos' is pronounced. How is it pronounced?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I pronounce it

Try-poss

Is probably try-pose

Posted from TSR Mobile

I say "try-poss" but I have heard somebody say "trip-oss"

Posted from TSR Mobile
I pronounce it

Try-poss

Is probably try-pose

This was the debate haha. I said tryposs, they trypose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I pronounce it

Try-poss

Is probably try-pose

Original post by rachelc142
I say "try-poss" but I have heard somebody say "trip-oss"

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was the debate haha. I said tryposs, they trypose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's try-poss

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say try-poss, but I can understand tree-poss or trip-oss.
Original post by Bude8
It's try-poss

Woooo
Woooo

Victory :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Woooo

Are you two going to believe me without even asking me why it's pronounced that way? :lol:

It's partly to do with its etymology.
Original post by Bude8
Are you two going to believe me without even asking me why it's pronounced that way? :lol:

It's got something to do with a stool I thought? (Or maybe that's just legend...)
Original post by O133
It's got something to do with a stool I thought? (Or maybe that's just legend...)

It does, actually :smile: tripus in Latin means tripod, and the stools graduates used to sit on were the origin I think.
Original post by Bude8

It's funny, I thought hmmm, what's to say his is right.

But then I thought, cba, I'm sure it will be
Original post by Bude8
It does, actually :smile: tripus in Latin means tripod, and the stools graduates used to sit on were the origin I think.

Yeah, I've just Wiktionaried it but got distracted comparing the IPA for different dialects of English.
Original post by Bude8

The pronunciation of tripus by the way is trip-uss.
Original post by O133
The pronunciation of tripus by the way is trip-uss.

I'm not actually too sure about the Latin pronunciation, but Wiktionary says: /ˈtri.puːs/ Not sure how to pronounce that, but it looks like a 'tri'
I've got Latin tomorrow, I'll ask my teacher then :lol:
Original post by Bude8
I'm not actually too sure about the Latin pronunciation, but Wiktionary says: /ˈtri.puːs/ Not sure how to pronounce that, but it looks like a 'tri'
I've got Latin tomorrow, I'll ask my teacher then :lol:

I believe i is a short i-sound (to use some very un-technical language) in IPA.
Original post by O133
I believe i is a short i-sound (to use some very un-technical language) in IPA.

Ah yes, Wiktionary says 'easY'. Still, trip-us sounds a bit unusual to me :lol: though the Romans did like their 'us' ending

Latest