The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
You make my pronunciation of 'butter' seem so common!

You certainly sound more northern in that one.
Original post by O133

And you more RP

Posted from TSR Mobile
And you more RP

Really? I think I sound more "common" in the second one.
Original post by O133
Really? I think I sound more "common" in the second one.

Maybe it's just the way you say butter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This by the way is a properly academic passage to compare accents:

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

(source)
Original post by O133
This by the way is a properly academic passage to compare accents:

Please call Stella. Ask her to bring these things with her from the store: Six spoons of fresh snow peas, five thick slabs of blue cheese, and maybe a snack for her brother Bob. We also need a small plastic snake and a big toy frog for the kids. She can scoop these things into three red bags, and we will go meet her Wednesday at the train station.

(source)

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0HldooMXrsN

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lrDgWW7tQX

My pronunciation of "train station" is a bit weird in this.
Original post by O133
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1lrDgWW7tQX

My pronunciation of "train station" is a bit weird in this.

The main difference is 'ask'. Train station was dodgy in mine too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The main difference is 'ask'. Train station was dodgy in mine too.

For some reason I noticed a big difference in "plastic snake" too. :confused:
Original post by O133
For some reason I noticed a big difference in "plastic snake" too. :confused:

I can't really notice one. How odd.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OK, so my accent is a culmination of going to american international schools for all of elementary school and attending a Scottish state school for all of secondary school. To be honest, I'm a chameleon when I speak - I mirror the accent of whoever talks to me.

Here's my standard accent:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Od70EE8Nmc

And my more British one:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s097Eb5IXzXB
Original post by Bude8
real

kids these days man

Source? :lol:
Original post by O133

*just caught up on thread*

Just been listening to all these voice recordings, and I can't believe you think Obiejess sounds northern - she sounds very very southern/well spoken compared to me and I don't even live that far from Nottingham!!

your accent is so lovely :colondollar: genuinely very jealous hahahah, I sound very brummie around family and very common around friends :facepalm:
Original post by rachelc142
your accent is so lovely :colondollar: genuinely very jealous hahahah, I sound very brummie around family and very common around friends :facepalm:

Aww thankyou.

I love brummie, second only to scouse. I think the reason I he thinks I sound northern is because of the whole ask/arsk thing :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aww thankyou.

I love brummie, second only to scouse. I think the reason I he thinks I sound northern is because of the whole ask/arsk thing :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think generally I don't sound very brummie but when I went to my manchester interview was talking to some undergrads and I said "I live near birmingham" and they all said simultaneously "yeah you can tell" I was so upset hahah :')

Yeah probably - I have a friend in liverpool who thinks I sound "dead posh" and go away every august bank holiday to a cricket tour which is in between cambridge and ipswich and they all say I sound northern because of the "glarrss" thing haha XD
I think generally I don't sound very brummie but when I went to my manchester interview was talking to some undergrads and I said "I live near birmingham" and they all said simultaneously "yeah you can tell" I was so upset hahah :')

Yeah probably - I have a friend in liverpool who thinks I sound "dead posh" and go away every august bank holiday to a cricket tour which is in between cambridge and ipswich and they all say I sound northern because of the "glarrss" thing haha XD

Luckily, I say glass (as in hassle) - not glars.

The joys of living in the midlands. Southerners call me a Northerner and Northerners call me a Southerner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Luckily, I say glass (as in hassle) - not glars.

The joys of living in the midlands. Southerners call me a Northerner and Northerners call me a Southerner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's definitely the true mark of a Midlander!

My one concern about going to uni - people thinking im "posh"!!!
It's definitely the true mark of a Midlander!

My one concern about going to uni - people thinking im "posh"!!!

Which unis are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which unis are you applying for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

applied for manchester, bristol, glasgow, edinburgh, cambs
firm choice will be manc, insurance will be bristol
so I will known as the "brummie" I have no doubt :ashamed2:

Latest