Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have chemistry AS level and next year I will be doing A2. I was wondering if I need Biology for medicine? I have Physics AS, which I am planning on dropping. I am also doing mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    Your choices will be significantly limited without at least AS biology. Have a look here for a summary of requirements. You will need at least 3 A2s as well, which it is not entirely clear from your post that you will have?

ReputationRep:
    A lot of universities don't require it, but just remember that the most competitive applicants will have it.

ReputationRep:
    You don't NEED it, but you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by not doing it.

ReputationRep:
    As far as an absolute requirement, it depends on the university.

As far as doing well on your course goes, I have to say that if I hadn't done Bio I would have been absolutely lost in 1st year genetics lectures this year. I knew a girl who hadn't done it and she had real trouble trying to catch up with bio stuff. Trust me, it really helps, especially when you're struggling to find your feet in 1st year!

tbh maths is not all that helpful for the medicine degree course content, I've found. My psych A-level has been far more relevant than maths, and to some extent physics as well.

ReputationRep:
    I have economics, but I read on Oxford's, UCL's and Imperial's website that it is not required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JIMBO789)
    I have economics, but I read on Oxford's, UCL's and Imperial's website that it is not required.
    For Imperial:
    If either Chemistry or Biology is offered alone at A-level, then the other is required at AS-level with at least a grade B.
    For UCL (at A2):
    Biology and Chemistry required, with A* in one of these subjects.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Additionally to the above, it may not be required for Oxford but their policy is:

Despite the fact that most applicants offering A-levels tend to take Biology (or Human Biology), this subject is NOT required at A2 level (or indeed at AS-level). However, do be aware that not having A-level Biology is associated with a greater risk of having difficulty at the early stages of the course (and other medical courses).
    Source. I'd recommend caution when applying without biology.

Basically: I have no idea what websites you're talking about, but you've somehow got it all wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Additionally to the above, it may not be required for Oxford but their policy is:

Source. I'd recommend caution when applying without biology.

Basically: I have no idea what websites you're talking about, but you've somehow got it all wrong.
    I have a bad feeling he/she may have been talking about A-level Economics.

ReputationRep:
    Oh whoops sorry, I meant I read I don't need Biology, but I am doing eerything but Physics to A2 Level

ReputationRep:
    Oh whoops sorry, I meant I read I don't need Biology, but I am doing eerything but Physics to A2 Level
    You still need Biology for the places you mentioned (except Oxford, where, as nexttime says, it would just be a very bad idea not to have it)!

ReputationRep:
    So then what can I do?

ReputationRep:
    So then what can I do?
    Beg your school to let you do AS Biology alongside your A2s?

ReputationRep:
    So then what can I do?
    More research? Hint - The Medicine Wiki.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.