Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on applying to JET this year and basically want to make as strong an application as I possibly can. I wondered if anyone could give me some advice as to what else I could be doing (I luckily have all the spare time in the world in which to do it).

In terms of teaching...
    • I volunteer as an (adult) ESOL assistant, currently been doing it for 3 months and it's ongoing.
    • 6 years experience one to one piano/flute/music theory tuition (all ages), not ongoing- I stopped in 2011 when I had to move area and lost my clients.
    • TEFL Cambridge Level 5 140 hour online. I got distinction in the online component but never booked in to sit the TKT test units.
    • CIEH Education and Training Level 3 (it replaced the old PTLLS)

In terms of 'interest in international exchange' (or however they put it)
    • I use language exchange sites and have made a few good friends in Japan through it.
    • I have N2 of the JLPT and am taking N1 in December.
    • I have a deferred place on a Masters course to study Ethnomusicology and studied Japanese traditional/classical music for part of a module during undergrad.
    • I worked in France during one summer (although it was about 12 years ago).

I'm half considering trying to get a short term ESOL assistant contract in a different country (I've seen loads in China, for example) because I think it would bring everything together nicely (and I can see if I'm cut out for the whole thing before I commit to a year). The only thing is it may be difficult to work around the application/interview dates and it will probably be more of a telling them "I'm going to do this" than "I've already done it".

Apologies for the huge post! I'd be really grateful of any thoughts

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who's done this scheme. PM me and maybe I can put you in touch with her.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.