The Student Room Group

Have I made a mistake going to an ex-poly? With really good A level grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Cameron10
I had the choice of Kent or Brookes to do Politics and History and I chose Oxford Brookes in the end, mainly because of it's location, the fact that it wasn't in the middle of nowhere, had a good emphasis on transferable skills to the workplace, for instance the history course gives me a chance to go on a placement at a school/museum etc, while Sussex and Kent don't. and it was near all the major cities in the country.

For me having experience is crucial more than good academic qualifications. Which is funny considering I got A*AB at A level.

But a part of me feels like I should go to somewhere really prestigious, so that my good grades worked for something, but I had a very specific choice of university in mind, i.e had to be near London, not to have too much emphasis on exams, and good work experience opportunities.

So in that respect, it only left Brookes, Kent and Sussex to compete

Sussex currently has vacancies for Politics and History am I am tempted, the course looks better too, but the university seems to have a strong left wing political culture, which might make me feel uncomfortable given my views. Plus it doesn't have the work-based emphasis like Brookes and isn't near all the major cities, just London.

I just feel like because I'm going to an ex-poly I am selling myself short, but another part of me just tells me to grow up, and it doesn't matter where you go, it's what you do there that matters to employers. My best mate got A*A*A for A level and he is going to Swansea, again like my course asking for BBC.

Is it bad that despite being someone who is good academically, I want to go to a university where it's practice for working life, rather than pure prestige?

My two cents:
Avoiding a university for its political tendencies is not stupid, as some have posted. I have multiple friends who went to study business at Queen Mary University of London and ended up withdrawing or transferring after a year because they were shocked by the leftist bias.
As for Oxford Brookes, it's the best of the ex-poly universities and a strong contender to many, if not most Russell Group institutions, across the board. Not to mention the beautiful city, the opportunities, the Oxford student union connections, the strong emphasis on employability, the increasing international popularity (in my visit to Oxford Brookes I met many, many Canadian and American students), etc. You can't really go wrong. Especially if what you want is a practical degree, going to Oxford Brookes will get you a kickstart to your career that Kent and Sussex (no offence to either institution) really wouldn't. I'd be thrilled at the opportunity of studying in such a beautiful city, if I were you! Hear the nightlife's not half bad either!
Original post by returnmigrant
Totally agree. The idea of 'prestige' is something that obsesses 17 year olds - mainly because they think this is is a 'easy' way to pick a University, without needing them to think beyond this. Instead of thinking, Why am I going to Uni at all? Isn't the course content a more important consideration? they use something similar to arguing about the 'quality' of Football teams to decide where they should apply.

Most of the Unis that were either Polytechnics or HE colleges etc before obtaining University status, started their life in the C19th. Many are therefore far 'older' than other established Universities.

Oxford Polytechnic (now Oxford Brookes) was the first University to introduce modular degrees that allowed students to combine a variety of subjects rather than a narrow 'one subject' degree. It revolutionised the approach towards University education in the 1970s and many Universities then went on to copy this degree structure. Polytechnics were the first to introduce the idea of Work Placements, Year Abroad etc.

Many of the comments here are a bit naive, and show a lack of understanding about what I can only describe as the 'real world'. Going to University is about far more than 'mine is better than yours'.

Completely agree with you, assuming a university is the best for someone because of its 'prestige' is ridiculous.
I'm starting Brookes in September as well, it doesn't bother me that it has that 'ex-poly' tag. I love the course, the facilities are amazing, I love Oxford as a place and when I went to the open day I could see myself going there and being happy. I can't wait to start :smile:
Original post by katearch
This is all absolute BS. I knew using this stupid website is a bad idea, it's just a bunch of middle-aged people that are too old to be students trying to outsmart teenagers who are going to uni. If you're all so successful and talented, why are you spending your spare time on a website for under 24s? ​Mmm hmm, bye.

Whilst the thread has gone - ahem - a bit off topic, I think some of the older posters are trying to allay the OP's fears that he is making a major life mistake by trying to offer some context of the long run. It is true that the university you attend can create or shut off options for you, but sadly, you can't determine this by league tables since so much of it is to do with the individual university's offering, how a student engages with it, and frankly, luck. Even then your degree will in most cases only open the first door for you, and from then on, it's up to you to make the most of your career. Obviously there are exceptions, but I think a lot of posters here imply that prestige exercises some sort of iron-clad influence, when it's more of a vague trend, if that. It's not surprising though that most posters here get really hung up about it - it is, when you're 18, probably the most important decision you've ever made. It's just that when you're several years out of university and you've gained in self-confidence it starts to seem much less important. You only really make big life errors if you take the wrong course.
Reply 123
Original post by pink pineapple
Completely agree with you, assuming a university is the best for someone because of its 'prestige' is ridiculous.
I'm starting Brookes in September as well, it doesn't bother me that it has that 'ex-poly' tag. I love the course, the facilities are amazing, I love Oxford as a place and when I went to the open day I could see myself going there and being happy. I can't wait to start :smile:

What did you do get for A level and what course are you doing mate? :smile:
Original post by Mansun
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. In a few cases I would give the ok to a top student to study at an ex-poly for a highly sought for and career enhancing course, but in most cases definitely not.

I will never ''grow out'' of what you perceive as bigotry, as it is imbedded deeply in society. For example, I did my BSc at Nottingham, then my MSc at Birkbeck, and then I applied and got rejected by UCL to do a PhD in Neuroscience, apparently because my MSc at Birkbeck was not up to scratch. UCL then offered me an MSc instead, which I accepted.

Well, I think your case is the exception then. I actually know someone who graduated from London Met with a first class and will be going to do a Msc course at Imperial this September. Oh, and the person is German if that makes any difference, in reply to your PM comment some pages after this. With masters, it is all about affording the money to fund the subject, and writing an exceptional statement, that's all there is to it.

To OP, choose where you would be genuinely happy at. It isn't all about prestige but rather what you make of the degree. Ignore TSR, with their elitism. :rolleyes: On a side note, it would be better to go to the ex poly, work hard for that coveted 1st class then apply at any RG uni you want for a Msc, that is if you are still snubby about a University's name. I know of people with PHD's in far lower Universities, but are very successful, than those that went to RG ones.
(edited 9 years ago)
What did you do get for A level and what course are you doing mate? :smile:

I got BCC (I know kinda rubbish compared to everyone on here but I got really really low grades after AS so I was pretty pleased in the end). I'm doing politics and international relations :smile:
Reply 126
UCL rejected a BBK Msc on its own merit ?

Find that hard to believe, the two are next door to each other.

He must have flunked or got a low pass, probably closer to the truth.
My dad went to a poly (when it *was* a poly) and is now living pretty damned comfortably, content with his work in computer science.
Original post by mrkl
UCL rejected a BBK Msc on its own merit ?

Find that hard to believe, the two are next door to each other.

He must have flunked or got a low pass, probably closer to the truth.

Yes - it's not inconceivable that they felt the course content didn't prepare the poster adequately for a PhD (which is quite common). But that's not the same as saying the university wasn't good enough. When I did my MA+PhD one of our cohort did his UG degree at Hull in a different subject, did amazingly well at it, and proceeded to kick all of our Russell Group arses at postgraduate level. There were absolutely cases of non-admittance to PhDs but to the best of my knowledge this was nothing to do with the University, only admissions' inability to substantiate whether their previous education was enough to prepare them for a PhD (which was, that I can see, to do with the subject and content, not the institution). Obviously I don't know the poster, and he may have been explicitly told 'Birkbeck is not good enough' - but in the absence of that information, it's certainly not the conclusion I would draw.
Reply 129
Original post by katearch
This is all absolute BS. I knew using this stupid website is a bad idea, it's just a bunch of middle-aged people that are too old to be students trying to outsmart teenagers who are going to uni. If you're all so successful and talented, why are you spending your spare time on a website for under 24s? ​Mmm hmm, bye.

Well I am 30, and back to do a second MSc at UCL. I just find academia more interesting than working in business. I wasn't aware TSR was exclusively for <24 year olds?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 130
Original post by Kitty Pimms
Yes - it's not inconceivable that they felt the course content didn't prepare the poster adequately for a PhD (which is quite common). But that's not the same as saying the university wasn't good enough. When I did my MA+PhD one of our cohort did his UG degree at Hull in a different subject, did amazingly well at it, and proceeded to kick all of our Russell Group arses at postgraduate level. There were absolutely cases of non-admittance to PhDs but to the best of my knowledge this was nothing to do with the University, only admissions' inability to substantiate whether their previous education was enough to prepare them for a PhD (which was, that I can see, to do with the subject and content, not the institution). Obviously I don't know the poster, and he may have been explicitly told 'Birkbeck is not good enough' - but in the absence of that information, it's certainly not the conclusion I would draw.

HEY it's you ! The one who started the bumper thread. Ha Ha
Original post by mrkl
HEY it's you ! The one who started the bumper thread. Ha Ha

I pootle about from time to time :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
Original post by Kitty Pimms

Well obviously UCL didn't say, ''Sorry, Birbkeck isn't good enough for us''. They just said due to the high number of outstanding applications they receive at the Institute of Neurology for their PhD programmes, they felt there were other candidates better qualified. They suggested doing an MSc with them informally, and I accepted. Everyone knows Birkbeck is only a fairly good university, it is not in the same league as RG universities, let alone UCL. It may have had nothing to do with Birkbeck at all, as I read one case study from a guy who did his BSc at UCL, MSc at Imperial, and didn't get any offers for a PhD at either of them and KCL. The competition in certain medical fields is intense in London.

I'm not sure what more I can do to stop mrkl from stalking me on TSR. They have been told numerous times, and they have long since been on the ignore list, yet they keep coming back for more trash talk. This doesn't sound much like a typical Bristol alumni, unless one that has had some problems since.
(edited 9 years ago)
i got A*BB and got onto a course that needed A*AA so yolo brah
A*AB is hardly really good...
I had the choice of Kent or Brookes to do Politics and History and I chose Oxford Brookes in the end, mainly because of it's location, the fact that it wasn't in the middle of nowhere, had a good emphasis on transferable skills to the workplace, for instance the history course gives me a chance to go on a placement at a school/museum etc, while Sussex and Kent don't. and it was near all the major cities in the country.

For me having experience is crucial more than good academic qualifications. Which is funny considering I got A*AB at A level.

But a part of me feels like I should go to somewhere really prestigious, so that my good grades worked for something, but I had a very specific choice of university in mind, i.e had to be near London, not to have too much emphasis on exams, and good work experience opportunities.

So in that respect, it only left Brookes, Kent and Sussex to compete

Sussex currently has vacancies for Politics and History am I am tempted, the course looks better too, but the university seems to have a strong left wing political culture, which might make me feel uncomfortable given my views. Plus it doesn't have the work-based emphasis like Brookes and isn't near all the major cities, just London.

I just feel like because I'm going to an ex-poly I am selling myself short, but another part of me just tells me to grow up, and it doesn't matter where you go, it's what you do there that matters to employers. My best mate got A*A*A for A level and he is going to Swansea, again like my course asking for BBC.

Is it bad that despite being someone who is good academically, I want to go to a university where it's practice for working life, rather than pure prestige?

Perhaps with such rigid views university isn't for you at all...
Reply 136
At the end of the day, students can go where they like. It is they who will bear the consequences further down the road if their degree or university is not respected as much as they thought it would be by some employers. As a general rule, Russell Group universities will be respected by anyone, anywhere, in any profession. Work experience placements do matter, but IMO only a fool would turn down a place at Durham, Nottingham or any other top RG university with A*AA/AAB grades for a course at an ex-poly that has a placement year built in (subject to interview).
Original post by Mansun
Well obviously UCL didn't say, ''Sorry, Birbkeck isn't good enough for us''. They just said due to the high number of outstanding applications they receive at the Institute of Neurology for their PhD programmes, they felt there were other candidates better qualified. They suggested doing an MSc with them informally, and I accepted. Everyone knows Birkbeck is only a fairly good university, it is not in the same league as RG universities, let alone UCL. It may have had nothing to do with Birkbeck at all, as I read one case study from a guy who did his BSc at UCL, MSc at Imperial, and didn't get any offers for a PhD at either of them and KCL. The competition in certain medical fields is intense in London.

Sure. It may be that they have other candidates who as you say have additional experience etc (two of my friends did their PhD there, so I know it's a good institute and as you say, tough to get in). I'm in another discipline but in my year the filtering factor seemed to be firsts in everything. Actually in my case I'm not sure that worked, as a PhD requires really different skills. Good luck with your career plans if you decide to continue, I hope it works out for you.

I'm not sure what more I can do to stop mrkl from stalking me on TSR. They have been told numerous times, and they have long since been on the ignore list, yet they keep coming back for more trash talk. This doesn't sound much like a typical Bristol alumni, unless one that has had some problems since.

You need to post in ask a moderator. They may have some suggestions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So just to throw my 2 cents into the ring. I'm starting my PhD in Brookes in September in order to do this PhD I turned down two offers from Edinburgh University. I don't regret having done this in the slightest. Edinburgh is a juggernaut and an incredible academic powerhouse but Brookes provided a research topic which really inspired me and they have fantastic people with great contacts.

For example my PI is an understudy and collaborator with the worlds top researcher in her field who work in Oxford University this connection gives me massive benefits that simply wouldn't exist in Edinburgh. Also Brookes had better superresolution microscopy facilities.
Original post by doom_rever
So just to throw my 2 cents into the ring. I'm starting my PhD in Brookes in September in order to do this PhD I turned down two offers from Edinburgh University. I don't regret having done this in the slightest. Edinburgh is a juggernaut and an incredible academic powerhouse but Brookes provided a research topic which really inspired me and they have fantastic people with great contacts.

For example my PI is an understudy and collaborator with the worlds top researcher in her field who work in Oxford University this connection gives me massive benefits that simply wouldn't exist in Edinburgh. Also Brookes had better superresolution microscopy facilities.

THIS is the thought process you need to have when choosing a Uni for postgrad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending