Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In my AS results for maths I managed to score higher in my Core 2 exam than in my Core 1. My results were:
    Core 1 - 78 marks - B
    Core 2 - 93 marks - A

I was just wondering if anybody else managed to score higher on their C2 exam than their C1 because I seem to have confused all of my maths teachers as to how I did better in the supposedly harder exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmieJo)
    In my AS results for maths I managed to score higher in my Core 2 exam than in my Core 1. My results were:
    Core 1 - 78 marks - B
    Core 2 - 93 marks - A

I was just wondering if anybody else managed to score higher on their C2 exam than their C1 because I seem to have confused all of my maths teachers as to how I did better in the supposedly harder exam?
    We always have a number of students who do this, in some cases because they're not very good without a calculator.

I've just had a quick count - this year is was 35 out of 161 students, rather more than I was expecting. It's at all levels from students in the 90s down to students in the 20s. Some are by just a couple of marks, some by 20 or more.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Core 1 - 78 marks - B
    Core 2 - 93 marks - A

Almost all of our candidates scored higher on OCR C2 than C1 this time. I presume it was because of the absence of January exams and the C2 content was fresher in their memories. We need to build in more revision time next year.

ReputationRep:
    Core 1 - 78 marks - B
    Core 2 - 93 marks - A

I'm in the same situation as you. Although you did a lot better than me.

Core 1 - 68 ums - C
    Core 2 - 80 ums - A

I came out of the core 1 exam thinking it was the easiest of all my maths exams especially Core 2 being the hardest but somehow my predictions went the other way. Although the grade boundaries did go up for Core 1 and slightly lower grade boundaries this year for Core 2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not disclosing my marks but I found them of similar difficulty and at the end my C2 was better than my C1 by 3 UMS.

C1 is more about making fewer mistakes and your mental maths skills, while C2 is more about actual maths, but you have the aid of a calculator. C2 is the harder module for most because I've seen people race a C1 in 9 minutes, and that is not possible for C2.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.