Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm picking up my GCSE results next week but shockingly enough, I still haven't picked a career. In the past year or two, I've considered: Film Director, Cinematographer, Teaching, Accounting or being a Historian. Firstly, allow me to break down each career:

Film Director:
    Pros: I love films, I love how they're made. It is my DREAM career.
    Cons: I see films come out by Directors who have no experience, yet they're in their 40's, it makes me worry. What if I don't make it? And how long would I be waiting? What do I do for 40 years?

Cinematographer:
    Pros: Again, I love the visual style of films
    Cons: Again, how do I break into it? Make it a sustainable career?

Teaching:
    Pros: I am a good teacher, I always put others before myself, nearly everyone I know has suggested to me that I do this.
    Cons: No real major cons, just not sure about it.

Accounting:
    Pros: I am responsible with money, I like the career also
    Cons: I'm not great at maths, I can do multiplications, fractions and all. But I struggle on thing such as area. Its my weakness.

Historian:
    Pros: I love history, I would probably teach it, I'm fascinated by history
    Cons: What kind of career can I have, besides Teaching?

Please help. I just don't know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't pick my career until I was in my early twenties - plenty of people I know it's been much later than that!

Choose your courses out of the subjects you enjoy studying. You are more likely to do well, and this will be more transferable than bad grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to study:
    English Lit
    History
    Photography
    Economics
    A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good mix. If you got good results in those you could go into many different careers with those, including those you have mentioned.

(I'm not an expert in the film industry though, so someone might be able to give you more direction on that).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by DebkoX)
    Hello, I'm picking up my GCSE results next week but shockingly enough, I still haven't picked a career. In the past year or two, I've considered: Film Director, Cinematographer, Teaching, Accounting or being a Historian. Firstly, allow me to break down each career:
    I'm a graduate nearly a decade older than you with a good CV, and I have no idea what I want to do for a career. It's not worth worrying about at your age, pick subjects that you enjoy and that you think you can do well in. The ones you've listed are fine.

ReputationRep:

Film Director:
    Pros: I love films, I love how they're made. It is my DREAM career.
    Cons: I see films come out by Directors who have no experience, yet they're in their 40's, it makes me worry. What if I don't make it? And how long would I be waiting? What do I do for 40 years?

Cinematographer:
    Pros: Again, I love the visual style of films
    Cons: Again, how do I break into it? Make it a sustainable career?

Teaching:
    Pros: I am a good teacher, I always put others before myself, nearly everyone I know has suggested to me that I do this.
    Cons: No real major cons, just not sure about it.

Accounting:
    Pros: I am responsible with money, I like the career also
    Cons: I'm not great at maths, I can do multiplications, fractions and all. But I struggle on thing such as area. Its my weakness.

Historian:
    Pros: I love history, I would probably teach it, I'm fascinated by history
    Cons: What kind of career can I have, besides Teaching?

Please help. I just don't know what to do.
    A friend of mine loves media, film (the production aspect) and he worked in the field doing editing and some media tech stuff for a year. He loved it but didn't see it as too reliable in terms of long-term income, so he's done a PGCE and is now looking for a Media Teacher/Film Studies teaching job at College level. He worked as a Teacher during his PGCE and enjoyed the teaching aspect of it, just didn't like the politics of the place he worked at.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you feel any better, I'm going to uni next month and I still haven't picked mine .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomgeeza)
    A friend of mine loves media, film (the production aspect) and he worked in the field doing editing and some media tech stuff for a year. He loved it but didn't see it as too reliable in terms of long-term income, so he's done a PGCE and is now looking for a Media Teacher/Film Studies teaching job at College level. He worked as a Teacher during his PGCE and enjoyed the teaching aspect of it, just didn't like the politics of the place he worked at.
    Sounds like the situation I could be in someday!

ReputationRep:
    After much-thought, its become incredibly clear that Teaching is for me. People always ask for my help, I LOVE helping others and its a career I can see myself doing. So teaching it is, its now just a case of which subject (History vs English) and which level. Many thanks.

ReputationRep:
    After much-thought, its become incredibly clear that Teaching is for me. People always ask for my help, I LOVE helping others and its a career I can see myself doing. So teaching it is, its now just a case of which subject (History vs English) and which level. Many thanks.
    Based on your above choices, it seems obvious that you should be a History Teacher who runs the annual school production

ReputationRep:
    I've decided

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.