The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
I have my reservations about Sterling. He's a West London boy - if I was him, I wouldn't be in any rush to sign a contract tying me to Liverpool for years either. Sure, the club and Rodgers have worked wonders for him...but, that said, he has no loyalty to us really. He's not a Giggs, Carragher or a Gerrard...I can see him eventually moving on to one of Europe's biggest clubs - and when he does, it'll be a big blow.

Suarez's position was untenable in English football I think it's fair to say. We could gloss over his departure really well - we were essentially getting £75m for a player that many thought we should sack for nothing. It was smart business and the right time. IF the European giants - the Madrids, the Barcelonas, the PSGs - are to come in and take Sterling, it proves that we are vulnerable as a club to the heavyweights.

Really dont think you guys should worry about losing Sterling tbh. I doubt he'd move abroad, over the years and recently barely any top English players have moved abroad to play for some of Europe's finest.

I think out of respect he wouldnt move to City or Chelsea. He'll never move to United. However, as you've said he doesnt have the same loyalty as Giggs, Carra, Gerrard, Terry so maybe he'd move to City or Chelsea. Hazard and Sterling on the wings would be a frightening prospect. I can see City going for him since they need more English players so they'll obviously target the very best English talents and players and Sterling is just that.

Imo dont think he'll leave Liverpool and probably will commit his peak years to Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
He'll only go to City or Chelsea for big stacks. Don't think Chelsea will pay that for him either, they seem to have had some emphasis recently on financial stability and I don't see

City maybe but they've been in trouble with FFP so even they may be unlikely.

LFC will be apprehensive to sell him domestically too.

Agree with WOLO, it does make it look like he'll stay unless he's open to Spain.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Really dont think you guys should worry about losing Sterling tbh. I doubt he'd move abroad, over the years and recently barely any top English players have moved abroad to play for some of Europe's finest.

I think out of respect he wouldnt move to City or Chelsea. He'll never move to United. However, as you've said he doesnt have the same loyalty as Giggs, Carra, Gerrard, Terry so maybe he'd move to City or Chelsea. Hazard and Sterling on the wings would be a frightening prospect. I can see City going for him since they need more English players so they'll obviously target the very best English talents and players and Sterling is just that.

Imo dont think he'll leave Liverpool and probably will commit his peak years to Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not worried about losing him - and nor's Rodgers, if you believe his quotes.

We've got him tied down for the next few years and he'll (hopefully) give us his best football during that period. I can certainly see him playing abroad, though. He seems like the type of lad surrounded by questionable decision makers. Obviously, his agent will be wanting the best deal possible for him and I don't think it's outrageous to suspect that he will be moving on in a few years.

It would be disastrous if we lost him to a PL rival, though.
Original post by So Instinct
He'll probs get tied down to a fat release clause.

There is a chance he wont want to go to Spain and even less likely Germany.
He seems the type that will want to stay in the UK, being a young London teen with all his friends and family here. Though this isn't really based on anything.

I'd rather move to Chelsea or City if it were me, wouldn't want to live abroad. English players often stay in England, bar Bale.

unless he sky rockets and becomes a world class player over the next few seasons, i won't be worried.
and even if that did happen, we'd get a ridiculous amount of money for him anyway.
the kid is 19 and he's already essential to both club and country, quite frankly that's insane.

i agree that i don't think he's the type of player who would want to go abroad.
city or chelsea as others have stateed would be definite step ups but for us to sell him domestically i'm sure we'd add on a nice premium.

people are just talking about the possibility of leaving simply because he hasn't signed a new contract yet.
we aren't exactly one of the top 10 clubs in the world but we're still at a high level and the guy is a key player who will always get game time and be high up the rankings at liverpool.
Just when I start feeling slightly positive again, the international break comes...

He seems the type that will want to stay in the UK, being a young London teen with all his friends and family here. Though this isn't really based on anything.

I'd rather move to Chelsea or City if it were me, wouldn't want to live abroad. English players often stay in England, bar Bale.

Would that be the same Bale who isn't English?
Original post by sr90

:biggrin:

I'd rather move to Chelsea or City if it were me, wouldn't want to live abroad. British players often stay in England, bar Bale.

Original post by sr90

what you on about, he said british :colone:

i got your back kam:cool:
Original post by Lúcio
what you on about, he said british :colone:

i got your back kam:cool:

You got him back 'kam'? Dont you mean fam? :tongue: or maybe his name is kam :curious:

Posted from TSR Mobile
You got him back 'kam'? Dont you mean fam? :tongue: or maybe his name is kam :curious:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm sorry, that information is classified.
Original post by Lúcio

In other words you answered my question :colone:

Anyways, with Sturridge back do you expect to fire on all cylinders straight away against QPR? I still think Rodgers will try ease him in and probably bring him on second half.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyways, with Sturridge back do you expect to fire on all cylinders straight away against QPR? I still think Rodgers will try ease him in and probably bring him on second half.

i expect we'll build a little momentum.
it's clear that we have sufferent recently through a lack of creation.
and even when we do create, the finishing has been below par (i.e: balotelli)

sturridge can not only make a chance from nothing, he's a very clinical striker on his day.

it may take time for him to be fully match fit (like lallana), but his returning game is only against QPR; i don't see why he can't start the game and come off early if we're comfortable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The best thing will be to ease him in, no point giving him 90 mins and rushing his fitness since he's so injury prone. Hopefully he doesn't have any more injuries this season...

I expect him to score straight away, the guy is really clinical and a very hard worker. He'll probably get a few decent chances vs QPR and he'll put at least one away. He is going to be such a boost to the team, our results will improve tenfold with Sturridge being fit.
QPR looking woeful right now. Could have done with the international break coming after another three points (and hopefully a victory by more than a mere one goal margin).
Original post by Lúcio

i expect we'll build a little momentum.
it's clear that we have sufferent recently through a lack of creation.
and even when we do create, the finishing has been below par (i.e: balotelli)

sturridge can not only make a chance from nothing, he's a very clinical striker on his day.

it may take time for him to be fully match fit (like lallana), but his returning game is only against QPR; i don't see why he can't start the game and come off early if we're comfortable.

Yeah fair enough. Dont think he'll start though but he'll definately make a difference if he plays and merely through his presence on the pitch alone. He could be key to getting the best out of Balotelli.

Original post by The.Joker
The best thing will be to ease him in, no point giving him 90 mins and rushing his fitness since he's so injury prone. Hopefully he doesn't have any more injuries this season...

I expect him to score straight away, the guy is really clinical and a very hard worker. He'll probably get a few decent chances vs QPR and he'll put at least one away. He is going to be such a boost to the team, our results will improve tenfold with Sturridge being fit.

Yeah agree. Whenever he gets injured, hes usually out for a long time so im sure you guys are hoping he doesnt suffer another. Simply put, Liverpool look poor without him. With him, its a complete contrast. I'll honestly be shocked if you fail to beat QPR.

Original post by Mackay
QPR looking woeful right now. Could have done with the international break coming after another three points (and hopefully a victory by more than a mere one goal margin).

Yeah im expecting Liverpool to pile more misery onto them. However, I'd be careful though since they wont be under pressure to win and could go out and play thier hearts out and express themselves. There are no easy games in the PL.

Tbh im sure even a one goal win would be okay. 3 points is 3 points regardless of how you play although i can understand why you'd want Liverpool to hammer them. Winning by a larger margin would be a good confidence boost for Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I meant British players don't often move out of British leagues.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I meant British players don't often move out of British leagues.

bit late...
Original post by The.Joker
our results will improve tenfold with Sturridge being fit.

:cool:
Original post by sr90

Maybe.

(edited 9 years ago)
^ send him to bandcamp sr

Quick Reply

Latest