The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

I'm surprised you lot are doing so badly with the quality you have in your team tbh.
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Our GD is 4 lower than Basel, do we need to beat them by at least 4, or is it head to head?

If we beat them, we'll be higher on points anyway.
Original post by mr tim
If we beat them, we'll be higher on points anyway.

Oh yeah :colondollar:
Are all the media reporters stupid or I am missing something. As long as Real Madrid beat Basel, whether Liverpool drew or won against Ludogorets makes absolutely no difference in terms of continuing with champions league. If Liverpool had won, they would have still needed to win against Basel, as a draw would put them on the same points as Basel but Basel would go through as they won against Liverpool at home. So why are all medias saying things like "Blow to Liverpool's chances blah blah blah"

I am Bulgarian so supported Ludogorets and they played really well today, give or take a few fatal mistakes. The advantage of being at home is clear but for a team like Liverpool, they really shouldn't allow to pretty much get outplayed in 2 games like that. Ok they won the first game, but that was the biggest gift ever with a totally un-needed penalty at injury time.

Unless something changes and quick. I'm sure Basel will win and go through. It might be, that the penalty from the first game against Ludogorets ensure that Liverpool don't come last in the group, which is just unbelievable really.
i'm embarrassed that we couldn't beat ludogorets however the sad thing is that i kind of expected it.
i did miss the match - how did we actually perform?

also, am i right in saying that technically a win would've made no difference in terms of getting through?
obviously morale and form will be affected but even if we had won tonight, wouldn't we still have needed to beat basel anyway?

essentially didn't this game have no real effect unless we lost (or unless madrid slipped up)?
Original post by jam277
I'm surprised you lot are doing so badly with the quality you have in your team tbh.

i swear to god...
I only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised nobody has blamed Balotelli yet, even though he didn't play.
I'm sad to say but I turned the match off last night after Mignolet's howler and didn't check the score until the final whistle.

Then, I watched the goals. Couldn't bare sitting through another dire performance - but by all accounts apparently we weren't that bad.
Original post by UniMastermindBOSS
I only read a few pages back, but I'm surprised nobody has blamed Balotelli yet, even though he didn't play.

We wouldn't have even scored at all if he was playing hence would've lost. Lambert looks much better.
Original post by dada55
Are all the media reporters stupid or I am missing something. As long as Real Madrid beat Basel, whether Liverpool drew or won against Ludogorets makes absolutely no difference in terms of continuing with champions league. If Liverpool had won, they would have still needed to win against Basel, as a draw would put them on the same points as Basel but Basel would go through as they won against Liverpool at home. So why are all medias saying things like "Blow to Liverpool's chances blah blah blah"

I am Bulgarian so supported Ludogorets and they played really well today, give or take a few fatal mistakes. The advantage of being at home is clear but for a team like Liverpool, they really shouldn't allow to pretty much get outplayed in 2 games like that. Ok they won the first game, but that was the biggest gift ever with a totally un-needed penalty at injury time.

Unless something changes and quick. I'm sure Basel will win and go through. It might be, that the penalty from the first game against Ludogorets ensure that Liverpool don't come last in the group, which is just unbelievable really.

Its funny because Liverpool and Ludo were gifting each other goals over the two games, for Ludo its fine but for Liverpool it's a disgrace. I feel Liverpool did enough to win the game as Ludo didn't look like scoring in the second half up until Liverpool decided to sit back and invite pressure that inevitably lead to the goal. Liverpool weren't even that bad tbh, if Sterling scored his goal than no one would be complaining.
Sterlings finishing is atrocious there's no power and the placement of his shots are terrible.

He's still a good player but was completely overhyped last season when the success was clearly down to two players. Gerrard, Henderson and Sterling get hyped up by the media along with SAS because they're nationalist and want the England players to look good, same with John Flanagan.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Sterlings finishing is atrocious there's no power and the placement of his shots are terrible.

He's still a good player but was completely overhyped last season when the success was clearly down to two players.

His finishing and final pass is all that is missing, he is still young though and has loads of potential and time to improve.
Original post by jam277

He's still a good player but was completely overhyped last season when the success was clearly down to two players. Gerrard, Henderson and Sterling get hyped up by the media along with SAS because they're nationalist and want the England players to look good, same with John Flanagan.

No he's the best young player in the world and will hit 20+ goals this season.

Who was it that said he was on par with hazard
Original post by baconbutty
No he's the best young player in the world and will hit 20+ goals this season.

Who was it that said he was on par with hazard

SUG. Guy ain't serious.
Original post by jam277
SUG. Guy ain't serious.

Think the guy was very serious
Original post by AR_95
Think the guy was very serious

Sterlings is as good as Hazard. I loled at that hard.
Original post by jam277
He's still a good player but was completely overhyped last season when the success was clearly down to two players. Gerrard, Henderson and Sterling get hyped up by the media along with SAS because they're nationalist and want the England players to look good, same with every average English player for the past 2 decades.

Fixed that for you. I remember Cleverley being compared to Fabregas ffs.
Original post by samir12
Its funny because Liverpool and Ludo were gifting each other goals over the two games, for Ludo its fine but for Liverpool it's a disgrace. I feel Liverpool did enough to win the game as Ludo didn't look like scoring in the second half up until Liverpool decided to sit back and invite pressure that inevitably lead to the goal. Liverpool weren't even that bad tbh, if Sterling scored his goal than no one would be complaining.

Well I know that stats aren't everything and final result is all that matters but if you look at the stats for yesterday's game, it show that Liverpool didn't really do much all game. They should have tried harder to score a 3rd in my opinion. Obviously with the score in Basel, its somewhat makes sense to reduce risk as a draw is almost as a good as win in this scenario but given the opponent, I think its just silly.Liverpool does look dangerous when the game goes their way but it hardly ever does this season.
There is obviously the pressure of expectation when playing against weaker teams and I guess what makes Ludogorets slightly different is that the team plays well together rather than individual talent. Having watched many of their games, sometimes the passing is pretty much amazing but very often there are stupid mistakes which makes their game very inconsistent and leads to goal gifts.

It is nearing Christmas after all, maybe they are in a good spirits... :biggrin:
Sterling is obviously not reaching the heights of last season, but his ball to Henderson last night was a reminder of what he can do.

He IS still young - and nowhere near the heights people were spouting about him earlier this summer - but he needs to be kept from fatigue. Walcott is so injury prone, and we can't afford Sterling to become that. He's still so young and he's a vital player for us - too vital, I'd suggest. He plays every single game for us and it'll be his undoing.

Quick Reply

Latest