The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
If we lose, we're likely to end up in the Europa League and we're more likely to progress further there which would hinder our top 4 attempt.

I think we'd make more money by competing in the R16 than if we play 2-3 extra rounds of the EL.

I'm happy to get through the group, play the R16 and get knocked out and then focus on finshing top 4..

I see. So does that mean, if things didn't go your way and you ended up 3rd, you'd rather you didn't progress in the Europa League?

Tbf now the winner gets a CL place, it's a pretty good incentive.
Original post by hayles101
I see. So does that mean, if things didn't go your way and you ended up 3rd, you'd rather you didn't progress in the Europa League?

Tbf now the winner gets a CL place, it's a pretty good incentive.

No I think once you're in the EL, you have to try and win it now (like you say, CL spot on offer). We don't really have enough depth for it though I reckon. You have to get through 9 more games (4x two legged and 1 final) which is pretty tough on any side imo.

We're not that far off Arsenal and Man Utd so far, neither of whom look that convincing (though we don't either) so you kind of feel that 4th might not be that high a total? More towards 70 rather than 79 like last season.
Original post by Zerforax
No I think once you're in the EL, you have to try and win it now (like you say, CL spot on offer). We don't really have enough depth for it though I reckon. You have to get through 9 more games (4x two legged and 1 final) which is pretty tough on any side imo.

We're not that far off Arsenal and Man Utd so far, neither of whom look that convincing (though we don't either) so you kind of feel that 4th might not be that high a total? More towards 70 rather than 79 like last season.

I think that depends hugely on this next 8 days. If we win tomorrow night, then beat you at OT, the points difference would be 10 pts and you'd have to think it's likely your fighting with Arsenal and co for the last spot.

That said, football is unpredictable. And if we were to lose these next two games, then we could be within a point with all to play for.

We are also getting a lot of players back after a nightmare few months. You have Strurridge to come back, interesting to see how much of an impact that has, you'd expect an improvement yes, but will it be slight or will the difference be that of 3 pts rather than 1pt regularly for example, who knows.

Currently, at this very moment, the whole top 4, title thing is on a knife edge, will we win tomorrow, what will the result be next weekend, will Arsenal pick themselves up quickly, will Aguero be our for 3-4 months+, and is the Chelsea squad really is good as they think. One more bad result for them and suddenly they are looking unbelievably vulnerable.

By the start of January, after the heavy Christmas fixture list is over, I think we'll get a decent indication of where things are going. I suppose the window will also have an effect to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by hayles101
I think that depends hugely on this next 8 days. If we win tomorrow night, then beat you at OT, the points difference would be 10 pts and you'd have to think it's likely your fighting with Arsenal and co for the last spot.

That said, football is unpredictable. And if we were to lose these next two games, then we could be within a point with all to play for.

We are also getting a lot of players back after a nightmare few months. You have Strurridge to come back, interesting to see how much of an impact that has, you'd expect an improvement yes, but will it be slight or will the difference be that of 3 pts rather than 1pt regularly for example, who knows.

Currently, at this very moment, the whole top 4, title thing is on a knife edge, will we win tomorrow, what will the result be next weekend, will Arsenal pick themselves up quickly, will Aguero be our for 3-4 months+, and is the Chelsea squad really is good as they think. One more bad result for them and suddenly they are looking unbelievably vulnerable.

By the start of January, after the heavy Christmas fixture list is over, I think we'll get a decent indication of where things are going. I suppose the window will also have an effect to.

Yea I'd agree. I mean if we lose to Man Utd and Arsenal then byebye top 4 and let's see if we can even finish top 7 :facepalm: Not winning yesterday was a bit of a kick in the teeth too.

I'm still not overly impressed with the Man Utd squad if I be honest. Still better than the Liverpool's I guess.

Chelsea and Man City will comfortably finish 1st and 2nd.

I don't think Chelsea or Man City will spend in January (or not significantly) but I can see Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd throwing money to try and finish 3rd and 4th.

Yea after December everyone will have played each other once too so you get a good view of where people stand.
Andy Caroll in 5 appearances has scored just as many goals as Balotelli (with 14 appearances) this season...
Original post by samir12
Andy Caroll in 5 appearances has scored just as many goals as Balotelli (with 14 appearances) this season...

I haven't really seen much of Liverpool this season, (hence why I hardly even post on this thread nowadays). How does Ballotelli look when he plays for you guys though. Does he look like he's lacking motivation or has he generally just been sloppy?

If it's because of the former, then I think he's just not happy at Liverpool. He was pretty much an AC milan reject anyway so I couldn't imagine him to be?
Original post by AR_95
I haven't really seen much of Liverpool this season, (hence why I hardly even post on this thread nowadays). How does Ballotelli look when he plays for you guys though. Does he look like he's lacking motivation or has he generally just been sloppy?

If it's because of the former, then I think he's just not happy at Liverpool. He was pretty much an AC milan reject anyway so I couldn't imagine him to be?

It just doesn't fit in at all tbh, he does try but it's not good enough. He always expects the ball to be played to his feet, doesn't make many runs into the box and when he does he is always offside, doesn't hold up the ball well and play others in. Not really doing whats required of him, maybe it is a lack of confidence but Lambert when he is fresh has provided more contribution than Balotelli so far.

In his defence, he admitted himself he's not comfortable playing as a lone striker but Rodgers continued to do so, he looked better when playing with someone else up front with him but he didn't do himself any justice by missing sitters.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12

He's scored as many league goals this season as all your strikers combined.
Original post by sr90
He's scored as many league goals this season as all your strikers combined.

Pretty sure he has scored more league goals? Lambert has one league goal, Balo and Borini have none. Discounting Sturridge as he's been injured the whole time. Still depressing nonetheless...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Pretty sure he has scored more league goals? Lambert has one league goal, Balo and Borini have none.

Sturridge has 1 :tongue:
Original post by sr90
Sturridge has 1 :tongue:

Yh I edited my post that I discounted Sturridge as he's been injured the whole time :tongue:.

Sturridge returning will feel like a new signing, that's if he ever returns...
(edited 9 years ago)
Bring back big Andy I say.
Suarez with another assist for HH Messi. But barca's gameplay is boring.
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
Suarez with another assist for HH Messi. But barca's gameplay is boring.

Watching Barcelona is very, very tedious.
Original post by Mackay
Watching Barcelona is very, very tedious.

Ahhh I'm relived. He is subbed off!

From what I saw the team is very much reliant on Messi magic and the coach sucks lol
Original post by ShotsFired-9941
Ahhh I'm relived. He is subbed off!

From what I saw the team is very much reliant on Messi magic and the coach sucks lol

Replace Barca with Arsenal and Messi with Sanchez. :colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
“I felt this (Balotelli) was a risk we needed to take and as a group we couldn’t afford not to at the time.
“It was obviously late on and we need to have someone in.
“It’s something that we can’t regret.
“I made it clear at the beginning it was a calculated one and that is why he probably cost the money that he did.”

Rodgers you ****ing idiot
Rodgers in, give him time, Markovic will come good, Balotelli will score goals soon enough, Lallana is sick, Moreno needs to be used as a LW and get rid of Johnson

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A level sufferer
Rodgers in, give him time, Markovic will come good, Balotelli will score goals soon enough, Lallana is sick, Moreno needs to be used as a LW and get rid of Johnson

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I had your optimism.
Johnson obviously offers something Rodgers wants since he's been playing ahead of Moreno/Manquillo

Quick Reply

Latest