The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Gerrard... :cry:
Original post by sr90

On this evidence, would you rule them out of finishing 3rd? I sure wouldn't. After they've played us next week, their fixtures are very kind to them. They've got to go to the Bridge and the Emptyhad on the last day, but other than that most of their 'tough' games are at home. I'd love to see them do it. They've still got Jay Rodriguez to come back and they'll surely sign 1 or 2 players in the window.

I don't think they'll finish 3rd. United I think have the players capable of going on a big run if they stay fit and will be able to consolidate 3rd place.

Personally table will be

1st. Chelsea(90 points)
2nd. City (85 points)
3rd. United (78 points)
4th-7th. Soton/Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs
(65-75 points) can't call the order, Liverpool lose any more ground then they're not coming 4th though and will focus on europa league so could yet see them in the CL again next season via that avenue.

Doubt Everton will be anything above top half if that and will focus on europa league from now on in too.

I'm anticipating us to beat City at Stamford Bridge as they won't have Toure for that match but if they beat us then City come first. Essentially the H2H's will be the title decider this year.
Original post by samba
Top 2 is certain. Only question is whether it's City or Chelsea as champions.

Man Utd almost certain to take 3rd. Won't do better or worse. Somebody like Depay could improve us, but still not to a city/chelsea level. Could slip to 4th, won't make 2nd.

4th is one of Arsenal/Soton/Tottenham for me. Liverpool could do it with the right signings perhaps, but I can't see it.

My predictions after week 19 are above.

Liverpool have to make a signing this window for it to happen but I just think they're already focusing on europa.

Don't think any realistic signing can gravitate you over 3rd place this window. But you'll be in touching distance of the league next season though but won't have enough to win it. City and Chelsea are still a bit too strong and Chelsea's players are young and will continue improving, City are at their peak though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8042
Original post by Mackay
Above Spurs if we hold on and they lose to Chelsea.

:biggrin:
Original post by sr90
Would be funny if he ended up at Chelsea, 10 years after the infamous transfer request.

Can't help but wonder if it's his decision to move on or if he's being pushed out by the manager.

Probably him and Brendan looked at each other in the dressing room after today's match, gave each other that nod of acceptance and realised it was time.

Original post by CB91
Yeah he's finished but with any breaking news unless its on BBC or SS it could just be nonsense from 'ITKs' or 'sources'.

For the squad to push on it could be a good thing for him to leave tbh. Does make you wonder who the captain would be though, Henderson? Toure? (:awesome:)

I like to think this video is a very accurate description of training at Liverpool. So Henderson should flourish with his new responsibilities.

On a serious note, Henderson is probably the man who'll get the armband, no one else you can really give it to. Lucas? Squirtle?
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Probably him and Brendan looked at each other in the dressing room after today's match, gave each other that nod of acceptance and realised it was time.

I like to think this video is a very accurate description of training at Liverpool. So Henderson should flourish with his new responsibilities.

On a serious note, Henderson is probably the man who'll get the armband, no one else you can really give it to. Lucas? Squirtle?

Could give it to Mignolet. :coma:

Henderson is vice captain and been captain this season when Gerrard wasn't playing so it might be him next season.

Henderson is their only captaincy option really, it's a bit like us only having Rooney (and Fletcher, who'd be perfect if he was still a regular).

Is it too early to start the ''Gerrard 0'' jokes yet?
Thanks for everything, Steven Gerrard. End of an era!

The man has given us everything for the majority of his career. One slip aside, his legacy is untarnished and he remains one of the finest midfielders in PL history. I've always thought he was a superior player to Lampard, not just because I'm an LFC fan, but because the man just brings so much more than goals to his game. His leadership, ability to make other players perform above themselves, inspirational qualities as well as his on-pitch technical ability was such a sight to behold.

For a period (between 2005 and 2007), he was simply the best midfielder in the world. All the superlatives were said of him. Zidane rated him higher than anybody else, and he was the most complete footballer at that time. His CL exploits will always define him, and perhaps rightly so, because we've simply never been good enough to win the league during his time. It's a shame, because I know it's always what he's most wanted and sought after, but his legacy can't be tarnished simply because he's never won the PL.

He was the best player to ever wear a Liverpool shirt, and I'm thankful to have been alive to see him in his pomp.
His last game for Liverpool will be extremely emotional, I bet I'll end up crying at the final whistle.

He is arguably Liverpool's greatest player, he could have jumped ship ten years ago to Chelsea and won a few PL trophies but he stayed and created a fantastic legacy. He was the reason why I started supporting Liverpool and I've been fortunate to watch him play for us. I wish him well for wherever he plays next and I hope one day he comes back to work as a coach for us.

We'll probably never see a player like Gerrard play for Liverpool in our lifetime. :moon:
Original post by The.Joker

We'll probably never see a player like Gerrard play for Liverpool in our lifetime. :moon:

Definitely. Truly the end of an era.
Original post by Mackay
Definitely. Truly the end of an era.

Our next thread has to be dedicated to Gerrard.

Looks like I'll be watching tons of Gerrard videos on YouTube now. I hope he writes another autobiography about his last few years at Liverpool, it'll be really interesting reading about the Hodgson era and coming so close to winning the prem.

This season must be killing him, having come so close last year to winning the league and then falling at the final hurdle must give him nightmares. Not to mention crashing out of the CL this season and performances being so crap. Urgh ffs, if only he won the league last season. Fate can be a cruel mistress...
Reply 8051
Henderson is most likely to be made captain, but if Sakho and Lallana can maintain recent form and nail down a starting position, then both will be in contention considering they were both captains of their previous club.
Our next thread has to be dedicated to Gerrard.

Looks like I'll be watching tons of Gerrard videos on YouTube now. I hope he writes another autobiography about his last few years at Liverpool, it'll be really interesting reading about the Hodgson era and coming so close to winning the prem.

This season must be killing him, having come so close last year to winning the league and then falling at the final hurdle must give him nightmares. Not to mention crashing out of the CL this season and performances being so crap. Urgh ffs, if only he won the league last season. Fate can be a cruel mistress...

Read his autobiography again quite recently actually. He definitely needs to do a new edition/instalment. Hodgson era, Dalglish era, Suarez, the end of Hicks/Gillett, the start of FSG etc.
The one player that deserves to win the PL. Will be weird not seeing Gerrard at Liverpool
The pitch at Anfield is dreadful this year.
Original post by Mackay
Read his autobiography again quite recently actually. He definitely needs to do a new edition/instalment. Hodgson era, Dalglish era, Suarez, the end of Hicks/Gillett, the start of FSG etc.

I'm sure he will write another one within the next few years. At least I hope he does, I'll preorder it ASAP. I brought Carra's autobiography ages ago but I haven't read it yet, it's meant to be a really good read as well.

I think Hendo will be able to flourish now and he'd be a good captain as well. Since he won't have to babysit Gerrard in midfield next season and hopefully he isn't shunted onto the wings either, he should go from strength to strength and keep improving.
I'm sure he will write another one within the next few years. At least I hope he does, I'll preorder it ASAP. I brought Carra's autobiography ages ago but I haven't read it yet, it's meant to be a really good read as well.

I think Hendo will be able to flourish now and he'd be a good captain as well. Since he won't have to babysit Gerrard in midfield next season and hopefully he isn't shunted onto the wings either, he should go from strength to strength and keep improving.

Agreed. It isn't good for Henderson's development to be playing with Stevie anymore. It's a shame, but sadly inevitable.
Reply 8057
End of last season was so, so bitter. The whole 'don't let it slip' thing vs City and then what happened vs Chelsea.. it's almost like one of Shakespeare's tragedies ffs.

From being on the verge of winning a league title and complete euphoria, it's come to this. It's ended Gerrard really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow just heard the news on MoTD!

Bit of a shame that he won't finish a one man club but he's still got another 2-4 years at somewhere like the MLS.
He'll always be remembered for the slip, Scholes will be remembered to me for his goal against Barça and Lampard will be remembered for.... This point is unfinished.

Thanks Gerrard. Great player but I enjoyed your slip immensely. Feel free to stop by my way if you wanna go ice-skating. I need some ice to fall on though.

Quick Reply

Latest