The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

I have a feeling Manquillo will stay at Atlético though. If he does well for you guys as Gamez and Juanfran are getting on so they'll want a long term replacement.
The attacking flaws in Manquillo's game are evident, but they are put in the shade by the way he conducts himself defensively. No fuss, no drama - sensible, sound defending. He'd be lauded if he were playing for us ten years ago imo.

He's great at stopping the cross, too. Johnson rarely blocks an attack and that means our centre-backs are automatically on the ropes (and we all know how much of a circus they can be at times).

Sure, he isn't great in an offensive position but he won that penalty against Ludogorets through determination and positivity, and in a defence where the other three have question marks over them defensively, it's quite refreshing to see a full-back who's made no errors leading to goals thus far this campaign.

He's a bit like Steve Finnan in a way - and I bloody love me a Steve Finnan.
I really don't understand Ian Ayre's and Brendon's lack of movement in the transfer market, with it being half way through January already. We have arguably the two worst goalkeepers in the league, one of whom is injured, with Rodgers having no faith in the other one. Surely there is a goalkeeper out there to be signed, even if it is only until the end of the season?

Rodgers still pinning his hopes on Sturridge coming back and being fit for the rest of the season also strikes me as crazy. Balotelli was a gamble that didn't pay off, Lambert although only a squad player has been awful and Rodgers already tried to sell Borini in the summer. Sterling is playing well but doesn't have the finishing required yet to be a striker at the level we should be aiming for. Iv'e heard rumours we want to bring Origi back from his loan early but again, is he really going to be our saviour? Again, surely someone like lavezzi is worth a punt for £8m?

This is before even mentioning the state of the defence and centre midfield.
Original post by Mackay
The attacking flaws in Manquillo's game are evident, but they are put in the shade by the way he conducts himself defensively. No fuss, no drama - sensible, sound defending. He'd be lauded if he were playing for us ten years ago imo.

He's great at stopping the cross, too. Johnson rarely blocks an attack and that means our centre-backs are automatically on the ropes (and we all know how much of a circus they can be at times).

Sure, he isn't great in an offensive position but he won that penalty against Ludogorets through determination and positivity, and in a defence where the other three have question marks over them defensively, it's quite refreshing to see a full-back who's made no errors leading to goals thus far this campaign.

He's a bit like Steve Finnan in a way - and I bloody love me a Steve Finnan.

couldn't agree more.
he just does his job to the best of his ability; he's consistent that way, even if his general level of quality isn#'t as high as some others.
stopping the cross is essential for us too, especially since our CBs panic and mignolet is hilarious when the ball goes in the air...

he isn't THAT bad attacking wise though; he knows how to get forward and overlap, and his crossing is improving.
he might not be able to take on a man that well but importantly he actually tracks back.
moreno is very attacking, so manquillo maybe not being as much of a forward player isn't a terrible deal.

and that's the main thing - errors leading to goals.
it's depressing how many errors we have; the united game was probably the most painful way to see it.
Original post by xHitmanx
I really don't understand Ian Ayre's and Brendon's lack of movement in the transfer market, with it being half way through January already. We have arguably the two worst goalkeepers in the league, one of whom is injured, with Rodgers having no faith in the other one. Surely there is a goalkeeper out there to be signed, even if it is only until the end of the season?

Rodgers still pinning his hopes on Sturridge coming back and being fit for the rest of the season also strikes me as crazy. Balotelli was a gamble that didn't pay off, Lambert although only a squad player has been awful and Rodgers already tried to sell Borini in the summer. Sterling is playing well but doesn't have the finishing required yet to be a striker at the level we should be aiming for. Iv'e heard rumours we want to bring Origi back from his loan early but again, is he really going to be our saviour? Again, surely someone like lavezzi is worth a punt for £8m?

This is before even mentioning the state of the defence and centre midfield.

Can you think of any goalkeepers who are available? We should've tried to sign Valdes but what can you do now. Otherwise it's stupid to overpay for a GK now when we'll have to give like a 4 year contract.

Perhaps we could offer a 6 month loan to Barcelona for ter Stegen?

Lavezzi isn't a like for like replacement for Sturridge either. And he lacks clinical finishing. I'd be pleased with Lavezzi too but as he'd be an extra option rather than the player who gets us top4/win EL.
Original post by Zerforax
Can you think of any goalkeepers who are available? We should've tried to sign Valdes but what can you do now. Otherwise it's stupid to overpay for a GK now when we'll have to give like a 4 year contract.

Perhaps we could offer a 6 month loan to Barcelona for ter Stegen?

Lavezzi isn't a like for like replacement for Sturridge either. And he lacks clinical finishing. I'd be pleased with Lavezzi too but as he'd be an extra option rather than the player who gets us top4/win EL.

pretty sure we've been linked with neto for like 2m or something.
keepers don't really cost all that much bnut they're absolutely essential to a team.
ter stegen from barca would be a nice option but i admit that's pretty unrealistic, even if he is a little out of favour.

honestly i just want us to do something.
i know we're only halfway through the month but we're so quiet, almost feels like we've given up :/

P.S: lmao, i didn't see your edit and i already wrote about ter stegen - that was pretty freaky.
great minds think alike innit :wink:
Original post by Lúcio
pretty sure we've been linked with neto for like 2m or something.
keepers don't really cost all that much bnut they're absolutely essential to a team.
ter stegen from barca would be a nice option but i admit that's pretty unrealistic, even if he is a little out of favour.

honestly i just want us to do something.
i know we're only halfway through the month but we're so quiet, almost feels like we've given up :/

P.S: lmao, i didn't see your edit and i already wrote about ter stegen - that was pretty freaky.
great minds think alike innit :wink:

We'll have more choice of GKs in the summer. What team will let their first choice GK go now when they themselves can't get a replacement? Well we wasted 9mil on Mignolet which was quite a lot of money..

I'm sure the team are working hard behind the scenes. Don't think the club let too much leak these days compared to 5-7 years ago.
We'll have more choice of GKs in the summer. What team will let their first choice GK go now when they themselves can't get a replacement? Well we wasted 9mil on Mignolet which was quite a lot of money..

I'm sure the team are working hard behind the scenes. Don't think the club let too much leak these days compared to 5-7 years ago.

definitely; we;ll pick up a decent keeper in the summer although it's too much of a concern not to do something this month.
a loan move like you said would be a good option.

i'm still pissed about valdes - there's no way he would've gone to united over us if we had offered him.
i assume that means we thought his wage demands were too high or we were looking for a young keeper.

true, it's better to keep things quiet since people always hijack our moves, but it makes fans nervous because we have absolutely no clue what's going on.
i'll remain optimistic until the window closes but if we don't sign a keeper and a striker (even temporarily), it's gonna be a tough end to the season.
Original post by Lúcio

moreno is very attacking, so manquillo maybe not being as much of a forward player isn't a terrible deal.

This is the thing, isn't it? It's a great balance to have - they compliment each other well.
Original post by Mackay
This is the thing, isn't it? It's a great balance to have - they compliment each other well.

Tbh I think you have to look at how the players in front of them play. Most of our attacking players cut inside and go towards goal which is why Johnson is great since he can either go to the byeline or cut inside. Manquillo just hugs the sides about 20 yards deeper than Johnson starts and doesn't often get much further.
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178280-suso-completes-a-switch-to-ac-milan

Suso move to AC Milan confirmed.

AC Milan must have paid us a nominal fee to take him 6 months early and before his contract expired? Or maybe we just wanted his wages off the bill since he's not getting any game time.
http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/178280-suso-completes-a-switch-to-ac-milan

Suso move to AC Milan confirmed.

AC Milan must have paid us a nominal fee to take him 6 months early and before his contract expired? Or maybe we just wanted his wages off the bill since he's not getting any game time.

Smart sense for all involved, really. Hopefully our paths cross a few years down the line.
Original post by Mackay
Smart sense for all involved, really. Hopefully our paths cross a few years down the line.

Tbh I'm not that fussed. He had a lot of hype but he never broke through under any manager whereas we've seen other youngsters progress.
I feel really confident about today, I expect a win and a clean sheet. Aston Villa have been in such poor form of late and I just can't see us dropping any points today considering we have been playing pretty well recently.
Original post by The.Joker
I feel really confident about today, I expect a win and a clean sheet. Aston Villa have been in such poor form of late and I just can't see us dropping any points today considering we have been playing pretty well recently.

I disagree. I think this will be a really tough game for you guys. Villa are under massive pressure and if they lose this one at home expect scenes. Whether you win or not I'm sure it won't be plain sailing. Yes they're in poor form going into the match but surely that would give them added incentive to push for a result ? Their lack of goals is incredibly concerning though. Should be a good match :smile:
Reply 8915
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I disagree. I think this will be a really tough game for you guys. Villa are under massive pressure and if they lose this one at home expect scenes. Whether you win or not I'm sure it won't be plain sailing. Yes they're in poor form going into the match but surely that would give them added incentive to push for a result in this match? Their lack of goals is incredibly concerning though. Should be a good match :smile:

Let um be confident LP. It makes a potential loss more sweeter :wink:
Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Markovic, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Borini

Subs: Ward, Enrique, Lambert, Manquillo, Lallana, Ibe, Williams
Original post by SA-1
Let um be confident LP. It makes a potential loss more sweeter :wink:

Haha I see :tongue:

I just don't see how you can be confident away to Villa park regardless of form...anyway for all we know it could be a breeze for them.
Original post by mr tim
Mignolet, Can, Skrtel, Sakho, Markovic, Moreno, Lucas, Henderson, Sterling, Coutinho, Borini

I think this team will look even better with a mobile Sterling over Gerrard.

Anyone seen the confirmed Villa line up?
Original post by mr tim

That bench is terrible.

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
I disagree. I think this will be a really tough game for you guys. Villa are under massive pressure and if they lose this one at home expect scenes. Whether you win or not I'm sure it won't be plain sailing. Yes they're in poor form going into the match but surely that would give them added incentive to push for a result ? Their lack of goals is incredibly concerning though. Should be a good match :smile:

Our pace and creativity will be too much to handle for AV, I don't see how they can keep Markovic, Sterling and Coutinho quiet for 90mins. As long as we ramp up the pace of the game and keep control of the ball, we'll be making plenty of chances whether or not we can take any chances remains to be seen. Although, if AV frustrate us by slowing the game down and by stopping us retaining the ball then the game will be a bit more difficult. I'm still optimistic about today though. :smile:

How are you feeling about City v Arsenal?

Quick Reply

Latest