The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9100
After we spent quite a bit in the summer, I didn't expect us to make any signings this window. I dunno why people are acting so surprised. Maybe a cheap keeper at best. FFP n **** people.

Agreed with Mackay, Origi seems to be playing no better than our current crop of strikers, there is absolutely no benefit in bringing him in now.
Let's not forget that Origi is only 19 too. Same as age Ibe who's been at Liverpool longer and played in England too. You can see the logic in recalling one but not both. Ibe worked out cheaper and would probably have gotten lesser quality football at Derby over Lille?

FFP needs to be changed so that every club can spend up to the same as the revenues that the top club makes. It would stop the Chelsea/Man City scenario but it would still mean that a small club could make it into mid-sized or challenge for top 4. The owners would also need to put the money in as equity and not debt too - this would stop clubs going bankrupt.
Original post by Zerforax

FFP needs to be changed so that every club can spend up to the same as the revenues that the top club makes. It would stop the Chelsea/Man City scenario but it would still mean that a small club could make it into mid-sized or challenge for top 4. The owners would also need to put the money in as equity and not debt too - this would stop clubs going bankrupt.

FFP is a joke.

Biggest question mark which came from it for me was when Abramovich backed it. It's a way of keeping the status quo so clubs can't compete above their UEFA-designated station.
Original post by Mackay
FFP is a joke.

Biggest question mark which came from it for me was when Abramovich backed it. It's a way of keeping the status quo so clubs can't compete above their UEFA-designated station.

Well I think RA quickly realised that Chelsea's revenues are the 3rd biggest in England and therefore they can remain competitive without others getting a sugar daddy boost to challenge. Bet he wasn't happy when Man City came along..

I can see the logic further down since so many clubs around the Championship have gone bust/administration but it could have been worked better imo.
Well I think RA quickly realised that Chelsea's revenues are the 3rd biggest in England and therefore they can remain competitive without others getting a sugar daddy boost to challenge. Bet he wasn't happy when Man City came along..

Well, this is the thing, isn't it?

Mourinho's money jibes at Manchester City hint at a paranoia down there anyway. They certainly aren't happy at all.
Original post by Mackay
Well, this is the thing, isn't it?

Mourinho's money jibes at Manchester City hint at a paranoia down there anyway. They certainly aren't happy at all.

In fairness Man City are a little dodgy with their sponsorships although PSG are probably the worst culprits.

Ah well at least we've got more football tonight.

We should get some insight into what Rodgers thinks of the squad/certain players with the line-up.
In fairness Man City are a little dodgy with their sponsorships although PSG are probably the worst culprits.

Ah well at least we've got more football tonight.

We should get some insight into what Rodgers thinks of the squad/certain players with the line-up.

Looking forward to it giving us some hints as to what the lineup for Bolton this weekend will be.

In other news, Suarez has been caught on Spanish TV telling Gimenez that his "mother is a whore" during their match.
Gerrard green-lighted to play Chelsea, incidentally.
Original post by Mackay
Looking forward to it giving us some hints as to what the lineup for Bolton this weekend will be.

In other news, Suarez has been caught on Spanish TV telling Gimenez that his "mother is a whore" during their match.

Original post by Mackay
Gerrard green-lighted to play Chelsea, incidentally.

He's not our player anymore so he can call whoever's mother a whore or bite them for all I care now.

Rather Gerrard was rested and then played against Bolton so I could see him live one last time :colondollar:

I imagine we'll see Ibe, Allen, Johnson, Enrique, Balotelli, Lovren, Lallana etc all play against Bolton - those who need minutes either having come back from injury or just haven't played so much this season. No doubt we'll see a very similar line-up for the two Chelsea games.
He's not our player anymore so he can call whoever's mother a whore or bite them for all I care now.

Rather Gerrard was rested and then played against Bolton so I could see him live one last time :colondollar:

I imagine we'll see Ibe, Allen, Johnson, Enrique, Balotelli, Lovren, Lallana etc all play against Bolton - those who need minutes either having come back from injury or just haven't played so much this season. No doubt we'll see a very similar line-up for the two Chelsea games.

He's also cup tied for that I'm afraid.

Ibe's cup-tied, of course, but I'd expect to see Kolo Toure and the ones you mention, yes.
Reply 9111
Original post by Mackay
Ibe's cup-tied, of course, but I'd expect to see Kolo Toure and the ones you mention, yes.

Kolo has taken a leaf out of Raheem's book and ditched us for some hot weather. ****ing badass.
We turned down a loan bid for Balotelli from Parma, apparently.
Original post by Mackay

Kolo is at ACON

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9114
Let's not forget that Origi is only 19 too. Same as age Ibe who's been at Liverpool longer and played in England too. You can see the logic in recalling one but not both. Ibe worked out cheaper and would probably have gotten lesser quality football at Derby over Lille?

Ibe is way too raw IMO, he's got good potential but I dont see him making an instant impact if he was to be called. Also, isn't he more if a wing forward?

I see what you mean about FFP but one of the main points of it is that the club shouldn't make a loss of.. Can't remember the exact figure.. Over three years. If you give teams making less revenues the freedom to spend similar to a richer then the loss would go up way too much. (If that's what you meant to suggest)
Original post by samir12
He's also cup tied for that I'm afraid.

Bah would've been a perfect game for him. Maybe we'll see another youngster?

Original post by Mackay
We turned down a loan bid for Balotelli from Parma, apparently.

Not surprised. What value is there in sending him on loan now? Italians never buy after taking on loan either so they can **** off.
Original post by SA-1
Ibe is way too raw IMO, he's got good potential but I dont see him making an instant impact if he was to be called. Also, isn't he more if a wing forward?

I see what you mean about FFP but one of the main points of it is that the club shouldn't make a loss of.. Can't remember the exact figure.. Over three years. If you give teams making less revenues the freedom to spend similar to a richer then the loss would go up way too much. (If that's what you meant to suggest)

well there were good reports from Derby fans. Let's not forget how raw Sterling was and how he's come on. Ibe is better physically imo (though Sterling is no slouch) so he might be able to adapt. I don't think he's come back for instant impact but as squad depth with potential to make a claim for next season. If he fails to impress, he'll go out on loan in the summer.

Those are transition provisions, eventually you will only be able to spend what the club makes in revenues.

I'm suggesting that whatever Man Utd are able to spend (due to their revenues), should be the limit for every club in the premier league on the provisio that if a club is going to spend more than their own revenues, then the club owners need to give the money to the club as a equity gift (and not a loan). Presumably some sort of guarantee to cover wages/losses for another 3 years in case clubs just spend too much on wages.

The FFP stop any sort of genuine owner from injecting money into the game - which is not what FFP should be about.
Am I correct in thinking the primary aim for FFP is to stop clubs from going bankrupt if the owner decides to **** off leaving the club in huge amounts of debt (debt incurred from the owners injecting loads of cash to the club a la Chelsea, City etc.)?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by samir12
Am I correct in thinking the primary aim for FFP is to stop clubs from going bankrupt if the owner decides to **** off leaving the club in huge amounts of debt?

The idea of FFP is sold as to stop mismanagement of clubs. If you're spending way too much on transfer fees, wages and other club costs then either a wealthy owner needs to bankroll or you will go bankrupt (or you will go bankrupt when the owner leaves/pulls the plug).

The biggest clubs in Europe like FFP because it maintains the status quo. Man Utd make 440mil a year in revenues. Wigan make less than 60mil. This means Wigan will never be able to catch Man Utd. Man Utd can spend more therefore it's more likely they can buy and retain the best players and remain at the top of the game. That then leads to making more money.
Bah would've been a perfect game for him. Maybe we'll see another youngster?

Not surprised. What value is there in sending him on loan now? Italians never buy after taking on loan either so they can **** off.

Wouldn't mind seeing Rossiter or Williams personally.

And, yeah, when he leaves it has to be permanent imo.

Quick Reply

Latest