The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

They could have got Menez in the summer though who used to play for PSG.
wrt Real and Bayern Liverpools best hopes are securing a loan for Illaramendi or Jese as they are at the age where they need first team football. Rode I'm not sure whether he'll get games if everybody stays fit in midfield so that's a potential. Jese would solve their problem of a lack of a creative versatile forward that can work with Sturridge.

Barca they aren't getting anybody of note unless they make CL this season.

They can try for Lacazette/Aubameyang/Vela. who you can see are capable of instantly improving the team, not unattainable and are versatile forwards that are capable of working in tandem with Sturridge or by themselves. Matter of fact is that there is a clear lack of quality in the lower parts of this league, while in spain and to an extent Germany you will have plenty of technical players from the lower midtable part of the league.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah Rodgers blew the transfer budget but Ings is probably going to be on the cheap with his contract expiring. I have the most likely feeling that Origi will be a flop for you lot, struggling to get games.
Not sure the point in getting Ings when we have Origi as a youngster coming in the summer.

Yes he'd be cheap but will he get any game time once here? Kinda feels like an Aspas type signing. Having said that, I haven't watched Ings play so what do I know.
Also Lambert needs replacing.
Original post by jam277
Also Lambert needs replacing.

I wouldn't be that fussed with him staying as our 4th choice "alternate" option off the bench. He's a smart experienced player who's probably willing to sit on the bench to remain at his dream club.

Sturridge, [plx not Ings], Origi, Lambert

If we get a strong striker in, it looks like a good mix.
Original post by Zerforax
I wouldn't be that fussed with him staying as our 4th choice "alternate" option off the bench. He's a smart experienced player who's probably willing to sit on the bench to remain at his dream club.

Sturridge, [plx not Ings], Origi, Lambert

If we get a strong striker in, it looks like a good mix.

Origi is pretty average at best. Guy wasn't really that great in the world cup just hyped because the belgium attack was ridiculously poor.
May as well recall Aspas from loan if we're thinking of going for Ings.
I honestly can't believe we want Ings, does BR really want him or FSG?
Original post by The.Joker
I honestly can't believe we want Ings, does BR really want him or FSG?

Nothing new here you guys always sign flavour of the month players.
The whole ****ing point of signing Ings now is so that we have a serviceable striker RIGHT NOW

Not so that we ****ing loan him back and are stuck relying on Sturridge's injury record for the next 6 months

Want to tear my ****ing hair out

Ings is a decent player. Knows where the goal is and is only going to get better. He's more of a third/fourth choice than a second choice though, for a club like us. Lambert upgrade.
If Ings gets signed, you would imagine Lambert, Borini are definitely off.

And if Balotelli doesn't buck his ideas up, even with Sturridge back, he'll be off too leaving a hole for an experienced quality second striker. That's what the hope would be anyway. Can't have another season without Sturridge with no quality backup in place. At the moment, I don't think Liverpool can afford a replacement to Balotelli due to his wages taking up a lot. If he was to go, Lacazette has to be targetted from what I've heard. Sturridge, Lacazette, Origi, Ings is a lot better than Sturridge, Balotelli, Lambert and Borini.

I guess the economics of the deal is that you could quite easily make 10-15m off this player in a few years time to a Sunderland-esque club. It's hardly much of a risk for a young player who was Championship player of the season. Paying the touted £3m isn't all too bad when you consider the re-sell value and the risk factor. It's not £35m like Andy Carroll and £20m on Downing.

However, it does reek of another failure based on previous dealings. I've only watched Ings once so can't say I know enough about him though to be honest.
(edited 9 years ago)
Btw off another forum;

'What I would say is that being English can go both ways. Not only can you be overrated but also underrated due to English nationality. For example take Harry Kane. 1 year younger then Ings. In a better team. And has only scored 1 more goal in the league then Ings. Not to mention Kane playing in a much more attacking and creative side. If I was to say to you Harry Kane for £3M then the majority would bite my hands off. For a variety of reasons, but one of the main ones being that more people would watch Spurs ahead of Burnley so therefore able to make up their own minds.'

Ings is a good player and a good investment both. He also fits in well with the homegrown quota rules
Buzzing for Ings' loan move to Palace next January.
The big selection dilemma tomorrow is between Johnson and Lovren for me.

With Sakho injured, you'd assume that Johnson would come in to the back three as a result of Lovren still being in the dog house and Johnson replacing him on Tuesday night (plus, he started against Bolton). While he's got the pace to deal with Sakho, I'm worried about his tendency to dawdle on the ball. Plus, Lovren is more suited and equipped to dealing with towering strikers like Carroll.
Bringing in Ings and Origi at the end of the season as 3rd/4th strikers isn't bad.
But that's only as long as we sell Balotelli, Lambert and Borini and bring in a quality partner to Sturridge.

If we don't do that, we're just praying that our back-up to Sturridge can play well with our team, and it could just turn in to another season like this.

Sell Balotelli for 10m, sell borini for 8-10m, sell Lambert for 2-3m.
That's at least 20m right there to go towards a new striker.
Ings is better than Borini, I'll give him that.
Original post by Mackay
The big selection dilemma tomorrow is between Johnson and Lovren for me.

With Sakho injured, you'd assume that Johnson would come in to the back three as a result of Lovren still being in the dog house and Johnson replacing him on Tuesday night (plus, he started against Bolton). While he's got the pace to deal with Sakho, I'm worried about his tendency to dawdle on the ball. Plus, Lovren is more suited and equipped to dealing with towering strikers like Carroll.

Would Johnson or Can play at LCB? Lovren is the natural replacement but if Rodgers has no faith do you go to a back 4 with Skrtel and Can? Even that seems dangerous..

So basically Downing/Carroll will go riot.
Would Johnson or Can play at LCB? Lovren is the natural replacement but if Rodgers has no faith do you go to a back 4 with Skrtel and Can? Even that seems dangerous..

Would be really surprised if we came out of tomorrow with three points if I'm honest.

it's gonna be tough without sakho.
he isn't perfect, but he's really good at dominating in the air and being just a general tough guy at the back.
bolton's experienced and bulky strike pair were completely owned by him so it's important he gets back for the replay.

but we often struggle against big attackers - carroll is gonna have a lot of fun against Skrtel and Can tomorrow.
personally i'd stick with the same system and bring in lovren at LCB for a straight swap.
we'll be vulnerable defensively but 3-4-3 works really well for us in an attacking sense.
if we can just hold on to possession and actually finish for once, we might surprise ourselves.

hopefully sturridge gets a good amount of playing time - with him at the top of our formation, we'll stand a much better chance even if it's his first game back after 5 months.
Line-up: Mignolet- Can, Skrtel, Sakho - Markovic, Henderson, Lucas, Moreno- Coutinho, Lallana, Sterling

From a reliable source

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest