Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking to take Economics A level and psychology if time allows. I need to study at home and don't want to pay a fortune but feel i would benefit by a plan in attacking the syllabus and someone to assess my short essays and exam technique. I self studied geography this year and think i would have gained a better grade if i had had help in these areas.

Looking to take the exams with Edexcel. The National Extension College does a distance learning course that may be suitable. Has anyone had experience with learning with this company?

Alternatively any tips on finding a good tutor preferably with experience teaching EDexcel economics and a good understanding of what is required to gain good grades in the exam. It seems to be a minefield in finding decent tutors.

ReputationRep:
    I use NEC for Philosophy & Ethics and there materials are outstanding, very thorough. Better than any A Level text book on the market. I've been self-teaching Edexcel Economics, for that the text books will suffice plus there are a number of econs tutors on youtube that cover the whole alevel syllabus. http://www.tutor2u.net/ is an invaluable source of information, plus loads more stuff on the economics forum here, quite a few do it alone.

ReputationRep:
    Kicking myself i missed your reply. I signed up with the NEC yesterday for economics after seeing that a number of people were saying the Edexcel economics textbook wasn't very good. Good to hear that you think their materials are outstanding though.

ReputationRep:
    what do you get for your £500 with NEC group as you still have to pay for the exams?

There are lot of these places about, if one of them could get an a level package with exams for £600-£800 they would probably make a killing. They would only need to hook up with Pearson.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you did the wrong thing by signing up with the NEC, but use the textbooks as well - they are not rubbish.

Simply download the syllabus, get the Hodder Revision Guide and the Alain Anderton book. That way you have it all covered. The NEC are definitely the best online college and, believe me, I spent enough time researching it. But I certainly wouldn't do the course without the book as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks MouseyBrown. Good to hear about the NEC. Yes i had already downloaded the syllabus and bought the Alain Anderton book, just need the revision guides. Hoping that the NEC materials will help as they provide exercises to test yourself on what you have learnt so far. The Alain Anderton book has excercises too but no sample answers to compare. The NEC also give assignments that get marked. Hopefully this will help me reach a better grade.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 30, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.