The Student Room Group

Need help making a difficult decision. Uni or career?

Hello everyone :smile:

Thanks in advance for reading my post, I imagine it could be quite a long one. :colondollar:

First a bit of background; I'm 19, I live in Swansea, just finished an Access to Humanities course at college. I intended to study History then for a PGCE, my insurance choice being Aberystwyth uni, my firm being Swansea. I knew I'd met the conditions of my offer from Aber like halfway through the year but after much consideration I decided I didn't want to move away. I didn't meet the conditions for Swansea, which I really wanted to go to so I pretty much gave up on the idea of going to uni.

After college finished I began looking for a full time job, and I've been offered a role in a HSBC contact centre, £16,200 annual salary plus bonuses. I was over the moon about this job offer as I worked really hard to get through the interview stages and I've been pretty much skint for the past three years. The job is kind of far away from home, I don't drive and I'm totally not up for catching two buses in the rain come wintertime. But the salary is great, there's room for advancement and it's a permanent position. After much background screening, (including a CRB & credit check) the job offer has been confirmed, anticipated to start on the 29th September.

Plot twist: Two days ago my place at Swansea was confirmed. This was an utter shock to me as I had not met the conditions of the offer. I should be absolutely ecstatic but now I have no idea what to do. I'm leaning towards the idea of asking Swansea to defer my place for a year so I can work, learn to drive and just have a bit of money for once. I don't know if Swansea would even defer my place anyway. It's such a tough decision. I don't want to turn down uni and accept this job, just to look back in a few years time regretting it. On the other hand, I may go to uni, find it's not for me and end up dropping out. I don't want to be poor for another three years, end up in more debt and possibly not even find a job, but I may really enjoy uni, finish and find a good job straight away. :s-smilie:It doesn't help that term starts on the 22nd September and the job starts 29th!!

There are so many if's and but's either way. My family have said try and defer a year to work, all my friend's say go to uni. I know ultimately it's my decision, but I am completely torn between the both of them and I cannot reach a decision on my own.

(Just realised I've posted this in History Personal Statements! Sorry! This is my first post:colondollar:)
So, faced with this decision... Would you go to uni or take the job?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by MissAshForrest

Thanks in advance for reading my post, I imagine it could be quite a long one. :colondollar:

First a bit of background; I'm 19, I live in Swansea, just finished an Access to Humanities course at college. I intended to study History then for a PGCE, my insurance choice being Aberystwyth uni, my firm being Swansea. I knew I'd met the conditions of my offer from Aber like halfway through the year but after much consideration I decided I didn't want to move away. I didn't meet the conditions for Swansea, which I really wanted to go to so I pretty much gave up on the idea of going to uni.

After college finished I began looking for a full time job, and I've been offered a role in a HSBC contact centre, £16,200 annual salary plus bonuses. I was over the moon about this job offer as I worked really hard to get through the interview stages and I've been pretty much skint for the past three years. The job is kind of far away from home, I don't drive and I'm totally not up for catching two buses in the rain come wintertime. But the salary is great, there's room for advancement and it's a permanent position. After much background screening, (including a CRB & credit check) the job offer has been confirmed, anticipated to start on the 29th September.

Plot twist: Two days ago my place at Swansea was confirmed. This was an utter shock to me as I had not met the conditions of the offer. I should be absolutely ecstatic but now I have no idea what to do. I'm leaning towards the idea of asking Swansea to defer my place for a year so I can work, learn to drive and just have a bit of money for once. I don't know if Swansea would even defer my place anyway. It's such a tough decision. I don't want to turn down uni and accept this job, just to look back in a few years time regretting it. On the other hand, I may go to uni, find it's not for me and end up dropping out. I don't want to be poor for another three years, end up in more debt and possibly not even find a job, but I may really enjoy uni, finish and find a good job straight away. :s-smilie:It doesn't help that term starts on the 22nd September and the job starts 29th!!

There are so many if's and but's either way. My family have said try and defer a year to work, all my friend's say go to uni. I know ultimately it's my decision, but I am completely torn between the both of them and I cannot reach a decision on my own.

(Just realised I've posted this in History Personal Statements! Sorry! This is my first post:colondollar:)

First of all, congrats on the job and the uni acceptance! Before you worry too much, you should get in touch with Swansea and see if deferring is at all possible. If so, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to wait a year. Being financially stable would be great! But it's up to you in the end! Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissAshForrest

Normally most universities accept deferral on applications - I would do that and see how you like the job. If your happy with it you can cancel the uni place, if not then go to uni.
I'm having a very similar dilemma, I missed the offer but I was still accepted, but me and my boyfriend were supposed to go there together. However, he didn't get the offer and is staying here. If I lived closer, then I would happily go alone, however, I live in Newcastle and have just got a new job. We've been together 2 years and I'm not sure how I feel moving 10 hours away on my own. I'm considering deferring my place for this year and carrying on at work. Any advice?
Original post by Coffeetime
First of all, congrats on the job and the uni acceptance! Before you worry too much, you should get in touch with Swansea and see if deferring is at all possible. If so, I don't think it would be a terrible idea to wait a year. Being financially stable would be great! But it's up to you in the end! Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I'm gonna email Swansea and ask if they can let me defer a year! I hope they say yes :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by jelly1000
Normally most universities accept deferral on applications - I would do that and see how you like the job. If your happy with it you can cancel the uni place, if not then go to uni.

Thanks for your reply :smile: I wasn't sure if they'd have a problem with deferring me as I didn't state it at the start of my UCAS application but I'll see what they say anyway!
Original post by lydkatherine
I'm having a very similar dilemma, I missed the offer but I was still accepted, but me and my boyfriend were supposed to go there together. However, he didn't get the offer and is staying here. If I lived closer, then I would happily go alone, however, I live in Newcastle and have just got a new job. We've been together 2 years and I'm not sure how I feel moving 10 hours away on my own. I'm considering deferring my place for this year and carrying on at work. Any advice?

Well done for getting your place and finding a job :smile: has your boyfriend looked into any clearing courses in Swansea? Also what is it he's interested in doing in uni? Swansea has a met university too, which offer a bunch of other courses. The met asks for much lower conditions, so if you both still want to move then that's something you could look into :smile: it could be difficult moving this far away and you would obviously miss your boyfriend, but it's what you make of it really. You'd be busy going out and making new friends it wouldn't be that bad!
Although, it is such a tricky situation and you must feel under a lot of pressure to 'make the right decision'. Personally, if I were in your position I'd defer a year, just to get a better idea of what you want. Your boyfriend could resit a year in order to get the grades he needed, and you could earn a bit of money working. In a years time things may be different for you and your boyfriend and you'll be better able to decide what the best option is :smile: good luck! :smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending