Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is uni right for what I want to achieve? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I desperately want to get into IT support and to get a degree in IT, out of my own pocket it will cost me 12.5k over 3years (wont go into reasons why as its a long story) I basically want to get a job that involves fixing/maintaining/supporting users with career progession on the cards. Now I've been thinking... do I really need to invest time and money into getting a job like this? will a degree be that beneficial? could I not take another route into the IT field? I'm more than happy to start at the very bottom and gain experience etc, I guess a big issue is that I dont have sufficient knowledge of computers and would need to learn alot. advice please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Waka Flocka)
    I desperately want to get into IT support and to get a degree in IT, out of my own pocket it will cost me 12.5k over 3years (wont go into reasons why as its a long story) I basically want to get a job that involves fixing/maintaining/supporting users with career progession on the cards. Now I've been thinking... do I really need to invest time and money into getting a job like this? will a degree be that beneficial? could I not take another route into the IT field? I'm more than happy to start at the very bottom and gain experience etc, I guess a big issue is that I dont have sufficient knowledge of computers and would need to learn alot. advice please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Have you thought about an apprenticeship?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This must be the seventh thread you've made on this.

Anyway, if you wish to get into IT then you should consider doing an apprenticeship, then attend university when your job requires it.

You can't be on here making the same thread, when you're doing this there's other people out there taking action. IT is competitive regardless of the job.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think an apprenticeship would be a suitable option. You can learn a lot of computer related things on the internet and books as well as having no debt.

ReputationRep:
    Well no one ever replies maybe if I made the thread title "video of man giving cat rim job" it would trick people in. Also Im not eligible for an a apprenticeship I've tried.

ReputationRep:
    Well no one ever replies maybe if I made the thread title "video of man giving cat rim job" it would trick people in. Also Im not eligible for an a apprenticeship I've tried.
    I've replied on numerous threads, as have other people

People might not quote you on the responses, but they do respond, it's your job to check the thread frequently.

Furthermore it makes it quite difficult when you don't quote people

ReputationRep:

Anyway, back on topic

Give us more details on your situation then further recommendations can be made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Binary Freak)
    Anyway, back on topic

Give us more details on your situation then further recommendations can be made
    Well I don't really know what further info to give really... I dont currently hold any IT qualifications... studied business for around 6 years achieved a foundation degree as I dropped out off the final year due to health/family commitments.. currently work in sainsburys.. looking for a career tbh, I have a 3 year old child and a gf who I financially support abd look after e.g rent, food etc I'm currently age 24 so it's ticktock really.

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't really know what further info to give really... I dont currently hold any IT qualifications... studied business for around 6 years achieved a foundation degree as I dropped out off the final year due to health/family commitments.. currently work in sainsburys.. looking for a career tbh, I have a 3 year old child and a gf who I financially support abd look after e.g rent, food etc
    That information is good enough.

If that's the case, then you should consider getting the CompTIA trio (A+, N+, Sec+) while looking for an entry IT job.

EDIT: If you want further advice then just ask

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You remind me off that guy who was on TSR long while ago, his username was Skeppy and he had similar backstory, did foundation degree. Didn't complete top up year, works in retail and got bills to pay etc. He always was on the IT section of TSR. You could always go back to uni if you wanted to, do foundation degree in IT or try apprenticeship or working based programme of some sort. Try and use Linkedin, its social media site that people use to network with others. Many people from IT industry are on it and you could ask for some advice. Try building your CV with some voluntary experience. IT tech support is not bad, but first line/helpdesk won't be any more then any other minimum wage job.
    There are lot more to IT then IT support, that you should consider. Web development, databases, programming, project management.

Below are few websites that can help you get started.
    http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
    https://www.netacad.com/web/about-us...certifications
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Myself, I do Business and IT in uni and its alright, I enjoy the business modules more then IT. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vibenation)
    You remind me off that guy who was on TSR long while ago, his username was Skeppy and he had similar backstory, did foundation degree. Didn't complete top up year, works in retail and got bills to pay etc. He always was on the IT section of TSR. You could always go back to uni if you wanted to, do foundation degree in IT or try apprenticeship or working based programme of some sort. Try and use Linkedin, its social media site that people use to network with others. Many people from IT industry are on it and you could ask for some advice. Try building your CV with some voluntary experience. IT tech support is not bad, but first line/helpdesk won't be any more then any other minimum wage job.
    There are lot more to IT then IT support, that you should consider. Web development, databases, programming, project management.

Below are few websites that can help you get started.
    http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/
    https://www.netacad.com/web/about-us...certifications
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/

Myself, I do Business and IT in uni and its alright, I enjoy the business modules more then IT. Good luck.
    isn't helpdesk and support the same thing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.