Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    First off, a warning: this post is long, so please bear with me
    I am sure that there have been many threads like this before, and whilst I took the time to find them, not all of my questions were answered so I decided to post my own.
    First off, allow me to introduce myself. I would not class myself as 'unintelligent' or not having the mental capacity to study medicine at university. I have always been the type of person to revise for exams a couple of days beforehand, or even the night before. I applied this strategy to my GCSEs and achieved decent results: 4 A*s, 5As, B (maths is the bane of my life). Unfortunately, out of sheer habit and foolishness I decided to apply this method of revising to my AS exams, only to open my results to the tune of a C in English Literature, D in Biology, E in Chemistry and a U in Maths.
    I understand that I am most likely going to be mocked for still being determined to do medicine after such horrific results, or some will at least attempt to dissuade me. I do not mind such comments as I would like everyones honest opinion and advice.
    Currently my plan is to resit Biology and Chemistry (I've read that if you 'achieve' a U in a subject, you'll be forced to resit anyway, so maths is a given). I know that I can achieve an A in Biology at least, it was easy for me to get As or Bs in my tests during the year if I revised. Chemistry I find more difficult, but I understand that I did nowhere near enough revision and as a result I am confident that I would be able to pull the E up with a resit. Maths is...Maths, but I know that I can do better than a U. As for the mark in English Literature, I achieved 29/30 in both of my coursework pieces and I would say that that is the subject which I find easiest, although I have discovered to my detriment that actually, even English Literature demands revision at AS level.
    If you are still here (and I thank you if you are ), is there any advice you could give me? I have always planned to drop maths for A2 and given my result, I dare say that will not be an issue. Is there a possibility that I will not be allowed to resit those AS levels during the same time as A2? Also, will universities be able to see that I have resat some AS modules and the grades I initially received?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaineCoon)
    Hi,
    I am sure that there have been many threads like this before, and whilst I took the time to find them, not all of my questions were answered so I decided to post my own.
    First off, allow me to introduce myself. I would not class myself as 'unintelligent' or not having the mental capacity to study medicine at university. I have always been the type of person to revise for exams a couple of days beforehand, or even the night before. I applied this strategy to my GCSEs and achieved decent results: 4 A*s, 5As, B (maths is the bane of my life). Unfortunately, out of sheer habit and foolishness I decided to apply this method of revising to my AS exams, only to open my results to the tune of a C in English Literature, D in Biology, E in Chemistry and a U in Maths.
    I understand that I am most likely going to be mocked for still being determined to do medicine after such horrific results, or some will at least attempt to dissuade me. I do not mind such comments as I would like everyones honest opinion and advice.
    Currently my plan is to resit Biology and Chemistry (I've read that if you 'achieve' a U in a subject, you'll be forced to resit anyway, so maths is a given). I know that I can achieve an A in Biology at least, it was easy for me to get As or Bs in my tests during the year if I revised. Chemistry I find more difficult, but I understand that I did nowhere near enough revision and as a result I am confident that I would be able to pull the E up with a resit. Maths is...Maths, but I know that I can do better than a U. As for the mark in English Literature, I achieved 29/30 in both of my coursework pieces and I would say that that is the subject which I find easiest, although I have discovered to my detriment that actually, even English Literature demands revision at AS level.
    If you are still here (and I thank you if you are ), is there any advice you could give me? I have always planned to drop maths for A2 and given my result, I dare say that will not be an issue. Is there a possibility that I will not be allowed to resit those AS levels during the same time as A2? Also, will universities be able to see that I have resat some AS modules and the grades I initially received?
    Thank you
    Are you going to resit your AS year, or go onto A2 and resit them with your A2 exams? If you're serious about going into Medicine, I'd really suggest the first option. Even if your teachers predict you A*, I don't think any university will consider you for Medicine because you have to put your AS grades down on your UCAS application. You'll be up against students with straight A's in their AS Levels. Also, yes... universities will be able to see that you're resitting your AS Levels. Your teachers will put it in their references too.

I'd also suggest that you drop your English Literature and focus on the other three. You got a decent grade at AS, but it isn't really relevant to Medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Are you going to resit your AS year, or go onto A2 and resit them with your A2 exams? If you're serious about going into Medicine, I'd really suggest the first option. Even if your teachers predict you A*, I don't think any university will consider you for Medicine because you have to put your AS grades down on your UCAS application. You'll be up against students with straight A's in their AS Levels. Also, yes... universities will be able to see that you're resitting your AS Levels. Your teachers will put it in their references too.

I'd also suggest that you drop your English Literature and focus on the other three. You got a decent grade at AS, but it isn't really relevant to Medicine.
    Yes, I plan to resit during my A2 year as I know that taking 3 years to achieve good results would make even securing an interview very difficult. Although I can understand why you suggest I drop Literature, I plan on continuing it to A2 as I know that I will be able to achieve a high grade. I am sure that I would not be able to cope with A2 level Maths without requiring some sort of counselling haha.
    Thank you for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I plan to resit during my A2 year as I know that taking 3 years to achieve good results would make even securing an interview very difficult. Although I can understand why you suggest I drop Literature, I plan on continuing it to A2 as I know that I will be able to achieve a high grade. I am sure that I would not be able to cope with A2 level Maths without requiring some sort of counselling haha.
    Thank you for your advice
    Although resitting doesn't look great, I really would suggest resitting AS on it's own. It will look better than seeing D, E and U on your application. Dropping Maths for Literature is an option, because Biology and Chemistry are the two requirements. However, I'm 100% sure that you will not even be considered for a place for Medicine with those AS results. The majority of Medicine applicants have straight A's in their GCSEs and AS Levels.

That's just my two-penny's worth. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    The revise at the last minute strategy is definitely not an option at A-level, I found this out the first time at school as well!
    As Revel says, you have 2 options: either resit your AS year or resit AS papers in your A2 year. The latter is possible as well if you apply in a gap year instead of during your A2 year, which means you will have your A-level grades 'in the bag', making you a more attractive applicant and avoiding the issue of your first AS results, it also means that you can concentrate on the UKCAT/BMAT and work experience which are very important.
    I didn't exactly do this, as I decided i wanted to do medicine after 6th form (also after my gap year!), and i had to re-take chemistry from scratch (different exam board and everything) as I got a C first time (extenuating circumstances) and take bio and psych for the first time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Although resitting doesn't look great, I really would suggest resitting AS on it's own. It will look better than seeing D, E and U on your application. Dropping Maths for Literature is an option, because Biology and Chemistry are the two requirements. However, I'm 100% sure that you will not even be considered for a place for Medicine with those AS results. The majority of Medicine applicants have straight A's in their GCSEs and AS Levels.

That's just my two-penny's worth. Good luck.
    I do not plan on applying to Medicine at the start of Year 13 as I completely understand that my application will not be taken seriously. As well as that, no teacher would be willing to predict me an A or an A* in their subject given my current results. Therefore I am currently planning to resit my AS levels during my A2 year, take a gap year and do some volunteering work (build up my profile, etc) and then apply.

ReputationRep:
    I do not plan on applying to Medicine at the start of Year 13 as I completely understand that my application will not be taken seriously. As well as that, no teacher would be willing to predict me an A or an A* in their subject given my current results. Therefore I am currently planning to resit my AS levels during my A2 year, take a gap year and do some volunteering work (build up my profile, etc) and then apply.
    Oh, that sounds a better option than applying this year. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theresheglows)
    The revise at the last minute strategy is definitely not an option at A-level, I found this out the first time at school as well!
    As Revel says, you have 2 options: either resit your AS year or resit AS papers in your A2 year. The latter is possible as well if you apply in a gap year instead of during your A2 year, which means you will have your A-level grades 'in the bag', making you a more attractive applicant and avoiding the issue of your first AS results, it also means that you can concentrate on the UKCAT/BMAT and work experience which are very important.
    I didn't exactly do this, as I decided i wanted to do medicine after 6th form (also after my gap year!), and i had to re-take chemistry from scratch (different exam board and everything) as I got a C first time (extenuating circumstances) and take bio and psych for the first time
    If I may ask, what kind of volunteering were you able to find during your gap year? I think it'll be rather difficult for me to find a clinical or hospital placement on my own as all of the hospitals that I have contacted offer placements through school (I was able to apply for and secure a place for hospital work experience through my school).
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Oh, that sounds a better option than applying this year. Good luck
    Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    If you are so determined on studying Medicine, then the last thing I would suggest is resitting the whole AS year. I would say carry onto A2, retake everything alongside A2 units. If you want to do this, then you can't just revise last minute. People go into GCSE without revision and come out with great grades but that doesn't apply to A-Levels. Since you are aware of that now, I'm sure you won't make the same mistake...

I suggest you take a gap year after finishing up you A2 units. Then apply, that way you will have your results at hand, you can take time to revise for your UKCAT/BMAT and you can gain experience to liven up your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    If I may ask, what kind of volunteering were you able to find during your gap year? I think it'll be rather difficult for me to find a clinical or hospital placement on my own as all of the hospitals that I have contacted offer placements through school (I was able to apply for and secure a place for hospital work experience through my school).
    Thank you
    I volunteered in my local community hospital, nothing exciting, but it showed commitment. It was difficult to find out who to talk to about getting into it. I had to ring and email a whole load of volunteering organisations and NHS people before I got the contact information for my local trusts volunteer coordinator, once I contacted her it was quite easy, she said they were desperate for volunteers!

I would also like to say that you don't need to have 3 science/maths unless you want to apply to oxbridge or a london college. I applied with bio, chem and psych as the a-levels that they based my offer on. If you think you have a better chance of getting A in english than in maths then go for that, it's the three As that are important as long as you have 2 sciences (including chem for most units).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemlover12)
    If you are so determined on studying Medicine, then the last thing I would suggest is resitting the whole AS year. I would say carry onto A2, retake everything alongside A2 units. If you want to do this, then you can't just revise last minute. People go into GCSE without revision and come out with great grades but that doesn't apply to A-Levels. Since you are aware of that now, I'm sure you won't make the same mistake...

I suggest you take a gap year after finishing up you A2 units. Then apply, that way you will have your results at hand, you can take time to revise for your UKCAT/BMAT and you can gain experience to liven up your personal statement.
    Thanks for your advice I admit I'm rather confused by the notion of a gap year still. If I was to receive my A2 grades in August and I had decided to take a gap year, would that mean that I would apply in the October that I received my results or the next October?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your advice I admit I'm rather confused by the notion of a gap year still. If I was to receive my A2 grades in August and I had decided to take a gap year, would that mean that I would apply in the October that I received my results or the next October?

The october in the year which you had received your results. You should prepare for your UKCAT and BMAT during the summer because you will have to sit it before you send off your application in October. Preferably early Sept so you have time for your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Thank you
    You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by German123)
    You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper so please dont let those grades decide your fate. Also there are other options for example Btecs so its not completely the end of the world if you dont get the grades. You did the best that you could and if you have not i guess you have learnt your lesson that its though out there so be prepared...Remember life does not go in a straight line so dont stress of over exam results...as it is not all about going to Cambridge or oxford-you dont have to go there to make something good out of your life so do what suits you.

Always Remember "Winners are to busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

Edit: It is not all about a piece of paper with your name on it
    I'll keep that in mind, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep that in mind, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I would advise to retake a whole year, there's no way the universities would give you a chance with those grades and your predictions will be very low,, regardless of any other things you've done. Definitely retake the year and you will a much better chance and you will have more time to prepare for Ukcat and Bmat. Don't waste your time doing your A2 and then realising you can't so anything.

Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.