Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Advice from previous year 10's to upcoming year 10s? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    As a current year nine, set to be year ten in September, I know just how worrying it can be leading up the new term. Thats why I created this thread, so that previous year 10 and 11's can give advice to those just starting their GCSEs, and what to expect if like me, their school hasnt really told them anything!

ReputationRep:
    Yo there! Ive just finished my gcses this year. My advice is not to worry because the step up isn't bad at all. You should expect the same old with just a bit more material to learn. When it comes to exams, they're fine as long as you revise for them and look at past papers. That's about it. If you need any more advice ask me

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's were about having a basic understanding of the work. A-levels are about having a more indepth understanding of the same work and remembering it. A-levels are not so much about intelligence and understanding but more about wokring constantly to remember the information and apply it.

You will hear the phrase 'A-levels are hard' and 'they're a great jump up' but they are not. The amount of work is a jump up and the detail is slightly more but the intelligence levels required, and difficulty is similar.

ReputationRep:
    There are people discussing this kind of thing on the new year 10 thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2799031

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the most important advice coming from me is to make sure you concentrate in year 10 and make good notes, since you need them for year 11. I'm going into year 11 and I think I underestimated how important year 10 notes are. In year 11 you'll be rushing through trying to learn everything and you just want to dig out the notes from year 10 and then refresh your memory.

Also, don't slack. Easier said than done. But my biology teacher told me that the more you review your notes, the more you'll remember each time you remember more than you did before. You need to have the initiative and determination to study and revise. If you have friends who are messing around during lunch in the classroom and you feel like you need to go to the library to revise for an upcoming test, definitely go to the library.

Also build up good study habits because in year 11 you will have no time to adjust the way you revise.

Good luck

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.