Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Remark or just resit? Will universities still give me offers? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've talked about it too much on here ever since I got my AS results so I'll try and keep it short. I got a B in English Lit which was a huge shock considering I'm usually a "solid A student" in the subject and I want to do it at university. Its because I scraped a C in the LITB1 exam but my coursework helped me get a B.

The B isn't high. I got 155/200 for the whole course - I'm not the only one, most of my class are in the exact same position. I don't know if its worth remarking as I'm probably a good few marks from a B in the exam (I got 75 UMS I think)... I've not had the chance to speak to my teachers yet and I know this happens every year in the same exam, so I don't know what I should do I've also read sometimes the spec isn't easily understood by students and they misread the concept of the exam and fail to meet the AOs. But I did everything I could (every practice question, read mark schemes, examiners' reports) so I don't know what to do.

I will definitely be resitting because I need an A* next year... Will universities understand this too? (I got AAAB by the way if that could convince them it was a massive massive blip)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allypetal)
    I've talked about it too much on here ever since I got my AS results so I'll try and keep it short. I got a B in English Lit which was a huge shock considering I'm usually a "solid A student" in the subject and I want to do it at university. Its because I scraped a C in the LITB1 exam but my coursework helped me get a B.

The B isn't high. I got 155/200 for the whole course - I'm not the only one, most of my class are in the exact same position. I don't know if its worth remarking as I'm probably a good few marks from a B in the exam (I got 75 UMS I think)... I've not had the chance to speak to my teachers yet and I know this happens every year in the same exam, so I don't know what I should do

I will definitely be resitting because I need an A* next year... Will universities understand this too? (I got AAAB by the way if that would convince them it was a massive massive blip)
    AAAB is impressive. Unless you want to go to Oxbridge, I don't think you'll have any problems. It doesn't matter that you got a low B, a B is a B. Universities won't see your UMS marks. Just resit that exam in your A2 year and persuade your teacher to predict you an A on your UCAS application.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    AAAB is impressive. Unless you want to go to Oxbridge, I don't think you'll have any problems. It doesn't matter that you got a low B, a B is a B. Universities won't see your UMS marks. Just resit that exam in your A2 year and persuade your teacher to predict you an A on your UCAS application.

Good luck

Thank you I was considering Cambridge and my averages in the others are pretty decent (92% in the other 3) but because its the subject I want to do at degree I don't think its possible anymore... Not the end of the world I guess
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If most of your class are in the same position, it sounds as though your teacher failed to teach the unit correctly. Them saying that students "misread the concept of the exam and fail to meet the AOs" sound like they're trying to get out of it. But because of this, it does sound as though a remark won't make much difference. You could try it if you want to, but I'm sure there are better things you could spend your money on.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I was considering Cambridge and my averages in the others are pretty decent (92% in the other 3) but because its the subject I want to do at degree I don't think its possible anymore... Not the end of the world I guess
    Not going to Cambridge isn't the end of the world. There's plenty of other great universities.. Bath, Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Exeter, etc, etc.

What were the other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    Not going to Cambridge isn't the end of the world. There's plenty of other great universities.. Bath, Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Exeter, etc, etc.

What were the other subjects?

I definitely agree. History, English Language and RS (Philosophy & Ethics)... To be honest I'm rethinking my degree choice anyway and might do History or Theology. Just gutted to be honest with you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If most of your class are in the same position, it sounds as though your teacher failed to teach the unit correctly. Them saying that students "misread the concept of the exam and fail to meet the AOs" sound like they're trying to get out of it. But because of this, it does sound as though a remark won't make much difference. You could try it if you want to, but I'm sure there are better things you could spend your money on.
    Ugh if this is the case I will be so angry The other class in my sixth form did amazing (most got As) and I remember at the start of the year their teaching saying they weren't going to do The Great Gatsby for their exam as his class last year did badly using it (same situation this year)... My teacher chooses to do Gatsby again this year. Feels like too much of a recurring coincidence :mad:

ReputationRep:
    How do you work out averages based on UMS please??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree. History, English Language and RS (Philosophy & Ethics)... To be honest I'm rethinking my degree choice anyway and might do History or Theology. Just gutted to be honest with you
    Impressive results!
    An A in English Language shows a lot of potential in English Literature if you put your mind to it. If you really have doubts about your choice of degree I'd just suggest leaving the Literature grades as they are and hope to do better at A2. Good luck
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Ugh if this is the case I will be so angry The other class in my sixth form did amazing (most got As) and I remember at the start of the year their teaching saying they weren't going to do The Great Gatsby for their exam as his class last year did badly using it (same situation this year)... My teacher chooses to do Gatsby again this year. Feels like too much of a recurring coincidence :mad:
    Unfortunately, that makes it sound even more like the teachers messed up. There's probably not much you can do about it though. The best you can hope for is that they pay for resits if you decide to take any.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.