Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just received my AS Level results with 4As in English Literature, History, Politics and Art...
    I performed a lot better than expected (mainly predicted Bs) so now it has sort of switched up the way I'm looking at unis, I'm hoping to study History with perhaps a year studying abroad. (<< any extra advice on if this affects grades would be great too!)

The only problem is that I didn't do so well at GCSE, I got 1A*, 3As, 4Bs and 2Cs, so my main question is will top unis hold this against me?
    I was looking at UCL, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick and maybe even Oxford (who would never take me with those GCSE's, or that's what I've been made to believe)
    I just need some sort of guidance with this before I start making choices, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydiacl)
    I just received my AS Level results with 4As in English Literature, History, Politics and Art...
    I performed a lot better than expected (mainly predicted Bs) so now it has sort of switched up the way I'm looking at unis, I'm hoping to study History with perhaps a year studying abroad. (<< any extra advice on if this affects grades would be great too!)

The only problem is that I didn't do so well at GCSE, I got 1A*, 3As, 4Bs and 2Cs, so my main question is will top unis hold this against me?
    I was looking at UCL, Exeter, Bristol, Warwick and maybe even Oxford (who would never take me with those GCSE's, or that's what I've been made to believe)
    I just need some sort of guidance with this before I start making choices, thank you!
    Your GCSEs aren't bad at all!

GCSEs aren't that important unless it comes to something like Medicine. If you can have your teachers predict you A/A* on your UCAS application, I'd definitely say you have a good chance in all of those universities - including Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge takes into consideration your A-levels more than your GCSE, how about them? With relevant experience and a strong personal statement (plus good A2 grades) I don't see why Cambridge shouldn't take you on. You could also include some important factors like did you gain a higher pass rate than the school's average? If you did ... you're well in for a chance But if you didn't you could still get away with it with the thing's I mentioned above! Good luck.
    Oh and if it makes you feel any better I want to apply in for a Russel Group uni with crapper GCSE grades than you. 1 A* and 7B's, 1C, 1 Distinction, 1 Distinction + and a Pass. I haven't started AS yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)

GCSEs aren't that important unless it comes to something like Medicine. If you can have your teachers predict you A/A* on your UCAS application, I'd definitely say you have a good chance in all of those universities - including Oxford.
    I think Oxford might be a bit of a struggle with those GCSE's, take a look at the number of A* vs offer charts they tell you everything you need to know.

However the OP has some great AS levels that's should allow you to competitively apply to most unis in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Not Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge don't look at GCSEs, Oxford do.

Apply to Cambridge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the helpful answers! Hadn't even thought of Cambridge, I'll have a look now.

ReputationRep:

Hey, I didn't do particularly well in my GCSEs but got straight As in my AS levels. I'm hoping to do chemical engineering at somewhere like Imperial and Cambridge; unis care a lot more about your extra-curricular, diversity, work experience and most importantly - your A level results. A strong performance at A-levels makes your GCSE performance obsolete.

Honestly, don't be put off applying to the best unis. Best of luck! And well done on your A levels (and GCSEs)

ReputationRep:
    Is there a reason your GCSEs aren't the best? Was your school substandard? My GCSEs are very similar and I'm going to apply to Oxford this year, they look at your results in context to the performance of your school and if the school was bad they flag your results.

ReputationRep:
    I'd consider applying to Cambridge over Oxford tbh because they don't care as much about gcses remember though that Cambridge asks for ums scores. Not really answering teacher question, but I don't think Oxbridge offer a year abroad?

ReputationRep:

I got 1A*, 2As, 3Bs, 2Cs and 2Ds at GCSE.... got A*A*A in A-Levels this year and am going to Warwick.
    Got into Durham, Bath and Warwick and had interviews at Imperial and Cambridge.
    The best advice I can give you: never lose motivation. If you want something so bad nothing will get in your way.

ReputationRep:

Try Cambridge over Oxford. They place more emphasis on A-Levels over GCSEs as they state on their website:

"We believe a-levels are a better measure of ones potential based on studies carried out"

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I want to apply to those university for aeronautical engineering,

Imperial(A*A*A)
    Leeds(AAA)
    Bath(A*AA)
    Bristol(A*AA)
    Sheffield(AAB)

I just got my AS result yesterday,

Maths:A
    Physics:A
    Geography:B
    85% UMS in average

while I will get my A2 further maths qualification next year.
    Should I still apply to imperial?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)

I wouldn't say Oxbridge, but definetly all the others. Well done on your results!

ReputationRep:

Your GCSEs are fine for those unis with the exception of Oxford, probably. They seem like good choices, but bear in mind that it would be a good idea to have a choice that could be your insurance; iirc all of the unis you've mentioned require AAA+.

How high were the As in terms of percentages? If you got an average of 85%+ in your top three Cambridge might well be worth a shot.

ReputationRep:
    I got 84%, 86%, 85% and 81%, with 3 modules above 90%
    However, I did also get a C and a B in my modules (the C was in Eng Lit coursework, only worth 25% of AS)
    Seriously thinking of applying to Cambridge but I don't know if I can without getting As in every module!
    (Choosing between Trinity Hall and King's right now- if anyone had insight into this that would be great)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.