Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got the grades...
    Got the student loan...
    Got the accommodation...
    Everything sorted...

Except it's not.
    Now that I know I'm set to go, I feel less set than I've ever been... Suddenly I'm having all these second thoughts, to get a First in Engineering (which is what I need) you apparently have no spare time after the first year, constantly working. I don't know if I can grow up that fast, or particularly want to... I've only just turned 18, and want to experience youth life for more than a year.

Is going to University basically signing away my life after one year?

ReputationRep:
    No, and since your 18 u will have to grow up. (Not trying to sound harsh). Life is not just about partying, enjoying your 'youth' also involves discovering new things. I don't believe it's a good idea for u to take a gap year just because of ur youth.
    I'm doing engineering, aiming for a first and I also know many students who r also achieving firsts or finished with firsts in engineering and they didn't spend all their time working, doing nothing with their life but staying locked up at home lol. If you're organised and able to set yourself a schedule plan, u can do well and still enjoy yourself. Obviously if u have an assignment due, or an exam in a weeks time, stay home and finish it/ study for it, instead of going out. Bare in mind that when it comes to final year, a lot of students go out less and focus more on their work which is advised for your last year. 2nd year of engineering involves quite a lot of group work and a lot more assignments then the first year, u still need to be organised for this, but u can also still enjoy urself. Depending on what course u have chosen, there are particular events that u can participate in eg I'm doing Chemical Engineering (going to my final year). With my course there is an event called Frank Morton each year, where students from all Uni's that do this course come together and compete against one another in sports and other stuff. This event involves a looooottttt of drinking and partying, but it's also around the time that u have a major group project. The Uni is always kind enough to give us 3 days off for this event so it all works out (it's like a 3 or 2 day event).

Just try and be organised, work out study times and this will help u when it comes to going out and enjoying urself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NuriaM)
    Just try and be organised, work out study times and this will help u when it comes to going out and enjoying urself.
    Well said thanks, definitely swayed my opinion a bit . But for the record it's not just me wanting to go out constantly, I worry whether I'll be able to pull off a First regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis.pf)
    Well said thanks, definitely swayed my opinion a bit . But for the record it's not just me wanting to go out constantly, I worry whether I'll be able to pull off a First regardless.
    If u work hard, and be organised like I said u will be able to get a first. It's not going to be easy but the good thing about engineering is once u learn the theory u will be able to answer the questions, and even explain ur answers . Also use ur Uni lab to ur advantage, get as much practical knowledge to help u out with the theory, if u have a (eg) distillation column in the labs use it. What course u doing btw?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.