Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS level History Remark/Resit help? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so here's the deal: on Thursday, I got my AS level results: AAAC. The C was in AQA history. In the first paper, I got a B - 76/100 UMS, which I was expecting as I hadn't slept the night before my exam and it just went terribly - easily one of the worst exams I've ever done. However, the second exam was a low C - 63/100. I have never got less than an A in any of my practices for this exam, and apart from screwing up the first question a little (only worth 12 marks), I thought it went pretty damn well, so I'm obviously a little surprised, confused and frustrated.
    Now, I obviously intend to resit the C, because I want to carry on history (which was always the plan), rather than one of my other subjects. However, if I do that, could I also resit the B exam? Or could I have the B remarked, and resit the C? Does anybody know of my options? I can't go into college until Monday, so any guidance is appreciated

ReputationRep:
    You can re-sit both, since you will probably not be doing any other re-sits. Two re-sits should be manageable. I personally would be cautious about remarks, I've never had one, despite being just 1 mark overall from an A* in my GCSE Geography. I was, and remain paranoid about it going down- not to mention the fact that it's not a small amount of money to lose, if, as is quite likely, your grade does not go up.

Personally I'd re-sit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathrynrose)
    Ok, so here's the deal: on Thursday, I got my AS level results: AAAC. The C was in AQA history. In the first paper, I got a B - 76/100 UMS, which I was expecting as I hadn't slept the night before my exam and it just went terribly - easily one of the worst exams I've ever done. However, the second exam was a low C - 63/100. I have never got less than an A in any of my practices for this exam, and apart from screwing up the first question a little (only worth 12 marks), I thought it went pretty damn well, so I'm obviously a little surprised, confused and frustrated.
    Now, I obviously intend to resit the C, because I want to carry on history (which was always the plan), rather than one of my other subjects. However, if I do that, could I also resit the B exam? Or could I have the B remarked, and resit the C? Does anybody know of my options? I can't go into college until Monday, so any guidance is appreciated
    As Alex said, I'd be cautious about getting a remark in case your grade goes down. Having said that, your grade could go up, and, even if it were to go down it's most likely not going to go down dramatically.

You need to weigh out the different outcomes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex347_)
    You can re-sit both, since you will probably not be doing any other re-sits. Two re-sits should be manageable. I personally would be cautious about remarks, I've never had one, despite being just 1 mark overall from an A* in my GCSE Geography. I was, and remain paranoid about it going down- not to mention the fact that it's not a small amount of money to lose, if, as is quite likely, your grade does not go up.

Personally I'd re-sit.
    Ok, thank you very much! I had an exam remarked at GCSE which went up by 4 UMS, but I don't really feel like I'd be lucky enough for that to happen with my B exam :/ I know I also need to talk to my teacher about this, but I intend to carry on 2 languages (French and Spanish) and I'm a little worried that one resit would be too much pressure, let alone 2 :/ I also have to persuade my parents to let me - currently, they're trying to persuade me to continue Philosophy, which I detest, for more assurance of a better grade. Do you know of any ways to help me here? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revel)
    As Alex said, I'd be cautious about getting a remark in case your grade goes down. Having said that, your grade could go up, and, even if it were to go down it's most likely not going to go down dramatically.

You need to weigh out the different outcomes.
    I know, I just feel like there is no ideal outcome for me in this situation :/ I don't want to continue the subject I was going to drop, but which I got an A in, because I was sure that my History grade would be a B at its lowest :/ But thank you for your help!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.