Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone. If you are a student, coming to Brighton this September to study Law with Business then please post questions here, meet each other and join a Facebook group (Law with Business Degree 2014)

Look forward to meeting some fellow students!

Melissa

ReputationRep:
    Hey I wish to join Brighton however I'm afraid to join because I want to get into solicitors training contract and some of the firms ( do not wish to disclose names) told me that their law courses are not respected
    Could you advise on this , please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sollom)
    Hey I wish to join Brighton however I'm afraid to join because I want to get into solicitors training contract and some of the firms ( do not wish to disclose names) told me that their law courses are not respected
    Could you advise on this , please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey there! Unfortunately I cannot really advise you on that... of course universities like Cambridge or Oxford would get students better, possibly sometimes undeserved opportunities because of the name or title.

But I have only heard great things about this course and the department of Law at Brighton do everything possible to enrich your studies and open doors for opportunity. If you graduate with some experience, extra curricular, great advocacy skills and top marks for the whole 3 years - then how can someone tell you that you are not good enough!

There is an organisation, called Aspiring Solicitors - started by a student who attended Brighton University in recent years. Graduates from Brighton Uni, Law/Business course have approached him for help with CVs etc and a lot of them have succeeded in getting really good jobs at excellent law firms up and down the country.

I suppose some firms may not 'respect' the Brighton course because the entry requirements aren't tough enough.. luckily I am quite a few grade levels above them! But I love Brighton and I am attending university for a complete experience, somewhere you will live for at least 3 years of your life. So even though somewhere like Glasgow may have a good Law course, I would never study there even it was free and paid for.

The top rated universities, for Law are all rated on a whole range of different things. I believe that no matter where you study, if YOU want to do well and get recognised for being excellent at what you do, then only you can control your success in the long run.

Sorry that I can only offer opinion!

Over the next few weeks, you might get some more replies here to help answer your question!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.