The Student Room Group

can someone explain investment banking?

Basically I have decided that I want to work in an Investment Bank ( Yes along with the other billion or so people my age) . My father manages his own pension fund, and essentially "trades" with it in order to grow his pension with the view to buying an annuity or drawing it all out at 65. He also spread bets and has a great and vast knowledge of financial markets. However he is extremely annoying and frustrating when it comes to explaining things. He always shouts and get annoyed whenever I ask him to explain things to do with finance, mostly because his **** at explaining things.

I have tried to research investment banking online, but all of the material I come across does not seem to cater to my simplistic and non experienced brain. Could someone please comprehensively and concisely explain to me the role of an IB, the different departments and roles available and what they do. USING SIMPLE WORDS AND EXPLAINING THE BIG ONES.

other things that confuse me:
bonds
options
Original post by Adzman
Basically I have decided that I want to work in an Investment Bank ( Yes along with the other billion or so people my age) . My father manages his own pension fund, and essentially "trades" with it in order to grow his pension with the view to buying an annuity or drawing it all out at 65. He also spread bets and has a great and vast knowledge of financial markets. However he is extremely annoying and frustrating when it comes to explaining things. He always shouts and get annoyed whenever I ask him to explain things to do with finance, mostly because his **** at explaining things.

I have tried to research investment banking online, but all of the material I come across does not seem to cater to my simplistic and non experienced brain. Could someone please comprehensively and concisely explain to me the role of an IB, the different departments and roles available and what they do. USING SIMPLE WORDS AND EXPLAINING THE BIG ONES.

other things that confuse me:
bonds
options

Moved to the Investment banking thread to help you get a response :smile:
No offence, if you haven't the basic research skills to find out what a bank does, why would you decide you want to work in one?
Reply 3
Original post by Abdul-Karim
No offence, if you haven't the basic research skills to find out what a bank does, why would you decide you want to work in one?

This
Reply 4
lol you have absolutely no chance if you cant even figure out what an investment bank does from google
Reply 5
I always felt that wikipedia (investment banking) gave a very good introduction to what an investment bank does and the industry. I would give the page a read, click on links for the terms that you don't understand, and build up a basic view of investment banking that way. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Investment_banking. I'm sure that if you find specific terms that you don't understand on this page, then people on the forum would be more than willing to give extra insight into specific questions. I also think RBS tend to give a good overview of the divisions of an investment bank, and what each of them do. https://www.rbsbankyoubuild.com/business-areas. My advice would be to give those links a read and build up your basic knowledge, then ask follow on questions here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending